Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Autometer Oil Pressure Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-20, 09:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Where were you planning to install the oil temp gauge sensor and what adapter plate do you or did you have for it? It's possible that the oil temp sensor probe you have could be another thread and pitch type from 1/8" NPT

The best (most accurate) and easiest place is still the oil filter location, whereas that oil pressure sensor can be installed either at the oil filter or on the Lexus IS300 Union bolt you used for yours. Oil pressure can be taken nearly everywhere but oil temperature is more specific.
Old 04-13-20, 05:14 AM
BeigeSC300
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
The best (most accurate) and easiest place is still the oil filter location, whereas that oil pressure sensor can be installed either at the oil filter or on the Lexus IS300 Union bolt you used for yours. Oil pressure can be taken nearly everywhere but oil temperature is more specific.
I was thinking of getting a 1/8 NPT tee and using the same port on the oil switch adapter. But if there is a plate available just on the oil filter I would like that then I wouldn't have a mess of 1/8 not fittings hanging off the pressure switch.

Also have coolant temp and coolant press. No clue where to put these 1/8 NPT. Oh and fuel press too 1/8 npt any ideas for where to put these?
Old 04-13-20, 12:46 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by BeigeSC300
I was thinking of getting a 1/8 NPT tee and using the same port on the oil switch adapter. But if there is a plate available just on the oil filter I would like that then I wouldn't have a mess of 1/8 not fittings hanging off the pressure switch.

Also have coolant temp and coolant press. No clue where to put these 1/8 NPT. Oh and fuel press too 1/8 npt any ideas for where to put these?
For the oil filter sandwich plate I used a Mishimoto P/N #MMOP-TPS:

That IS300 Union Bolt location where you tapped for the oil pressure sensor is not a good location to monitor oil temperature since it's a dead end that doesn't have oil flowing past it constantly the way the oil filter location can provide. Your oil temp sensor on a Tee in that location would read inaccurately. For oil temperature the oil filter location with a sandwich plate is best. Oil pressure could technically be taken there also if you want but the IS300 Union Bolt location is fine for that. I've left my aftermarket oil pressure gauge sensor in that location.

For a coolant temperature gauge you could install a sensor at the bottom of your MKIV TT style radiator (if you are using one of those) where you'd install an Earls #9919AUJERL 1/8" NPT adapter in the location in the bottom that is used in the MKIV TT for a factory coolant temperature switch (like a sensor but not). Normally though I'd say to use this location for an auxiliary electric fan controller coolant temperature sensor:

Or... you can also install an intermediate coolant hose aftermarket metal coupler which has a coolant sensor bung built into it. Mishimoto also sells those in different diameters.

For a coolant pressure sensor I am not sure where the most accurate and ideal location should be. Same with a fuel pressure sensor. However I'd guess that perhaps getting an adapter to install it somewhere along the fuel rail might be best. Say, if you found an aftermarket bolt that replaces the same thread, pitch and depth as the one at the end of your GTE fuel rail but which has a 1/8" NPT bung machined into it. You'd need new crush washers in that location also.
Old 04-18-20, 05:36 AM
BeigeSC300
Driver

What is the part number of the threaded part??

Old 04-19-20, 12:29 AM
KahnBB6

What is the part number of the threaded part??
There is no extra part number in Mishimoto's kit. That threaded part came with it. Two different versions actually: one 3/4 UNF and another that is M20x1.5". You only use the one that threads to the 2JZ oil filter (3/4 UNF) and the other one that comes in the kit goes unused.

You also need to seal the sensor threads and unused plugs with some Loctite 565 thread sealant and make sure they've all got some finger tight torque on them. The sensor(s) should just be installed tight enough to your liking as well. Just so long as there are no leaks.

And you put a little engine oil on the rubber O-ring before installing the sandwich plate onto the engine.

For the metal threaded part there is no specific torque number. Just make it tight enough to stay on securely and not come loose.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 04-19-20 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-19-20, 07:48 PM
BeigeSC300
Driver

Mishimoto P/N #MMOP-TPS on order... Thanks!
Old 04-20-20, 12:21 AM
KahnBB6

Mishimoto P/N #MMOP-TPS on order... Thanks!