Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel filter clogged? Or something I’m overlooking?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-19, 12:24 AM
subwriex
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel filter clogged? Or something I’m overlooking?

Hey guys,
so I’ve recently had issues with hesitation on my car. I’ve replaced caps and rotors spark plug wires, timing, spark plugs and checked my fuel pump. Even did a new maf sensor
Everything is 100% good but I have really bad hesitation after 5 minutes of driving. Then it seems like it misfires to the point it drops 4 cylinders and won’t accelerate at all, and if I leave it sitting with the bad idle, it kills the car. If I wait before it kills the car, I turn the key off and then turn it but it takes awhile to start or it starts right up, no in between, and does fine for 5 more minutes then repeats itself
any ideas?
92’ sc400
Old 12-11-19, 02:07 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

sounds most like like a bad fuel injector(s)

I would clean the IAC and throttle body as well.
Old 12-11-19, 06:54 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I would start by checking the ECU for capacitor leakage, then look into O2 sensor and open/closed loop behavior.
Old 12-11-19, 08:39 AM
subwriex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Moisture
sounds most like like a bad fuel injector(s)

I would clean the IAC and throttle body as well.

iac seems be okay. As it begins idling like ***, I can hear it pulling more air in. Sea foamed the engine and cleaned tb no change.
I put a screw driver on each injector it’s hitting each one
Old 12-11-19, 08:42 AM
subwriex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
I would start by checking the ECU for capacitor leakage, then look into O2 sensor and open/closed loop behavior.
I do have check engine light for o2 sensors but they come and go only at start up. If it’s cold start, it showes, but after it’s been running it doesn’t show until the car is put in drive and I start rolling, then it comes on again.
I haven’t checked the ecu for the leaking capacitors yet I’ll get around to it this afternoon. Hopefully that isn’t the case
Old 12-11-19, 08:48 AM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by subwriex
I do have check engine light for o2 sensors but they come and go only at start up. If it’s cold start, it showes, but after it’s been running it doesn’t show until the car is put in drive and I start rolling, then it comes on again.
I haven’t checked the ecu for the leaking capacitors yet I’ll get around to it this afternoon. Hopefully that isn’t the case
Replace the o2 sensors.

Usually that is hinting at another problem - specifically, bad injector spray pattern, a leaking injector, or excessive oil consumption.

Old 12-11-19, 09:07 AM
subwriex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
Originally Posted by Moisture
Replace the o2 sensors.

Usually that is hinting at another problem - specifically, bad injector spray pattern, a leaking injector, or excessive oil consumption.

I can’t remember if it was the downstream or upstream I think I have the codes written down.
But that’s weird as my car is super low and I noticed my o2 sensor wires were spliced and cut up about 5 months ago like fully apart every single wire but never had any issues up until recently. I went from firing only on 4 cylinders major rough idle to now this. All from a gas leak and I pulled the efi fuse during the repair
Old 12-11-19, 09:12 AM
subwriex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by subwriex
I can’t remember if it was the downstream or upstream I think I have the codes written down.
But that’s weird as my car is super low and I noticed my o2 sensor wires were spliced and cut up about 5 months ago like fully apart every single wire but never had any issues up until recently. I went from firing only on 4 cylinders major rough idle to now this. All from a gas leak and I pulled the efi fuse during the repair
i have code 27 and 29 as of early this morning 7 mst
Old 12-15-19, 04:46 AM
Infamous42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open the ecu and inspect.