Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Why not a Soarer tranny and rearend

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-03, 07:55 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why not a Soarer tranny and rearend

Ok this weekend I was sitting on the hood of a 2.5 Soarer half cut listening to a guy go on about how much HP they were making with the 2.5 cars over in Japan... He then said "I love these cars because the drivetrain and physical motor can handle SO MUCH POWER".... I got to thinking if the soarer can handle alot of HP (and we know they are pretty strong) then instead of trying to find the ol so expensive Getrag why can't us turbo owners just use a Soarer tranny and rear end... Seems to me that it would all bolt up and the driveshaft would even work... I know nothing about the tranny at all thats in a 2.5 Soarer but seems like it would have to be stronger than the ones in the SC300 (just guessing now) and even seems like the rearend would be turbo friendly since it was built for one... Now for all I know it could be the same tranny as in the SC300 but just a thought... Someone please shed a little light on this for me... Thanks Tommy D
Old 08-28-03, 09:01 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if it would fit, but even if it did you would first have to find one of the rare suckers.
And don't forget that the 2.5's didn't make all that much horsepower than the 300's. The 300's tranny is capable of holding 450hp if driven nicely too. This has been proven by many here. So, even if it was different, I wouldn't see much advantage or even think Toyota would make it that much stronger.
Old 08-28-03, 11:29 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

The Soarer TT uses a Toyota R154 trans. Just need a 1jz bellhousing and the R154 from a MKIII turbo Supra. Have seen the bellhousings on Partstrader from time to time.. Swap in an MKIV auto TT diff, get a custom driveshaft, and you should be set (if you can't get the Soarer's driveline). Not sure right off how the gearing would be w/ the R154 and 3.7:1 Supra auto gears, but it seems like the easiest thing to do. Would probably go that route if I didn't already have a 6-spd tranny.

Last edited by Shellhouse; 08-28-03 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-29-03, 01:28 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by Slasher48
The Soarer TT uses a Toyota R154 trans. Just need a 1jz bellhousing and the R154 from a MKIII turbo Supra. Have seen the bellhousings on Partstrader from time to time.. Swap in an MKIV auto TT diff, get a custom driveshaft, and you should be set (if you can't get the Soarer's driveline). Not sure right off how the gearing would be w/ the R154 and 3.7:1 Supra auto gears, but it seems like the easiest thing to do. Would probably go that route if I didn't already have a 6-spd tranny.
Yeah the TT has the R154 with the JZ bellhousing.. but they are rare.. the R154 is much stronger than the W58. The bellhousing is available from Toyota, but the R154 from the Mk3 Supra is slightly different to the R154 from the Soarer. Shifter position for a start.. I haven't found any other differences yet, though I am sure there will be some.

I have a Mk3 R154 in my garage waiting to go in my V8 Soarer