Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jzge Non vvti Rough idle/stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-20, 03:46 PM
Pjx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jzge Non vvti Rough idle/stalling

Hello. I have a 2jzge non vvti engine my car ran fine for a while then I noticed hesitation and a horrible idle. After poking around I pulled the spark plug wires and saw that the spark plugs were filled with oil or water in the cyl no wonder it was misfiring so I cleaned everything out soaked my plugs in gasoline cleaned the wires thoroughly and put it back together it ran fine for about a week then bam started running like crap again same issue poor idle/hesitation so I pulled the plugs again sure enough Cyl #3 had oil so I ordered new valve cover gaskets they came in I replaced the valve cover gaskets cleaned the valve covers up with degreaser and then dowsed everything in acetone afterworlds to try and get rid of any moisture in the valve cover I could put it all back together and it ran fine for about 5 seconds then I had the same issue poor idle/ car stalls when running longer than 15-20 seconds and if you press the gas at all it completely falls on its face and stalls. I’m thoroughly confused if anyone has any insight or may be able to help I would highly appreciate it, thank you.
Old 03-19-20, 05:55 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

You definitely need to replace the valve cover gaskets/spark plug hold gaskets but it sounds as though you've already done that. I would also install new plugs (gapped correctly, you'll have to look up the correct gap), new wires, and maybe a new distributor cap and rotor. These parts are relatively cheap for this car, and it sounds like its at the age where it needs these things and they could be compromised.

Just to be clear, you only used acetone on the valve covers off of the motor correct? You didn't attempt to clean anything under the valve covers with acetone I'm assuming..
The following users liked this post:
Ali SC3 (03-19-20)
Old 03-19-20, 11:22 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Make sure oil isn't in there again, if its dry and still misfiring then probably time for new wires and also replace the cap and rotor (you can inspect them but if they are old it won't hurt).
Oh and also new plugs, that plug could be messed up from shorting to the cylinder head so many times, like cracks in insulation etc.. and also ground out.