Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1999 sc400 what order of cylinder numbers

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-20 | 10:47 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 sc400 what order of cylinder numbers

I have a 1999 sc400 with 145000 miles. I changed the spark plugs to try and fix a rough running engine with the engine light blinking on and off. I also changed 2 of the coil over connectors because they disintegrated but it didn't fix the issue. Found an Actron auto scanner and hooked it up. Code P0308. States it is a misfire detected in cylinder 8. Can anyone tell me what numerical order the cylinders are in? Also any help on what else I might look for if this doesn't cure the issue would be great. Thanks
Old 06-10-20 | 07:51 PM
mfg_guy
Driver School Candidate

So I see you are still at it! #8 is on the passenger side, back cylinder. You likely have another bad connector, but could also have a bad coil on that cylinder. You can swap coils from another cylinder and recheck the code to see if the problem moves with the coil, and if it does, the coil that was originally in #8 is bad. But it's likely that when you go to unplug the connector from #8, it will fall apart like the others you have replaced, so fix that before you swap the coils. I had exactly the same issue, different cylinder.
Old 06-10-20 | 08:21 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

mfg_guy, Yes I am still at it. Did you have to replace your coil or was it just the connector that was bad? Followed the info you gave me, pulled the coil out of #8 cylinder and the connector did fall apart so I've replaced that one as well. I went ahead and ordered 2 new coils. I'm going to replace the coil on #8 cylinder. Hopefully this will fix the issue, however it's hard to tell if that coil is bad or not. I'll have a spare one to put in another coil if a new code appears. I will post here when I get this accomplished and hopefully it will be fixed. I really appreciate your help with this issue. Thanks
Old 06-11-20 | 08:03 PM
mfg_guy
Driver School Candidate

I did not have to replace the coil. I have an extra for troubleshooting, but all mine in the car are still original, with about 120k miles. Did you try swapping with another cylinder that is not displaying codes? You also might want to reset your codes and check again to see if it's still the same cylinder.(You should always reset after doing anything because the error code might change to a different code and you won't realize it) If your connectors are that fragile, you may have inadvertently broken another one by just being close by. That all the advice I have right now. It's a process, so try not to skip any steps.
Old 06-18-20 | 02:43 PM
johnmikeyo
Driver School Candidate

So my car now runs great, Thanks mfg_guy for all your help. In the end I recieved the new coils, and replaced #8 cylinder coilcover and the plastic connector. I didn't test the coil in another cylinder to see if it was the coil or connector. I went for a ride and came back, cleared the old codes and ran the auto scanner thru and there are no codes. It sucked to be without this car running properly but now it runs great. Now if I could fix the oil leaks I'd be elated. Thats for another day. Thanks again mfg_guy.
Peace