Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

94 sc400 exhaust build help!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-20, 04:24 AM
Justinsc4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 sc400 exhaust build help!!

Looking to delete resonators on my 94 sc400. To be clear this model has 3 resonators total? By removing the resonators would that cause a cel. I wouldn’t assuming so because I’m not removing my cat or 0w sensors. Also planning on goin with a Magnaflow muffler if anybody knows a good model. Any suggestions and answers would be much appreciated.
Old 10-20-20, 05:22 AM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Justinsc4
Looking to delete resonators on my 94 sc400. To be clear this model has 3 resonators total? By removing the resonators would that cause a cel. I wouldn’t assuming so because I’m not removing my cat or 0w sensors. Also planning on goin with a Magnaflow muffler if anybody knows a good model. Any suggestions and answers would be much appreciated.
Where are you located are you willing to ship and sell the two rear resonators? What model do you have? Im aiming for something like this guy.

here.

Edit: I already did the two rear resonators delete a while back so, thats why I'm asking now.

For the sake of the thread the two rear resonators by the mufflers do not throw a code. Im unsure about the middle resonator. I think it depends on the year.
Old 10-21-20, 12:53 PM
93till
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No it wont throw a check engine light. it sounds soo much better in my opinion as well. not so hush hush
Old 10-21-20, 11:22 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Here's a photo of the SC400's exhaust. Full thread HERE . I would personally recommend to delete both of the rear resonators first and see how you like it, and by all means, NO muffler delete + resonator delete lol
Old 11-10-20, 08:01 AM
Justinsc4
Driver School Candidate

Not looking to sell the resonators sorry wanna keep them incase I decide I wanna change it back. Thank you for diagram that’s much more helpful. I did my oil and trans fluid this weekend and got a good look at the exhaust and it does match with the diagram. I would like to remove all resonators and leave stock muffler I’m just worried about it throwing a code. So should I go just remove the two resonators closed to the mufflers for now and see how that goes. Atleast to take the safe route for now. Thanks guys
Old 11-16-20, 01:54 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Not looking to sell the resonators sorry wanna keep them incase I decide I wanna change it back. Thank you for diagram that’s much more helpful. I did my oil and trans fluid this weekend and got a good look at the exhaust and it does match with the diagram. I would like to remove all resonators and leave stock muffler I’m just worried about it throwing a code. So should I go just remove the two resonators closed to the mufflers for now and see how that goes. Atleast to take the safe route for now. Thanks guys
Removing resonators will not at all cause a CEL. Post a a video when you're done for people in the future that may see this thread
Old 11-16-20, 02:13 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

On my old SC400 I had the third cat (labeled sub cat in that diagram) removed, deleted both resonators, and had a borla axleback on it. The car sounded absolutely glorious. Not too loud, not raspy, and had a much more "exotic" tone than any other v8 you hear around town. I was able to pass emissions in CO without that cat, however, most exhaust shops will not remove a cat no matter how much you pay them. You won't notice much from just the resonator delete, but changing mufflers will certainly help.
Old 11-16-20, 06:05 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Removing those rear two resonators and welding new pipes in their place should make an SC400 sound like the one in the linked video above. Pretty good sound! I would get the exhaust shop to re-attach those two hangers though for convenience when working under your SC. It's annoying to have to hold up that heavy exhaust center section yourself when unbolting or re-bolting the system back together.

I don't think removing any cats really does much for the sound. Removing one of those with a sensor on it would cause a CEL but just deleting resonators wouldn't.

The are also the Manzo/M2 catback mufflers which improve the sound on stock SC300's and especially on SC400's but I think the resonator delete for 400's is popular if your locality isn't strict about noise laws.
Old 11-18-20, 02:52 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

You'd be surprised Craig - I deleted my resonators first on my SC4 and barely noticed a thing... I deleted that secondary cat and it really woke the sound up (both of these mods were done AFTER the Borla axle back system that was installed when I bought it).
Old 12-04-20, 06:25 AM
Justinsc4
Driver School Candidate

Any links to some cat back/axle back mufflers looking for a quality set nothing cheap. For now I think I will just remove two rear resonators just to hopefully wake up it up and bit but I’d love to get either a nice axel back exhaust or cat back. Links would be appreciated thanks guys

Last edited by Justinsc4; 12-04-20 at 06:29 AM.