Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-20, 10:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by NMDEFT
Firstly this is a great thread! The effort you guys have put in to help other Lexus owners is astonishing and much appreciated.

So for a total newb (me), is there a way for me to make my 93 SC400 5pin flasher (that has just stopped working) working again with the Gen 5 Camry flasher? And while I'm at it could I make it compatible with LED's?

This may sound like a super dumb question but you guys have some serious skills and I own a soldering iron. But that doesn't mean I could do any of the above.
Lexus2000 is the one who has made the alternative solutions possible after much hard work

Currently I have his prototype in my possession and I need to test it in my 1993 SC. I’m dealing with an electrical charging, grounding and ignition issue at the moment preventing me from testing it in my car but I should be able to soon once I’ve got it up and running again.

What I would suggest first is to contact Relentless Motorsports (Texas) and get your original flasher relay’s capacitors and any large type off the shelf (but identical) components replaced. This worked for another CL member FredMahan recently.

If that does not work then yes, you should be able to pursue the modified Camry Gen5 flasher relay alternative following Lexus2000’s DIY instructions.

It does require some work you do yourself to create the extension harness for it.

Currently the prototype had passed all of his workbench testing with the correct number of 27W bulbs but until I can test it out in an SC we were trying to determine if it can handle that much load on conventional bulbs without issue or if lower power draw LED bulbs are the way to go.

He sent me a regular version and an LED version two identical Camry flashers capable of working with both regular and LED bulbs for testing.

My own SC’s electrical and ignition system issue came up suddenly so unfortunately it has delayed this testing. But so far we feel it should work well as an alternative to a totally unrepairable OEM flasher relay.

And additionally it should be a good way to have a go-to LED bulb compatible flasher relay as it is currently built/modified using an OEM relay as its basis.

Start by contacting Relentless Motorsports first to send your original relay in for cap and other component replacement. If replacing those standard components doesn’t do the trick then you’ve got the modified Camry Gen5 flasher (and LED) solution available to you

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-19-20 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Typo correction. Info correction from Lexus2000 :)
Old 12-18-20, 10:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,825 Likes on 2,388 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
He sent me a regular version and an LED version for testing.
Both Camry modules I sent you are the same, both modded to use regular bulbs or LED. Or no bulbs it doesn't care it will flash the same.
Old 12-19-20, 01:21 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Both Camry modules I sent you are the same, both modded to use regular bulbs or LED. Or no bulbs it doesn't care it will flash the same.
I stand corrected, sorry! I am not sure how, when I first received them, that I missed both Camry flashers being marked with "LED" on their casings. Yes, indeed they are identical
Old 09-23-21, 07:59 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

May as well post this image. Here's how to rewire a 3-pin flasher setup to use the gen5 flasher. This applies to just about any Toyota and Lexus that uses a 3-pin flasher relay. This is a modified schematic just to be clear not to be used as a reference for the original wiring.

Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020-vje3zx2.png

I doubt anyone else will do this but you never know. I put the guts of the gen5 flasher in the original flasher housing.

Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020-zhy5zvr.jpg

Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020-b7glgo0.jpg

In the car

Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020-qbjlgkj.jpg
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (09-24-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:29 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been fighting a turn signal problem for a little while but the wiring diagrams I have are for a 5 pin car and I have a 3 pin. I just assumed that the 3 pin did the job of a 5 pin somehow. I'm here checking this thread for help when I have a Eureka moment and come across this diagram showing this Toyota Flasher! Not listed in my 1993 shop manual. I'm assuming this is my problem since I've tried everything else and am still pounding my head not being able figure it out. Please, where is this Toyota Flasher? I have 93 schematics and shop manuals for a 95, they don't match sometimes!
Thanx for any help
Ozz022
Old 10-07-21, 03:19 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
I have been fighting a turn signal problem for a little while but the wiring diagrams I have are for a 5 pin car and I have a 3 pin. I just assumed that the 3 pin did the job of a 5 pin somehow. I'm here checking this thread for help when I have a Eureka moment and come across this diagram showing this Toyota Flasher! Not listed in my 1993 shop manual. I'm assuming this is my problem since I've tried everything else and am still pounding my head not being able figure it out. Please, where is this Toyota Flasher? I have 93 schematics and shop manuals for a 95, they don't match sometimes!
Thanx for any help
Ozz022
Ozzzzy, 1992-1994 Lexus SC300's and SC400's and 1991-1994 Toyota Soarers all use the unique 5-pin turn signal and hazard flasher relay. 1995-2000 Lexus SC's and 1995-2000 Toyota Soarers all use the more conventional 3-pin turn signal and hazard flasher relay.

Your SC must be a late 1994 production date or 1995+ model if it has the 3-pin signal flasher relay. The early cars and later cars are wired differently in this regard. Your 1993 SC shop manual would only cover the wiring for the unique 5-pin style relay that we've covered in this thread but it's weird that you're noticing this discrepancy.

If you look at some of the earlier posts in this thread you can see the placement of the 1992-1994 SC signal flasher relay in the driver's side footwell kick panel... but slightly obscured by carpeting that you have to peel back a bit.
Old 10-07-21, 06:43 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Thank You for the response.
I'm aware I have a car built after the switch to 3 pin relays. I'm aware that the shop manual I have is not completely correct for my car (the person suppling PDF shop manuals on this forum only had the 92-94 manual) so my question is, does someone have a 95 manual they can post here for me to download or does someone have diagram that shows the location of this "Toyota Flasher" that does not appear on my "too early" shop manual but is most likely the problem that has had me banging my head on any close hard object!
Thanx for any help
Ozz022
Old 10-07-21, 10:00 PM
KahnBB6

Thank You for the response.
I'm aware I have a car built after the switch to 3 pin relays. I'm aware that the shop manual I have is not completely correct for my car (the person suppling PDF shop manuals on this forum only had the 92-94 manual) so my question is, does someone have a 95 manual they can post here for me to download or does someone have diagram that shows the location of this "Toyota Flasher" that does not appear on my "too early" shop manual but is most likely the problem that has had me banging my head on any close hard object!
Thanx for any help
Ozz022
I understand now, my apologies for misunderstanding at first. Unfortunately I do not have the official electrical TSRMs past 1992-1994 SC300/400's but if they are not available elsewhere online you can get each subsection individually (really as many as you can download and save to your hard drive) from the Toyota TIS TechInfo system website. Use the Google Chrome browser for best results. It's about $20 for two-day access and you'll be able to look up all the available documentation on ANY North American Toyota/Lexus vehicle going back into the 1980's in some cases.

Old 10-07-21, 10:02 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The flasher relay is probably in the same place, left hand kick panel. Follow the click.
KahnBB6 (10-07-21)
Old 10-07-21, 10:12 PM
KahnBB6

^^ It should be in the same location as the 92-94 flasher relay. It will just plug into a different receptacle for 95-00 models. Following the clicking is a good idea!

When you look at the cramped kick panel fuse and relay area that you can see easily you will have to look down to where the floor carpet meets those components and then peel back that carpet a bit to find it.
Old 10-08-21, 05:29 AM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

According to the schematic above, there is both, the the 3 pin turn flasher(it is clicking in my car) (on the left side of the schematic)and this Toyota Flasher on the right side of the schematic. On the 92-94 shop manual, there is no "Toyota Flasher" and of course no location listed. I'm asking if anyone has a diagram of the location.
Thanx
Old 10-08-21, 02:52 PM
KahnBB6

According to the schematic above, there is both, the the 3 pin turn flasher(it is clicking in my car) (on the left side of the schematic)and this Toyota Flasher on the right side of the schematic. On the 92-94 shop manual, there is no "Toyota Flasher" and of course no location listed. I'm asking if anyone has a diagram of the location.
Thanx
The official Toyota/Lexus shop manuals may list the exact name of the flasher differently but in each model year's documentation it will be there. There will only be ONE type in any SC: the very unique 5-pin style for 1992-1994 and the more conventional 3-pin style for 1995-2000. No SC or Soarer came with both styles.

If you look at this image from another thread on this subject, here is the location of the SC signal flasher relay which I have highlighted in blue. This example is from a 1992-1994 model but in a 1995-2000 the location will be the same, just with the different style flasher relay (for 95-00 it is black I believe).

In the image below the black cover labeled "Fuse" has been removed.

Just as it is with the 92-94 style signal relay for the 95-00 type there may also be a plastic "catch" tab or two that need to be carefully loosened with a small flat head screwdriver in order to get the relay loose.

Image pulled from: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-location.html
LeX2K (10-09-21)
Old 11-03-21, 03:15 PM
ckkk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, a total noob here. Is there anyone making a replacement for the 5-pin flasher relay? If so lmk!!
Old 11-03-21, 04:51 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by ckkk
Hey guys, a total noob here. Is there anyone making a replacement for the 5-pin flasher relay? If so lmk!!
There is no aftermarket company making a replacement of this type flasher relay. We do have a proven repair method (highly recommended) and an DIY alternative relay method that requires some building and soldering yourself with other electrical components to prepare it for use.

The purpose of this thread was to do two things:

1) Determine if and how repair and reconditioning to the 5-pin SC300/400 1992-1994 turn signal flasher relay might be done (we did find that this was possible by re-capping it and usually cures the issue!)

2) Reverse engineer and develop a DIY alternative flasher relay (and LED bulb function) just in case any 1992-1994 SC owners need it.

The first thing I strongly recommend:
If your 92-94 SC flasher relay is not working any longer is to KEEP IT NO MATTER WHAT!!!! Seriously, even if it is malfunctioning it can be repaired and restored and you just cannot buy these things new any longer. NO COMPANY makes a design like this one and thankfully they are designed in such a way that that replacing the internal capacitors and possibly any major size common type resistors can restore function. The EXACT electrical values and brand type on the original internal capacitors must be used. Refer to the earlier posts in this thread for more details and reference pictures for this.

An SC member found that Relentless Motorsports in Texas can perform this restoration repair to your 92-94 5-pin flasher relay. Usually this will solve all the issues you are experiencing and the relay is so over-built it should handle many years of continued use once it has been re-capped.

I would like to see if Tanin Auto Electronix can or would consider also handling this type of repair since it's extremely similar to ECU re-capping but on a smaller scale.

As an alternative to that: You can follow the instructions that Lex2K developed which show you how to take a readily available Camry Generation 5 turn signal flasher and combine it with some other common components to make it work with the 5-pin interface.

No matter which method you choose to solve your issue, KEEP your original flasher relay with your SC at least as a spare part since it can be restored and is not easy to find used.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-03-21 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-14-22, 12:17 AM
Daijoubu
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Good news can forget about shunt resistors, trying to hack two flashers together and all that I figured out how to disable the load sensing. The solution is quite simple:

Pin 10 of the Denso ASIC compares voltage between 12 volt input and the output side of the shunt resistor, we are talking millivolts. So to defeat the load sense I simply cut the trace going to pin 10, and fed it power through a 250KΩ resistor. Now the flasher doesn't care if you have no bulbs or 10 it works the same. There is no more shunt resistor I replaced it with a sold strand of copper wire.

The great thing is I can adapt this flasher for all my cars instead of the questionable Novita LED flashers I'm using. They are okay but the flash rate is too fast for one and I'm not sure of longevity. For SC applications this will work straight away* with the stock bulbs but I can't say if the relays can handle that much current, there is no current rating on the relays. Searching for Denso pm-2660303 or Denso 2660303 yielded nothing.

* can't say this with 100% certainty still needs to be tested on the car.
I've signed up to say THANKS.
I've had enough of the speedy Novita LM449 and the 1sec delay of the CF18 drove me nuts.

You're like the only person on the internet to have found this solution, I was playing with a voltage divider (100k/680ohm) before finding your post but it didn't work right as the IC probably have an internal resistor or something.
I figured the shunt on mine was about 30 miliohms and the Vref according to some other flasher IC would be in the ball park of 80mV.
I didn't have a 250K resistor, tested with 220K and it was fine, gave me 75mV drop, so I went to 300k instead (95mV drop iirc), left the shunt as-is and just cut the trace leading to pin 10, worked fine on the bench, going to try swapping the LM449 tomorrow.

This Denso flasher is used on Toyota and Subaru, a lot of folks will be happy once the word spreads out.
Mine have part # 81980-0T010, on a 2013 Venza, same SE336 IC but uses SMD chip resistors instead of the MELF cylindrical ones and the layout is slighly different.
(ignore the bottom left corner, I cut it off to fit a trim pot while experimenting)

The following 2 users liked this post by Daijoubu:
KahnBB6 (03-14-22), LeX2K (03-14-22)

Quick Reply: Possibility for rebuilding or remaking 92-94 SC300/400 Flasher Relay 81980-24020