Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No CEL with key on , engine off,No start

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 08:10 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To me it sounds like a grounding issue. Is your car lowered if so check the fender well liner. How is your wiring harness?
Old 09-24-20, 08:55 PM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
To me it sounds like a grounding issue. Is your car lowered if so check the fender well liner. How is your wiring harness?

I've thought the same. Especially in the beginning when it would react with the weather. Car is stock height and fender liner is intact along with the harness underneath. I replaced the Negative terminal/harness. 2ga to terminal,down to body ,another 2ga wire headed to the stock grounding location near the oil filter. Any other grounds I should look for ? Zero issue hail marying ground wires at this point.

Last edited by Miata256; 09-27-20 at 04:47 AM.
Old 09-25-20, 02:47 PM
Nokton40mm
Driver School Candidate

I am having the same issue with my 92 SC300. No CEL but one click and that's all. Rechecking my grounds this weekend to see if that works. Theni f not will check the ECU.
Old 09-25-20, 05:50 PM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nokton40mm
I am having the same issue with my 92 SC300. No CEL but one click and that's all. Rechecking my grounds this weekend to see if that works. Theni f not will check the ECU.
Any grounds I should be checking ? I'm not aware of any major grounds besides the one leading from the battery and terminating under the engine.
Old 09-26-20, 02:23 AM
Nokton40mm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Miata256
Any grounds I should be checking ? I'm not aware of any major grounds besides the one leading from the battery and terminating under the engine.
For grounds, I did a quick look and saw one just under the battery after following the negative cable. Checkiing that later today and re-tracing the other wires as well.
Old 09-26-20, 03:42 AM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nokton40mm
For grounds, I did a quick look and saw one just under the battery after following the negative cable. Checkiing that later today and re-tracing the other wires as well.
yeah I've replaced that one.. let me know if you find anything. At this point I'm ready to at least to be doing something.
Old 09-26-20, 07:02 AM
Nokton40mm
Driver School Candidate

yeah I've replaced that one.. let me know if you find anything. At this point I'm ready to at least to be doing something.
Check your PM!
Old 09-26-20, 09:48 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

When you you say the car dies do you lose all power to vehicle including lights or its dies like loss of gas/spark/air?
Old 09-26-20, 10:12 PM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Die as in loss of combustion. Electronics still available. Sometimes on ceasing to run , the cel may be on with key on car off, sometimes not, sometimes it will be flickering.

Last edited by Miata256; 09-26-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-27-20, 04:38 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Die as in loss of combustion. Electronics still available. Sometimes on ceasing to run , the cel may be on with key on car off, sometimes not, sometimes it will be flickering.
Where are you in Alabama? I am in Mississippi so if I get over that way I could help you look. I don't have any ideas based on what you have described so far, so I have not offered comment before.
Old 09-27-20, 04:54 AM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXRodger
Where are you in Alabama? I am in Mississippi so if I get over that way I could help you look. I don't have any ideas based on what you have described so far, so I have not offered comment before.
I'm about an hour south east of Birmingham. Thank you for the gesture.
Old 09-27-20, 06:07 AM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

Following advice from a fellow car enthusiast, efi relay ground is showing Continuity as well as pin 4 on the e10 ecu connector (symbol e11) labeled "ecu ground " . Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-28-20, 01:34 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

After getting all of the information you provided and everything checking out. You either have a bad fuse that was missed or one of the cam/crank sensors or coils has a internal short causing a break in the signal to the relay to power up the ECU.
Old 09-28-20, 01:54 AM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

After getting all of the information you provided and everything checking out. You either have a bad fuse that was missed or one of the cam/crank sensors or coils has a internal short causing a break in the signal to the relay to power up the ECU.
workplace associate suggested faulty/corroded fuse am2, suggested jumpers for it. Crank sensor passed via service manual specifications/test procedure, but It has been so long I dont remember doing the cam sensors. Feel like I would have but will recheck when I get off work in a few hours. Any fuse culprit suggestions ? There aren't many in the "ecu power circuit" according to the service manual diagram. Or just everything ign,efi,main related.? Thank you for the input.
Old 09-28-20, 02:47 AM
Miata256
Driver School Candidate

I'm showing the 30A AM2/60A main big plastic fuses, 30a blade INJ and 30a blade efi in the underhood box, and INJ (engine) 7.5a fuse (#5 )in the kick panel box as being in the ecu power circuit. Anything else I should be looking at ?

Quick Reply: No CEL with key on , engine off,No start