Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electric Fan Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-19 | 06:11 PM
Steezus97
Driver School Candidate

Default Electric Fan Conversion

I recently did a electric Fan conversion. Since I couldnt find the size belt to bypass the Hydro Pump I went out of my way to find it. As well as I used the Flex-a-Lite 16 inch Fan from oreillys. Also my switch is a 30Amp with a light. If anyone has question feel free to Contact me.

Old 09-25-19 | 01:25 AM
KahnBB6

I am not sure one fan will be enough to keep your cooling system in check especially on hot days. The stock mechanical fan with the shroud should have been capable of flowing around 3300 CFM. Few electric fan setups come close to that. The 2001-2005 Lexus IS300 twin electric fan setup with integrated shroud is a common proven and rock solid alternative that Supra and SC folks have used in the past.

I would highly recommend at the very least switching from one electric fan to twin electric fans covering as much surface area of the radiator as possible, wiring them to operate in unison. That probably means you could come close to a 25-30 Amp draw depending on the spec of both fans.

But as you have your current fan setup that really doesn't look like it's enough by itself and not getting any air moving on the rest of the surface area of that radiator. The last thing you want is to encounter less than optimum weather one day and have that single fan overwhelmed and unable to keep your engine properly cool.

Search "IS300 electric fan conversion" with keywords "SC", "Supra" or "MKIV".

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...at-bad.675992/

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...n-sc400-2.html

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...lation.503815/

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-13856941

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...n-sc400-2.html

Last edited by KahnBB6; 09-25-19 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09-25-19 | 03:56 AM
Steezus97
Driver School Candidate

I live in Vegas. Summers here are over 100° all season. The fan is more than adequate. I've never had any cooling issues. I wouldnt have posted this if it was ineffective.
Old 09-25-19 | 10:56 AM
KahnBB6

Fair enough. I only intended to pass on the info to help as electric fan conversions have been a long recurring topic with these cars.

If your setup works well even in 100F ambient temperatures then very good!
Old 09-25-19 | 01:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

One good quality fan can probably do the job fine. That fan does have a small shroud around the blades so it should do ok, but looks like one of the generic ones so not sure on CFM.
You actually don't need the whole large shroud that covers the radiator with an electric fan, that just equalizes the air moving across the whole width but at any given point the amount of air moving across will be less.
Since the whole height of the radiator is covered by the fan, the coolant will see a cooled portion anyways, so you won't see a huge difference putting that electric fan on a wide shroud, especially if the shroud does not seal very well to the radiator (then your fan is pulling air from the sides instead of through the radiator.

On a stock mechanical fan, the fan is generally not that close to the radiator, cause well the engine moves around.
Also, the mechanical fan has CFM's to spare since its engine driven, so even though the shroud is equalizing the flow you will still have plenty of CFM.

On my vette I run one large 17" Derale 18217 High Output Radiator Fan which claims 2400 CFMs, and it can keep that motor at 160 degrees no problem in a car where the radiator is angled funny.
When I stick that fan behind an aluminum radiator shroud, which I have and removed, it actually didn't help anything, and at times performed worse (until I sealed all the edges).

Good find on the belt. Just for future readers looking to do this, you can also grab a ls400 radiator fan pulley (for a mechanical fan) and simply not install the mechanical fan.
Then you can run the OEM belt and the ls400 pulley acts as a idler, and is there in case you ever want to run a mechanical fan later.

This is how its done on the 2jz's etc.. leave the pulley and just remove the fan.
I have heard of people disabling the hydro pulley on the SC4 to act like the old kind, but to me it's cleaner/simpler to install the ls400 fan pulley when removing the hydro stuff.
I am not sure if you can use the 2UZ bracket, as the 2uz got a normal fan, but if its the same those are probably easier to find in a yard.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 09-25-19 at 01:46 PM.