Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992 SC is Flooding 2 Cylinders, Injectors test OK

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-19, 03:44 PM
EXCellR8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I've been at it for the last couple of days and I still haven't been able to get the car fired up. I did end up swapping all of the injectors because, as it turns out, injector on cyl #1 was flooding the cylinder when key is on; without engine being cranked. Spent an afternoon removing the manifold and pulling the rail out. I also drained the oil and removed the filter which ended up being a bear for some reason.

Everything is back together and the engine is cranking fine, but not firing. To my understanding the order is 1-5-3-6-2-4 and I've double checked the plug wires. Not sure why it's not sparking up but I'm going to take a break for now. Will have a look at the distributor cap tomorrow but my gut tells me that it's probably fine.

Will post back with update, good or bad.
Old 11-03-19, 06:35 PM
EXCellR8
Driver School Candidate

Bad.

Distributor is fine and there's plenty of spark. Sprayed some carb cleaner into the TB to see if it'd pop any with a sniff but I only ever heard a light grunt out of it. So, it appears that, even though there's fuel in the rail the injectors aren't being triggered for some reason. LOL I went from having way too much fuel to none at all... which in a way I guess is better but yea.

Think it might be time to pawn this one off on someone with more time and knowledge than myself.
Old 04-18-20, 10:30 AM
EXCellR8
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the big thread bump, but I wanted to update just in case anyone else is dealing with a similar situation. Plus, I had gotten a lot of good info from the users here.

I ended up (reluctantly) selling off the car to a buddy in January but it had to be trailered away, since I still couldn't get it running. Anyway, long story short after some time we finally figured out that the main ECU was indeed bad. I wasn't able to get it open before, for whatever reason, but the car's new owner had a spare from another wrecked car and the engine fired right up with the good ECU. He said there was a little bit of smoke but that it cleared up relatively quickly. Not sure if he's still got the car but AFAIK that was the problem.

Thanks again for the help!