Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1992-97 SC300 2JZ-GE build help

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 06:35 PM
JOEBRO
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1992-97 SC300 2JZ-GE build help

so im completely new to building/ turboing a N/A car and i was wondering if im just making it out harder than it need to be or if it really is that easy. Here is my parts list of what i want to do to the car
pistons
rods
cam
exhaust
turbo manifold
turbo
intercooler
intercooler piping
ecu
blowoff valves
wastegates
fuel pump
injectors
intake
wheels
tires
seats
clutch
tranny
steering wheel
afr gauge
boost gauge
boost controller
headlights
taillights
coil overs
calipers
rotors
brake lines
brake pads
head
valve cover
radiator
cam gears
e-85 conversion
headunit
speakers
harmonic balancer
body kit
paint
splitter
diffuser
underglow/interior lighting
TUNE
ceramic coating
besides all the aesthetic stuff is this all i need???
or do i just need a few of these things?
Old 01-12-20, 10:15 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

^^ Hello and welcome to the forum! You have a lot of the major things covered for the driveline but there are still a few more things to add to that list. Plus you have several aesthetic things touched on as well that will vary depending on what your car's body and interior will need.

The main questions we would pose to you here in order to be accurate about what else you'll need on that list are: what will your overall use of the car be (Daily, highway pull, drift car, track car, etc.)? How much horsepower do you want to build it for? What fuel type do you generally want to use? (since you mention an E85 flexfuel conversion I assume that is among your intentions) Automatic or manual?

Also what model year SC300 are you starting out with and will you be building its original engine block?
Old 01-12-20, 10:30 PM
JOEBRO
Driver School Candidate

Thanks!! well i would just like to daily, highway pull it. Ik ill have to change the drive shaft and the rear end eventually(when i want to build it for more power unless 4-500 is too much for the stock drive train) but for now i would just like to make around mid-high 400s on the stock block. The fuel ill mostly be using is E85 since i have plenty of gas stations with E85 near me.
95-97 are the years im going for(manual variant) But if i cant find those i would be fine with the automatic since ive heard you can manual swap this car
Old 01-14-20, 12:31 PM
KahnBB6

The manual variants actually were made from 1992-1997. 1996 and especially 1997 being the rarest manual SC's. You'll find that 1992-1994 manual SC's are the most common to find listed for sale.

Yes, you can manual swap these cars very easily. Between OEM manual parts there are also chassis specific aftermarket manual swap parts made by Xcessive Manufacturing. For turbo power with a manual you'll want to plan for an R154 5-speed, Nissan CD009 6-speed with a Collins 1JZ/2JZ bellhousing adapter kit or a Tremec T56 Magnum 6-speed. The V160/V161 Getrag is technically an option but no longer even a semi-realistic one at this point in time unless you just have to have one.

The trans tunnel openings on 92-94 SC300 factory 5-speeds are also a perfect direct drop in for ONLY the early SC W58 or ONLY an original 1991-1993 Soarer R154 transmission's factory shifter extension housing. Xcessive also makes a kit to replicate this setup on an MKIII Supra R154 trans from 86-92 which may be close to the same length for a 92-94 trans tunnel opening. 1995-1997 SC300 factory 5-speeds have a trans tunnel that allows for direct bolt-in of any R154 "tripod" transmission like factory.

Currently the only older type non-tripod R154 or non-tripod W58 short shifter on the market is made by Cube in Australia.

Conversely all automatic SC trans tunnels require cutting in some part of them to allow for the shifter for whatever transmission you will use to come through.

Also if you end up buying a late model 1998-2000 SC300 you will have to build the bottom end from the start if you plan to boost it. With the 92-97 SC300 blocks they are already as strong as a 2JZ-GTE's only with higher 10.0:1 compression pistons and thus only need a 2JZ-GTE OEM head gasket to drop compression down to 9.2:1 plus some ARP head bolts. This would be assuming that even with 200k-ish miles on the 92-97 block that a compression and leakdown test reveals good numbers across all cylinders.

If E85 is plentiful where you are then by all means take advantage of it. The fuel system will require upgrading to handle it as you know. Plenty of companies out there (Driftmotion, etc.) sell compatible E85 flex fuel components, pumps, etc. There are also off the shelf aftermarket engine wiring harnesses for SC's made for specific aftermarket ECUs that can handle E85 flex fuel but off-hand I don't know which to recommend.

If you are trying to keep the budget down the cheapest reliable non-E85 ECU solution you can use and wire your car for is the JDM Aristo 2JZ-GTE ECU. You would use the non-vvt-i version for any 2JZ-GE Non-VVT-i engine and the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i ECU for any 1998-00 2JZ-GE VVT-i engine. And there are guides here from both Gerrb and Ali SC3 which cover the use of these ECU's on an NA-T SC.
The following users liked this post:
JOEBRO (01-16-20)
Old 01-16-20, 09:17 PM
JOEBRO
Driver School Candidate

Default Wow Thanks so much!

Wow thank you so much! This is so helpful especially for noobs like me hahaha, I love car forums bc usually everyone trying to help knows more than you! Now I know a lot more than my friends, but I know like nothing compared to you man haha! Thank you so much I can't wait to get my sc300!

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The manual variants actually were made from 1992-1997. 1996 and especially 1997 being the rarest manual SC's. You'll find that 1992-1994 manual SC's are the most common to find listed for sale.

Yes, you can manual swap these cars very easily. Between OEM manual parts there are also chassis specific aftermarket manual swap parts made by Xcessive Manufacturing. For turbo power with a manual you'll want to plan for an R154 5-speed, Nissan CD009 6-speed with a Collins 1JZ/2JZ bellhousing adapter kit or a Tremec T56 Magnum 6-speed. The V160/V161 Getrag is technically an option but no longer even a semi-realistic one at this point in time unless you just have to have one.

The trans tunnel openings on 92-94 SC300 factory 5-speeds are also a perfect direct drop in for ONLY the early SC W58 or ONLY an original 1991-1993 Soarer R154 transmission's factory shifter extension housing. Xcessive also makes a kit to replicate this setup on an MKIII Supra R154 trans from 86-92 which may be close to the same length for a 92-94 trans tunnel opening. 1995-1997 SC300 factory 5-speeds have a trans tunnel that allows for direct bolt-in of any R154 "tripod" transmission like factory.

Currently the only older type non-tripod R154 or non-tripod W58 short shifter on the market is made by Cube in Australia.

Conversely all automatic SC trans tunnels require cutting in some part of them to allow for the shifter for whatever transmission you will use to come through.

Also if you end up buying a late model 1998-2000 SC300 you will have to build the bottom end from the start if you plan to boost it. With the 92-97 SC300 blocks they are already as strong as a 2JZ-GTE's only with higher 10.0:1 compression pistons and thus only need a 2JZ-GTE OEM head gasket to drop compression down to 9.2:1 plus some ARP head bolts. This would be assuming that even with 200k-ish miles on the 92-97 block that a compression and leakdown test reveals good numbers across all cylinders.

If E85 is plentiful where you are then by all means take advantage of it. The fuel system will require upgrading to handle it as you know. Plenty of companies out there (Driftmotion, etc.) sell compatible E85 flex fuel components, pumps, etc. There are also off the shelf aftermarket engine wiring harnesses for SC's made for specific aftermarket ECUs that can handle E85 flex fuel but off-hand I don't know which to recommend.

If you are trying to keep the budget down the cheapest reliable non-E85 ECU solution you can use and wire your car for is the JDM Aristo 2JZ-GTE ECU. You would use the non-vvt-i version for any 2JZ-GE Non-VVT-i engine and the 2JZ-GTE VVT-i ECU for any 1998-00 2JZ-GE VVT-i engine. And there are guides here from both Gerrb and Ali SC3 which cover the use of these ECU's on an NA-T SC.
Old 01-16-20, 09:20 PM
JOEBRO
Driver School Candidate

Default I plan on going budget at first

Like my title says I plan on going cheapER at first and then buying a completely separate 2jz and building it right and then buying good parts for everything else

Originally Posted by KahnBB6

Old 01-18-20, 01:25 PM
KahnBB6

No problem, glad to help!

These projects can add up over time and it's always many little unforeseen things that accumulate the cost and overall process (ask me how I know). The best thing is to plan ahead by knowing what you want and looking into the costs for most of the items and mini-projects you'll need to complete your build. Plan on the right components to meet the power level you want (with some room to give of course), plan for the right transmission, a good cooling system, good ECU control and wiring harness, the right diff, good brakes, etc., etc.

Building your 2JZ engine from the start can be a good way to get started for sure. I would also say that being on the lookout for the right SC300 throughout the process should be a priority too. They're all older cars now and you never know when the right car within your budget and in good condition will show up for sale.

The following users liked this post:
JOEBRO (01-18-20)