Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1997 SC300 passenger door completely stuck.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-20, 12:24 AM
JustaGE
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 SC300 passenger door completely stuck.

I was at high school picking my sister up, and the door wouldn’t open, so she had to get in the back from my side. my door has been completely stuck ever since. how can i get my door open? the screws for the door panel are under the door jam, so i can’t get to them. the lock feels weird and the door handle doesn’t do anything.
Old 03-23-20, 06:46 AM
FatBrian81
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm going to ask some basic questions to get a better idea of exactly what's happening. So the exterior door handle doesn't work, have you tried the interior handle? You say the door lock feels odd, I imagine you used the key to manually unlock the door? If you hit the power locks does it sound like the actuator is working on that side?

This sounds like a door lock issue to me, its uncommon for both door handles to break at the same time. I would probably start with shooting some WD-40 into the lock cylinder and work it back and forth with the key to see if it frees up. I've had a similar issue with another car where the door locks tightened up with age and the actuators eventually got to the point where they couldn't move the cylinder far enough to unlock the door. This caused both door handles not to work because it was a Chevy and they're designed so that the lock being engaged disables both door handles.
Old 03-23-20, 12:52 PM
JustaGE
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatBrian81
I'm going to ask some basic questions to get a better idea of exactly what's happening. So the exterior door handle doesn't work, have you tried the interior handle? You say the door lock feels odd, I imagine you used the key to manually unlock the door? If you hit the power locks does it sound like the actuator is working on that side?

This sounds like a door lock issue to me, its uncommon for both door handles to break at the same time. I would probably start with shooting some WD-40 into the lock cylinder and work it back and forth with the key to see if it frees up. I've had a similar issue with another car where the door locks tightened up with age and the actuators eventually got to the point where they couldn't move the cylinder far enough to unlock the door. This caused both door handles not to work because it was a Chevy and they're designed so that the lock being engaged disables both door handles.
yeah i’m almost positive it’s either the lock actuator or one of the rods popped out of place. i’m gonna try messing around with the door more today, but i might just have to break in.