Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 Starting Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 05:45 PM
widegoogly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC400 Starting Mystery

I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible here but to start I have a 92 lexus sc400 that will start no problem, excellent in fact but after driving it for even 20 mins it won't restart after sitting off for several mins until the next day. This has been a very stressful issue for me as I have already replaced several components which include: both ignition coils, the battery, the alternator, has new starter and works, spark plugs and wires, heater hoses, does have 12 volt fuel pump mod, replacement of the ECU as well from tanin electronix. Car has fuel pressure indicated from the dampener screw popped up. Fuel pump is operational. I do have a small coolant leak from a water inlet bypass hose underneath the idle control valve which might acoount for the slight burnt coolant smell. Also power steering fluid does leak onto the alternator which to me doesn't seem like the real culprit here but nonetheless a serious problem. As to what is causing this start, sit, then no restart problem I am at my wit's end. I need some help! Cam sensors? Crank sensors?
Old 09-11-20, 07:47 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

When trying to start the 2nd time what are the symptoms? Cranks, no crank? One click from solenoid?
Old 09-11-20, 10:16 AM
widegoogly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
When trying to start the 2nd time what are the symptoms? Cranks, no crank? One click from solenoid?
Trying to start it the second time it will crank really good but won't turn over. My assumption is I'm having a sparking issue but I'm not certain. I can do some testing to answer questions too from my limited tool set. I have a multimeter and a test light on hand. Any clues to what I should do? It's hard to know where to start! Should I induce the symptoms of the no restart? Need a video? I can show it operational and then not? Help!
Old 09-12-20, 02:45 AM
widegoogly
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by widegoogly
Trying to start it the second time it will crank really good but won't turn over. My assumption is I'm having a sparking issue but I'm not certain. I can do some testing to answer questions too from my limited tool set. I have a multimeter and a test light on hand. Any clues to what I should do? It's hard to know where to start! Should I induce the symptoms of the no restart? Need a video? I can show it operational and then not? Help!
to add when it does run, the exhaust is very rich and strong smelling. It seems like I'm not seeing something obvious here or it's just over my head but im willing to fix this beast. Also I need to put back the original air box because the previous owner installed a cold air intake which just suck in warm air lol. But could this be an oxygen sensor perhaps misbehaving?
Old 09-13-20, 02:12 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Just had this same issue last night.... Thought I would be stranded at work, with a dead cell phone, lol... Only difference mine is stock.. would crank but wont turn over.. I cranked it over 4 times, before popping the hood removing the covers and pressing in all spark wires. 5th time was the charm, but required the 1970's touch where I had to pump the gas to keep it running, idled rough after 15 seconds and maintained a decent idle based on sound as the tack stopped functioning... Strong smell of fuel out of the exhaust, apparently I flooded the engine?? It stayed on and made a long trek home of about 30 minutes on highway, idles very smooth and shifted really smooth, which hasn't been the case in a while.. Prior to this it had stalled under load of about 40 mph before it just died, restarted with no issues.. Brought it back to work today and it has been functioning without issues so far...
Would it be some of this ash in the air?? My Celica (DD) had a similar issue this morning as well, has had a rough idle and really low idle in gear this past 2 weeks, My SC is the back up and weekend warrior....
Old 09-14-20, 08:28 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

I had somewhat similar issues on my first SC. It was mostly a long-crank issue after shut off, not quite a cooling off thing like described above. If I'm remembering right, it ended up being the return hose to the gas tank was pretty loose on the fitting, allowing pressure loss after shutting off.
Old 09-19-20, 09:35 AM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Will try to chase these hoses down. Its done it twice so far in 2 days, and don't really want to end up stranded....
Old 09-20-20, 09:09 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 234 Likes on 214 Posts

It's on the bottom of the tank, facing forward. Tucked up there somewhere around the rear axle. I believe it was the line on the passenger side, that was my problem.