Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rear Diff options (besides SC and Supra)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19 | 08:09 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Default Rear Diff options (besides SC and Supra)

Hey folks.

I am in need of an rear diff now.

I did a search but I think I must have miss typed something cause I did not get good results.

I read the thread in the Mega DIY on ratios which helped a bit but that only covered what came in what year of the SC.

Looking online at pictures and it appears that the GS may share the same rear.

I'm not looking for perfection here, or an LSD, I just need a diff without a sloppy pinion and there seem to be more GS diffs around me the SC.

And help would be great!

Thank you!
Old 10-05-19 | 01:23 AM
KahnBB6

With a GS diff you would still need to re-use the companion flange from your original SC diff (and get it professionally swapped on at a driveline shop to maintain correct pinion depth.

The SC uses the 101mm spaced companion flange while the MKIV and GS both use the 111mm spaced companion flange.

Which SC version do you have and if an SC300 are you running boost or are you NA?

Old 10-05-19 | 10:38 AM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
With a GS diff you would still need to re-use the companion flange from your original SC diff (and get it professionally swapped on at a driveline shop to maintain correct pinion depth.

The SC uses the 101mm spaced companion flange while the MKIV and GS both use the 111mm spaced companion flange.

Which SC version do you have and if an SC300 are you running boost or are you NA?
Thank You for the information!

I have a 1993 SC400.

The build has been on the cheap side since it's a car I've slowly been revitalizing for daily use, so I'm not looking for anything upgrade. Just need a diff. I'll keep my eyes peeled and see what places like LKQ have to offer.
Old 10-05-19 | 12:45 PM
KahnBB6

Just a replacement makes it easier. What quirks are you getting from your stock rear diff?

The easiest replacement you’re going to be able to find without changing anything major will be a rear diff from any 1992-1997 SC400 with the same 3.92:1 ratio. You’ll also then avoid swapping companion flanges.

The GS400 didn’t come along until the 1998 model year and had a 3.26:1 ratio. The GS300’s had 4.27:1 and 4.08:1 ratios for their production years.

FYI if it ever comes down to a rebuild you can buy all-inclusive 200mm diff rebuild kits from Driftmotion. The only thing they do not include is side shims since those are Toyota-only and on a need to order by sizing/thickness basis IF the driveline shop determines the stock shims are out of spec.

Good luck with your search! I have seen more SC400’s at LKQ yards in the past for what it’s worth.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-05-19 | 03:10 PM
Yotafun
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Just a replacement makes it easier. What quirks are you getting from your stock rear diff?

The easiest replacement you’re going to be able to find without changing anything major will be a rear diff from any 1992-1997 SC400 with the same 3.92:1 ratio. You’ll also then avoid swapping companion flanges.

The GS400 didn’t come along until the 1998 model year and had a 3.26:1 ratio. The GS300’s had 4.27:1 and 4.08:1 ratios for their production years.

FYI if it ever comes down to a rebuild you can buy all-inclusive 200mm diff rebuild kits from Driftmotion. The only thing they do not include is side shims since those are Toyota-only and on a need to order by sizing/thickness basis IF the driveline shop determines the stock shims are out of spec.

Good luck with your search! I have seen more SC400’s at LKQ yards in the past for what it’s worth.
I have a good clunk, and a bad whine on decel.
It was getting worse on my 40 mile commute home last night, I noticed the whine with my bud on the way back from dinner. I am going to jack up the rear and see if there is any pinion play too.
I have a bad vibration through the drive line since I got the car and I am curious if the pinion bearing may be going bad too. I plan on replacing the transmission mount, and at least the driveshaft carrier bearing. I'd like to do the drive shaft flanges too but they are money, I am trying to spread out what I spend on this car.

I didn't want to do them to later, but since I am replacing the rear diff, might as well do the solid diff bushing I wanted to do too.

Thanks, I was up at a junkyard near me and just missed an SC400 that had been in the yards -_-