Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

O/D off blinking

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-03, 09:10 PM
Mara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/D off blinking

Hi everyone,

I bought a 95 SC300 about a month ago. It has a little over 86K and recently the O/D off light blinks while overdrive is still engaged.

It happened the first time about 2 weeks ago right after I had washed the car. The car was shut off for about 9 hours and had no problems for the next two weeks or so. Yesterday it started doing it again and was fine today.

I didn't get an owner's manual and haven't had time to pick up a Haynes or anything yet. I assume this is some sensor problem as I don't notice the transmission actually functioning any different. Possibly something was knocked loose or messed up by the undercarriage wash?

Anyone know off hand what this is?

Mara
Old 09-03-03, 09:14 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

almost always a sign of failing torque converter....

in order to diagnose.

1. do a full transmission flush.... if it goes away then good if not
proceed to purchase PI torque converter to knock off 8/10th of a second of 1/4 mile
or
2. buy a rebuilt unit and replace

labor is around $400

PI torque converter is $900'ish
rebuilt (price will vary)

P.S. if it turns out something is broken or loose and you do the full tranny flush it may dislodge it and fail the torque converter all together. or will fix whatever it's holding it back.... then again tranny flush should be part of general maintenance...

good luck.

also I don't think haynes makes a manual for the lexus SC class cars..... but you can purchase the full service manual from dealers or other connections for around $300

Last edited by VSsc400; 09-03-03 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09-04-03, 06:56 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Hello Mara, I know your new to the forum and welcome

What we have here is a very common question that we get all the time, and since your new you most likely don't know about our search button up there. Use it to find answers to your various questions as we have discussed almost everything 100 times over. Of course we'll give you your first post without feeding you to the dogs , but please make that button your friend in the future on questions that are severly overasked. Of course, you didn't know that before, and now you do Enjoy your stay, always glad to see a new member.

And Vssc is correct.
Old 09-04-03, 05:42 PM
Mara
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reprieve?

hey onelasttry, thanks for egging me on to do that search again. I actually did try that but apparently did something wrong. I'm not a complete newb! I found the threads now.

My other cars are modded DSMs so obviously I come from a world of well-documented and over discussed cars with mechanical problems. The point of getting the SC was to have a great, reliable daily driver "with potential". I love it almost as much as my Talon but I know very little about automatic trannys so I am a bit preturbed. Time to study up.

Mara