Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 general transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-20, 01:38 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the advice Im gonna take it haha what solution is best for the money because i need to start saving for the new trans, also what relays do i need to check i checked the fuses in the engine bay all of the work fine and idk if its the wiring because the wires are fine and when the high beams on both the low beams and high beams are on what relays would I need to check and also I don't have the wiring diagram if you could help me with that thanks alot man!!! Also afterthought would a mk4 or sc w58 be good for street use/ light drifting i wanna get ok at it but im not ever gonna really get into into it because the cost of the hobby is crazy-expensive thanks alot!!
Old 11-11-20, 09:13 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,238 Likes on 865 Posts

For mostly street use and light drifting as long as you don't beat the living hell out of it with clutch kicking, gear slamming, power shifting, etc. I think an early 92-94 SC300 W58 (extension housing type w/steel center plate), 95-97 SC300 W58 (tripod w/steel center plate) or 93-97 Supra W58 (also tripod w/steel center plate) will be fine. If you find one that has been abused a lot or boosted on a lot it might not last as long as some others but for use mostly on the street while NA and light drifting it should be fine. It should be fine with a Torsen LSD or 2-way LSD as well but I'd recommend against a welded diff for a primarily street used SC.

IF you were to do a *lot* of drifting I'd just say find a good condition affordable R154 of any type or look into the cost of an AR-5 conversion. The R150 and R155 variants are truck transmissions so their 1st and 2nd gears are not as ideal... but they are strong transmissions very close in relation to an R154 (and Solstice/Sky AR-5) that can be converted for 2JZ use easily. And they are the cheapest of the bunch. They just have the least ideal gearing of that family of tough 5-speed manual Aisin "R" transmissions.

Also for any "R" series transmission with the older style extension housing I would recommend a Cube short shifter or one of the options that Driftmotion sells. That or a used SupraSport V2 or V3 short shifter if you can find one. Plus Marlin Crawler's nylon shifter bushing upgrade. A stock SC300 5-speed shifter is fine as well but these short shifters can improve the feel of an "R" series transmission. They will also work on the early type (non-tripod) SC300 W58 transmission.

(Note: an early type MKIII R154 transmission will need either a rare OEM early Soarer extension housing or a custom extension housing provided by Driftmotion or XCessive Manufacturing. There are a couple of ways to do it. I prefer the shorter extended housing that still requires a "swan" bend shifter. The other way has a very long extension housing with a straight shifter. I prefer the former for shift feel but some prefer the long extension housing to make the shifter come up right where the later tripod W58 shifter aligns in the transmission tunnel).

For mostly street use and not much drifting you will be fine with an SC or MKIV W58. Just find a good one without any issues. They can be rebuilt back to factory "new" spec if needed but it's more cost of course and there are no practical internal upgrades available for them.

The early SC300 W58 has a shifter extension housing a little further up in the transmission tunnel (just like the early JDM Toyota Soarer with its factory R154 shifter placement) than the later "tripod" W58.

It may sound confusing at the moment but it's really not. Toyota/Lexus was just gradually moving away from one type of manual transmission shifter design to another from the early 90's into the middle-90's and not every vehicle got the new hardware at the same time.

Old 11-11-20, 09:23 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

ok dope thanks man i really appreciate it and yeah man i get it some w58s had ****ty plates some didn't haha i think il go with the truck trans as im not planning to boost it any time soon and light drifting is all im gonna be gunning for haha thanks also real quick what relays should i check for the headlights i think it might also be a problem wit hthe signal stocks but the rear lights turn on so im not sure thanks alot.
Old 11-12-20, 04:18 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 209 Likes on 160 Posts

I have used the stock W58 in an endurance road racing series. I lost 2 or 3 trans early on when I had a welded diff in, but when I went back to an open they have not been a problem. I change fluid after every event, go through them about every year or so. The welded diff creates a lot of abuse through the drive train, so if you are going that route with a drifting set up I would say you will face issues.
Old 11-12-20, 04:29 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Originally Posted by RXRodger
I have used the stock W58 in an endurance road racing series. I lost 2 or 3 trans early on when I had a welded diff in, but when I went back to an open they have not been a problem. I change fluid after every event, go through them about every year or so. The welded diff creates a lot of abuse through the drive train, so if you are going that route with a drifting set up I would say you will face issues.
Thanks for the input man im just gonna ride out the w58 I have until I safe up for a r154🙂🙂😁😁
Old 11-13-20, 02:43 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

hey man quick question for ya since you have had 1000 of em how do you tell the difference from the old w58 from the mk3 and the new ones used in the sc300s and mk4s?
Old 11-14-20, 07:56 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by ChaseMcCla
hey man quick question for ya since you have had 1000 of em how do you tell the difference from the old w58 from the mk3 and the new ones used in the sc300s and mk4s?
I've only owed one W58 myself. Five main differentiators will identify the MKIII W58's from any of the later types (both non-tripod and tripod later types):

1) MKIII Supra W58's have aluminum center sandwich plates. Later SC300 92-94 and 95-97 W58's have steel center sandwich plates. 93-97 MKIV Supra NA W58's have steel center sandwich plates.

2) MKIII Supra W58's have mechanical speedo drives. All the later W58's have a factory VSS sensor speedo drive with a three-pin connector.

3) MKIII Supra W58's have shifter housings that are extended a just little... but which don't extend as far as the shifter housing found in 1992-1994 SC300 W58's.

4) MKIII W58's have a factory ABS sensor bolted onto their casings. All later W58's do not have an ABS sensor. (Don't confuse this with the reverse light sensor).

5) MKIII transmission mount bolt holes are all in-line. All later W58's have staggered transmission mount bolt holes. This means only MKIII style trans mounts fit the MKIII transmission and that a custom crossmember is used to fit one of these (or an early R154 which has the same arrangement) into an SC. Later style W58's and later style R154's all use the staggered style transmission bolt holes and the same style trans crossmember.

After these five differences there is also the switch to tripod style shifters which the Supra MKIV NA 5-speed got at its launch in 1993 but which the SC300 5-speed didn't get until 1995. The W58 tripod transmission is identical for both.

The 1992-1994 SC300 W58 has all the modern updates as the later tripod W58's except that it still uses an extension housing type shifter... only specially lengthened from the factory to fit in an SC300. Additionally for this reason the 1992-1994 SC300 5-speed transmission tunnel is different from the 1995-1997 SC300 & the Supra MKIV 1993-1998 manual transmission tunnel.

And the automatic transmission tunnel for the 1992-2000 and 1993-1998 Supra is different from either of the manual transmission tunnel versions.

Side fact: if you were to find a rare factory Toyota Soarer 1991-1993 R154 transmission (which has the staggered trans mount bolt holes, built-in VSS unit and factory shifter extension housing) you would be able to bolt that right into a 1992-1994 SC300 factory 5-speed chassis. This is because the first model years of the JDM Toyota Soarer Z30 factory 5-speed M/T and the early model years of the SC300 factory 5-speed M/T used the same manual transmission tunnel and both cars used the same shifter design and shifter placement which both variants of each transmission were adapted to use.

That is until both the Z30 Soarer and SC300 manual transmissions were updated to the Supra MKIV's tripod shifter design.

All of these every-other-year changes simply represent how Toyota was adapting their manual transmissions with new updates in each model through the early to mid 1990's. To us it can be a little confusing but to Toyota's model planners and engineers it was just each car getting normal (to them) improvements and updates throughout a model's production run.

Digression aside, stick to the five main MKIII W58 and later W58 differences above and you'll easily be able to identify which variant you are looking at.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-14-20 at 08:06 AM.
Old 11-14-20, 08:24 AM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I've only owed one W58 myself. Five main differentiators will identify the MKIII W58's from any of the later types (both non-tripod and tripod later types):

1) MKIII Supra W58's have aluminum center sandwich plates. Later SC300 92-94 and 95-97 W58's have steel center sandwich plates. 93-97 MKIV Supra NA W58's have steel center sandwich plates.

2) MKIII Supra W58's have mechanical speedo drives. All the later W58's have a factory VSS sensor speedo drive with a three-pin connector.

3) MKIII Supra W58's have shifter housings that are extended a just little... but which don't extend as far as the shifter housing found in 1992-1994 SC300 W58's.

4) MKIII W58's have a factory ABS sensor bolted onto their casings. All later W58's do not have an ABS sensor. (Don't confuse this with the reverse light sensor).

5) MKIII transmission mount bolt holes are all in-line. All later W58's have staggered transmission mount bolt holes. This means only MKIII style trans mounts fit the MKIII transmission and that a custom crossmember is used to fit one of these (or an early R154 which has the same arrangement) into an SC. Later style W58's and later style R154's all use the staggered style transmission bolt holes and the same style trans crossmember.

After these five differences there is also the switch to tripod style shifters which the Supra MKIV NA 5-speed got at its launch in 1993 but which the SC300 5-speed didn't get until 1995. The W58 tripod transmission is identical for both.

The 1992-1994 SC300 W58 has all the modern updates as the later tripod W58's except that it still uses an extension housing type shifter... only specially lengthened from the factory to fit in an SC300. Additionally for this reason the 1992-1994 SC300 5-speed transmission tunnel is different from the 1995-1997 SC300 & the Supra MKIV 1993-1998 manual transmission tunnel.

And the automatic transmission tunnel for the 1992-2000 and 1993-1998 Supra is different from either of the manual transmission tunnel versions.

Side fact: if you were to find a rare factory Toyota Soarer 1991-1993 R154 transmission (which has the staggered trans mount bolt holes, built-in VSS unit and factory shifter extension housing) you would be able to bolt that right into a 1992-1994 SC300 factory 5-speed chassis. This is because the first model years of the JDM Toyota Soarer Z30 factory 5-speed M/T and the early model years of the SC300 factory 5-speed M/T used the same manual transmission tunnel and both cars used the same shifter design and shifter placement which both variants of each transmission were adapted to use.

That is until both the Z30 Soarer and SC300 manual transmissions were updated to the Supra MKIV's tripod shifter design.

All of these every-other-year changes simply represent how Toyota was adapting their manual transmissions with new updates in each model through the early to mid 1990's. To us it can be a little confusing but to Toyota's model planners and engineers it was just each car getting normal (to them) improvements and updates throughout a model's production run.

Digression aside, stick to the five main MKIII W58 and later W58 differences above and you'll easily be able to identify which variant you are looking at.
Thanks man two more questions for now. If I have the mk3 trans would I use the. 7m throw out bearing or would I use the newer one? Because I need to order one and I can't find out because I have a 2j and a mk3 trans so it's kinda confusing also what relays go to the low beams I'm new to electrical **** and I'm trying to Learn as much as possible also Thank you again seriously
Old 11-14-20, 05:57 PM
KahnBB6

Thanks man two more questions for now. If I have the mk3 trans would I use the. 7m throw out bearing or would I use the newer one? Because I need to order one and I can't find out because I have a 2j and a mk3 trans so it's kinda confusing also what relays go to the low beams I'm new to electrical **** and I'm trying to Learn as much as possible also Thank you again seriously
Since you have a 2JZ-GE engine you should use the newer W58 throwout bearing because that's the transmission that was originally came with the car. If you have the part number you can cross-reference it on the *toyo dee I why* website and see exactly which cars that throwout bearing part number applies to.

For the SC300/400 headlight relay you want P/N 90987-02006. You can also use Denso 567-0015. There is only one relay for both headlights. It is located inside the under-hood main fuse, fusible link and relay block box with the two big attached Philips screws on its cover.

No problem. You have need to get the SC300/400 electrical wiring diagram TSRM if you need to get into diagnosing anything weird the previous owner may have done but hopefully your issue is just a failed relay or wire terminal end that needs repair or replacement.
Old 11-14-20, 07:07 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

The easiest way to tell the differance between a w58 and r154 is the r154 will have 2 big inspection covers on the bell housing plus everything Khan mentioned.
Old 11-14-20, 07:13 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Since you have a 2JZ-GE engine you should use the newer W58 throwout bearing because that's the transmission that was originally came with the car. If you have the part number you can cross-reference it on the *toyo dee I why* website and see exactly which cars that throwout bearing part number applies to.

For the SC300/400 headlight relay you want P/N 90987-02006. You can also use Denso 567-0015. There is only one relay for both headlights. It is located inside the under-hood main fuse, fusible link and relay block box with the two big attached Philips screws on its cover.

No problem. You have need to get the SC300/400 electrical wiring diagram TSRM if you need to get into diagnosing anything weird the previous owner may have done but hopefully your issue is just a failed relay or wire terminal end that needs repair or replacement.
The cover doesn't say there is a fuse for what what would that ruse be labeled as? And it isn't the original 5 speed that came with it its a 5 speed out of a mk3 supra which used the 7m throw out bearing. Do I still use the newer w58 one?
Old 11-15-20, 11:33 AM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Hey new update I unplugged the relay and plugged it back in and now the low beam light doesn't even come on the dash like it did before does that mean my relay is bad?

EDIT: I'm gonna buy a new relay just to be safe its 20 bucks and worth it if not I'm thinking of replacing the stocks and control assembly because mines missing brackets and is beat up anyway. LMK if this is a good idea..

Last edited by ChaseMcCla; 11-15-20 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 02:54 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by scsexy
The easiest way to tell the differance between a w58 and r154 is the r154 will have 2 big inspection covers on the bell housing plus everything Khan mentioned.
Absolutely, plus the shapes are totally different between an R-series and W-series

In this case the OP needed to know how to tell the differences between an MKIII Supra W58, a later SC300 W58 Non-Tripod and even later SC300 & MKIV Supra W58 Tripod W58. He's got an MKIII W58 in his SC now and is looking for a later version SC or MKIV W58 to replace it with.

Although I think he's considering an R-series swap down the road.

The cover doesn't say there is a fuse for what what would that ruse be labeled as?
The underside of that fuse block cover should clearly say which one is the headlight low beam relay. It's also laid out and labeled in the SC300/400 TSRM.

And it isn't the original 5 speed that came with it its a 5 speed out of a mk3 supra which used the 7m throw out bearing. Do I still use the newer w58 one?
You've misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that your MKIII Supra trans originally came in your or any SC. I was only pointing out what aspects an original SC300 5-speed chassis and W58 have that relate to the MKIII Supra W58 transmission lineage (which has several differences).

I was saying you should use the newer W58 throwout bearing. The W58-to-2JZ bellhousing on your MKIII W58 transmission will already have been swapped over from an SC/MKIV W58. Use the SC/MKIV W58 clutch service components.

Hey new update I unplugged the relay and plugged it back in and now the low beam light doesn't even come on the dash like it did before does that mean my relay is bad?
EDIT: I'm gonna buy a new relay just to be safe its 20 bucks and worth it if not I'm thinking of replacing the stocks and control assembly because mines missing brackets and is beat up anyway. LMK if this is a good idea..
Those relays rarely go bad but it is possible that this is the case. Get yourself an OEM relay and give it a try. If it turns out that wasn't the issue and further investigation is needed, reinstall the old one and keep the new OEM relay as a convenient backup in your trunk.

Old 11-15-20, 04:27 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Absolutely, plus the shapes are totally different between an R-series and W-series

In this case the OP needed to know how to tell the differences between an MKIII Supra W58, a later SC300 W58 Non-Tripod and even later SC300 & MKIV Supra W58 Tripod W58. He's got an MKIII W58 in his SC now and is looking for a later version SC or MKIV W58 to replace it with.

The underside of that fuse block cover should clearly say which one is the headlight low beam relay. It's also laid out and labeled in the SC300/400 TSRM.

You've misunderstood me. I wasn't saying that your MKIII Supra trans originally came in your or any SC. I was only pointing out what aspects an original SC300 5-speed chassis and W58 have that relate to the MKIII Supra W58 transmission lineage (which has several differences).

I was saying you should use the newer W58 throwout bearing. The W58-to-2JZ bellhousing on your MKIII W58 transmission will already have been swapped over from an SC/MKIV W58. Use the SC/MKIV W58 clutch service components.

Those relays rarely go bad but it is possible that this is the case. Get yourself an OEM relay and give it a try. If it turns out that wasn't the issue and further investigation is needed, reinstall the old one and keep the new OEM relay as a convenient backup in your trunk.
Thanks informing me as normal Kahn I did order a new headlight relay. Yet another question you said there's a low beam relay but when I removed the relay labeled headlights (there's only one) on the fuse block cover so I took it out and the highbeams also didn't work. So if that's normal Coolio if not lmk!!! I'm also gonna order a new control assembly because this one is beat the hell up anyway so both of those will be ruled out and thank you so much for clarifying for me about the throw out bearing there's damn near no info on that stuff so I appreciate it and it's been noted and will be ordered along with a stage two clutch decided to go with a mk4 w58 because it's just much easier will be less to mod away and is mutch cheaper I appreciate it all guys and this thread isn't over yet trust me il have more questions.
Old 11-15-20, 04:28 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Thanks informing me as normal Kahn I did order a new headlight relay. Yet another question you said there's a low beam relay but when I removed the relay labeled headlights (there's only one) on the fuse block cover so I took it out and the highbeams also didn't work. So if that's normal Coolio if not lmk!!! I'm also gonna order a new control assembly because this one is beat the hell up anyway so both of those will be ruled out and thank you so much for clarifying for me about the throw out bearing there's damn near no info on that stuff so I appreciate it and it's been noted and will be ordered along with a stage two clutch decided to go with a mk4 w58 because it's just much easier will be less to mod away and is mutch cheaper I appreciate it all guys and this thread isn't over yet trust me il have more questions.