Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Air bag

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 12:45 PM
miscdiyer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air bag

Anyone know where the air bag module is located on this car ?

i have the air bag light on and followed the process to reset it and have tried for about 100 times and it won’t reset. It just comes back on. Any insight would be great. Thanks guys
Old 10-21-20, 01:36 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,247 Likes on 868 Posts

Do you mean the airbag ECU? On the 1992-2000 SC300 and SC400 (and JDM Z30 Soarer) this module is located underneath the radio/head-unit.

However you won't be able to get the airbag light on the dash to turn off by doing anything with it physically. The way I was able to successfully do the airbag light cancelling "dance" successfully was to point a camera at my dashboard light which transmitted the image to my laptop computer. That way I could keep doing the procedure while watching the dash light. Far easier than going back and forth over and over again between the hood and the dash (which for me didn't work and took forever).

You can do this easily with a cellphone in video chat mode over Facetime, Facebook Messenger video or any other service like that on Android phones. Use a good friend's cellphone if you have to. The main thing is that you want to balance the cellphone's camera so as to have a clear view of the dashboard air-bag light as it flashes its sequences and you want to be able to see that clearly while you're in the engine bay with a laptop computer or other cellphone running a video chat program. This method is what finally made the process easier for me to get through successfully.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Slaker13 (10-21-20)
Old 10-21-20, 07:59 AM
miscdiyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi there

I thought resetting the light involves the two pins by the steering column and not by the engine bay Diag port ?

Old 10-21-20, 09:51 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Kahn, I've never heard of that method. Very creative!

I, too, thought the reset dance is just by the steering column... And, I, too, never got it to work on my first SC. The only solution I ever came up with was to ditch the airbag and put in a resistor. Edit: Although, even that may not reset it. Can't remember if that was on the same car.
Old 10-21-20, 06:26 PM
miscdiyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi

Well we’re trying to get the vehicle safetied. So with the air bag light, it fails the vehicle to be driven.

with a resistor in place, can it work normally like when you turn the key on it will light off then off right away. That’s really all I’m trying to do. I can’t take the bulb out now because it’s already noted when it got checked.

anything I can do to bypass the light?
thanks for your reply.
Old 10-22-20, 01:40 AM
KahnBB6

It has been quite a number of years since I did this and it was only because I made the mistake of turning on my SC while I had the instrument cluster out to replace backlighting bulbs and a bad fuel gauge. When it comes time to remove my gauge cluster for needle motor repair I'll just leave the car's battery disconnected until I get the cluster back in. That airbag "dance" is very low on the list of PITAs with these cars but it still can be one.

t2d2, thanks! It was a method born from frustration with how annoying a task this is when you accidentally trigger that airbag light.

Miscdiyer, least the way I learned to do it back then involved using the diagnostic port under the hood... which made watching the dash cluster airbag light live impossible so I'd never know when to *stop* doing the "pin dance". There was a slight 1/2 or 1/3rd second delay with the method I used but it wasn't a big deal. I'd venture a guess it would also make doing it from the under-dash OBD1 port easier as well so that you don't have to keep looking away from what your hands are doing and lose the rhythm.
Old 10-22-20, 01:43 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by miscdiyer
Well we’re trying to get the vehicle safetied. So with the air bag light, it fails the vehicle to be driven.

with a resistor in place, can it work normally like when you turn the key on it will light off then off right away. That’s really all I’m trying to do. I can’t take the bulb out now because it’s already noted when it got checked.

thanks for your reply.
I have never tried the resistor defeat method myself. I've never had to go through a safety inspection like that even in California (although technically an airbag light being on might also fail the visual inspection just the same as the main Check Engine Light... not sure honestly).

t2d2, can you confirm your method to solving the issue for miscdiyer? I'm totally unfamiliar with what is involved in doing that. I only know how to get the airbag light canceled out again with a fully working system.
Old 10-22-20, 11:02 AM
miscdiyer
Driver School Candidate

Default Hi there

So which pins under the hood do I connect the wires to do the wire dance ? Is there a link for this procedure. Thanks
Old 10-23-20, 03:28 AM
KahnBB6

So which pins under the hood do I connect the wires to do the wire dance ? Is there a link for this procedure. Thanks
Here's the airbag reset procedure:

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/light...rbaglight.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...bag-light.html

https://www.lextreme.com/diy-reset-a...ight-tutorial/
Old 10-23-20, 08:41 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

with a resistor in place, can it work normally like when you turn the key on it will light off then off right away.
Correct. The resistor makes it think the airbag is there, so it behaves like normal. However, I'm thinking that doesn't defeat the light that the reset dance is needed for, as that's not a signal from the airbag itself, rather something in the computer (likely the airbag ECU).

Nothing that I'm aware of. But, now that I think about it, I wonder if unplugging the airbag ECU would reset it, or would that default back to the failure mode? Might be worth a try, if you don't mind digging under the stereo. If it turns out to work, you could document a huge relief method for others!
Old 10-23-20, 04:35 PM
miscdiyer
Driver School Candidate

I’ve tried to do the procedure on the first link that was posted here but didn’t try the other 2 yet.

I unplugged the air bag assembly under the stereo, key on and no air bag light at all but all the other lights come on. Turned off the car, disconnected battery for about a min, plugged in the assembly, reconnect the battery negative, key on and we’re back to square one.

i tried to get the assembly “reset” but they couldn’t do it. My next option is to get one from eBay because I saw there was a lot of these on sale. I’ll order one and get it programmed and put it back in the car and see what happens. I’ll update again In a couple of weeks or so. I’m trying to help this guy out, but can’t do much until we get a different air bag module.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-24-20, 12:09 AM
KahnBB6

As a very last resort you could also take your SC into a Lexus dealer and have them do the reset procedure for you. The factory TSRM or a special tool (much like the DIY one that is described in one of the links I posted) will require them to do pretty much the same procedure that you tried.

No need for you to replace the airbag ECU if it hasn’t actually failed but you could get another used one. Yet... you will have no way of knowing if that spare airbag ECU will have also been activated with no airbag or instrument cluster connected.

What is probably going on is that the airbag ECU has an internal memory function independent of battery power that will remember any fault that is detected. Only a working system that is reset correctly will cancel out and overwrite that airbag light “ON” value.

If you think about it, under the usual circumstances that any car might have an airbag system fault this memory function makes a lot of sense to require of a manufacturer to implement.

I still suggest trying one of the methods in the links I posted above and barring any of that, get a Lexus dealer to do the reset procedure and ONLY the reset procedure for a fee.

There shouldn't be anything wrong with your airbag ECU and even if you get another used one... while it may be a perfectly good spare to have... you may or may not encounter the same issue depending on what that ECU encountered the last time it was powered up. As such you might have to reset that ECU just the same as your original one needs to be.

The procedure is a minor PITA but it really is doable by anyone. It comes down to knowing which terminals to touch with the wires and getting the exact rhythm that the Toyota dealer service tool does easily.

When I last did it on my SC years ago it helped to temporarily think like a robot, or like an ace drummer: you need to not only follow the procedure but do it with *perfectly consistent rhythm* and *stop* when required.

If you keep going too long then the airbag reset procedure just restarts all over again (from the airbag ECU’s perspective).

This need to stop the “wire dance” when required is why I used the cellphone camera and laptop screen live video method of monitoring the dash light in real time.

Toyota and Lexus dealers probably still have a simple electrical tool that makes this airbag reset procedure easy for their technicians but unless you have one of those or make one yourself the cheapest way is to make yourself into that perfectly rhythmically timed temporary robot to do the same thing.

It took several tries for me before I set up video monitoring of the airbag dash light in frustration. Then it took me a handful of extra tries after that but once I got the robotic rhythm down and knew where to stop based on observing the flash pattern of the light in real time I was able to clear the light and get the system back into normal operating mode again.

You CAN do this

I say read the other threads and my advice above and give it a few more tries. It’s a pain at first but once you figure out how to get it right it will seem much easier than it has been thus far.

And then your airbag light issue will be solved!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-24-20 at 12:20 AM.