Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

93 sc 400 last issue, warm air blows up

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-19, 10:09 AM
STOMPCATS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 sc 400 last issue, warm air blows up

From under the steering wheel while driving. Is this a broken heater core thing a ma jig? On hot day gets annoying, actually it puts me in sleep mode while driving. Which is never good. Is my heater floor vent stuck open from engine area. Or is this an issue needing attention? And I forgot to thank any and everybody that reads or helps me with my 3 questions on my relatively new to me sc400. With 222,000 in California. Forgot to mention that all display does not work on a/c/heater unit......and I am almost 90 % sure the heater is not on. 10% not so sure. Thanks again.

Last edited by STOMPCATS; 10-02-19 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Forgot pertinent info
Old 10-02-19, 05:01 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

The diagnosis I can't comment on yet.

For the climate control screen you can send that entire unit in to Tanin Auto Electronix and they can repair it with a brand new LCD.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ma jig" but if there is any major problem with the heater core it would be best to either send in your original (a BIG dash-comes-out procedure anyway) or find a new 92-95 heater core for an SC300/400 and send it in to "The Brassworks" in Paso Robles, CA. (805) 239-2501. A couple of Supra owners have used them to get new brass heater cores built using their originals as templates for them to copy. Lexus no longer stocks new ones for SC's.

Hopefully that is not your issue though.

What may be happening is that one of your servos behind the dash may be having an issue... possibly the "Air Outlet" or "Mode" HVAC servo. While no longer available they can be reconditioned. The problem in your case is that since the HVAC screen is not working you will not be able to see the information on it if you activate the HVAC diagnostic mode yourself to see if any HVAC-specific error codes are being thrown.

So you'd need to have a working HVAC controller screen first before you can determine via the computer if one of those servos or a sensor behind the dash has gone on the fritz.

To recondition any of the servos behind the dash (after following the "DIY Weekend Dash Removal" guide thread to remove as much of the SC's dash as you would need to in order to get to it).... you would follow this guide to get your affected servo working again.

But first unfortunately I think you will need to have your HVAC/climate control screen repaired so that you can then run the diagnostic mode and tell if any of the servos or other sensors are malfunctioning.

Old 05-03-20, 09:49 AM
MarkEvans
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *** sorry, please ignore ***

*** sorry, posted on wrong thread, will try to delete ***

Last edited by MarkEvans; 05-03-20 at 09:52 AM. Reason: posted on wrong thread by mistake