Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 general transmission question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 03:03 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light bulbs

I need to know the bulb size for these lights I can't find it anywhere and they keep saying h3 but those don't fit...

Please lmk what bulb sizes these take because evrything us telling me h3 but that doesn't fit..
Old 11-16-20, 07:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Chase,

You said you have a 1997 SC300 but that front bumper is from a 1992-1994 or 1995-1996 model. What you're looking at in the clear lens is, for 1992-1994 SC's, a "Cornering Light" which actually only comes on with a certain degree of steering angle input while turning.

For 1995-1996 SC300/400's that same lens location was re-purposed by Lexus/Toyota for factory fog lamps with different body harness wiring and a fog light switch on the lighting control stalk.

For 1997-2000 the factory fog light wiring was unchanged but with the bumper design updated they did change the integrated fog light housings.

If you actually have a 1992-1994 model then the "cornering light" bulbs are common 1156 27W bulbs. If you have a 1995-2000 SC then those same LH and RH locations use an H3 55W bulb for the fog light function.

I have that cornering light wiring in my 1993 SC300 but I disabled it added on my own home built fog light harness with a relay triggering from my parking lights to an interior switch once I swapped over to a 1997-2000 SC front bumper.

The front side marker lights (yellow/amber lens) are Type 194 3.8W bulbs. Same for all 1992-2000 SC models.

Tell me, on the lighting control stalk on your steering wheel do you have an extra little switch/click for fog lamp operation or can you only control the main low beams and high beams from that stalk? 1992-1994 SC's have no factory switch on the lighting stalk for fog lamp operation. Only 1995+ have that extra built-in switch.

Maybe the previous owner of your 1997 SC300 broke the front bumper and replaced it with a cheap 1992-1994 or 1995-1996 front bumper?
Old 11-16-20, 07:57 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Chase,

You said you have a 1997 SC300 but that front bumper is from a 1992-1994 or 1995-1996 model. What you're looking at in the clear lens is, for 1992-1994 SC's, a "Cornering Light" which actually only comes on with a certain degree of steering angle input while turning.

For 1995-1996 SC300/400's that same lens location was re-purposed by Lexus/Toyota for factory fog lamps with different body harness wiring and a fog light switch on the lighting control stalk.

For 1997-2000 the factory fog light wiring was unchanged but with the bumper design updated they did change the integrated fog light housings.

If you actually have a 1992-1994 model then the "cornering light" bulbs are common 1156 27W bulbs. If you have a 1995-2000 SC then those same LH and RH locations use an H3 55W bulb for the fog light function.

I have that cornering light wiring in my 1993 SC300 but I disabled it added on my own home built fog light harness with a relay triggering from my parking lights to an interior switch once I swapped over to a 1997-2000 SC front bumper.

The front side marker lights (yellow/amber lens) are Type 194 3.8W bulbs. Same for all 1992-2000 SC models.

Tell me, on the lighting control stalk on your steering wheel do you have an extra little switch/click for fog lamp operation or can you only control the main low beams and high beams from that stalk? 1992-1994 SC's have no factory switch on the lighting stalk for fog lamp operation. Only 1995+ have that extra built-in switch.

Maybe the previous owner of your 1997 SC300 broke the front bumper and replaced it with a cheap 1992-1994 or 1995-1996 front bumper?
I do have it on the stalk so they are fog lights I assume and I found the bulb sizes I was confused because the actual sockets were missing from the fog lights and the marker lights can I use the same stockets for this lens as the fog lamp lense or will I need to find a new bumper if I want fog lights? so it looked off but I got it done hahaha Thanks alot Kahn as normal. Haha thanks man

Last edited by ChaseMcCla; 11-16-20 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 02:31 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by ChaseMcCla
I do have it on the stalk so they are fog lights I assume and I found the bulb sizes I was confused because the actual sockets were missing from the fog lights and the marker lights can I use the same stockets for this lens as the fog lamp lense or will I need to find a new bumper if I want fog lights? so it looked off but I got it done hahaha Thanks alot Kahn as normal. Haha thanks man
Okay, I was just checking to be sure. With an SC that has an extensive drift car history a lot could be not all that it seems. If you have a 1997 SC300 as indicated from the VIN number then you have the earlier style bumper on there. Most likely the previous owner damaged it and just swapped on an earlier style bumper to get something on there to sell the car with. Or the original bumper was sold. They're in demand and so are factory fog lights and harness connectors. Most likely the connectors were cut off to sell the original 97 bumper and fog lights as a whole set.

This won't help you if you plan to keep the current bumper on there because you will need different connectors for 1995-1996 bumper fog light housings but here are the part numbers needed for 97 fog light conversions... if you have an OEM or aftermarket 97-00 style front bumper.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ou-do-now.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iy-w-pics.html

AutoExtrude and Organized Garage Status both sell aftermarket 97-00 style fog lights btw if you were to decide to convert the car back to a 97-00 style bumper.

Barring that you'd need to look up the bulb connectors used for 95-96 style bumpers with their style fog light housings. I don't know what those are offhand. I'd dig into the appropriate model year SC300/400 EPC diagrams on partsouq's database. Either that or someone may have transcribed the five digit number on their 95-96 fog light connector and posted that online.

With almost all connectors on these cars you can find the five digit numbers embossed on the plastic housings and then add "90980--" before them to get a valid Toyota part number that you can order. IE: If a connector has "12345" embossed on it somewhere (you have to look carefully in some cases to find it) then you would order P/N: 90980-12345... just as a hypothetical example.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-17-20 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-17-20, 06:10 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Okay, I was just checking to be sure. With an SC that has an extensive drift car history a lot could be not all that it seems. If you have a 1997 SC300 as indicated from the VIN number then you have the earlier style bumper on there. Most likely the previous owner damaged it and just swapped on an earlier style bumper to get something on there to sell the car with. Or the original bumper was sold. They're in demand and so are factory fog lights and harness connectors. Most likely the connectors were cut off to sell the original 97 bumper and fog lights as a whole set.

This won't help you if you plan to keep the current bumper on there because you will need different connectors for 1995-1996 bumper fog light housings but here are the part numbers needed for 97 fog light conversions... if you have an OEM or aftermarket 97-00 style front bumper.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ou-do-now.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...iy-w-pics.html

AutoExtrude and Organized Garage Status both sell aftermarket 97-00 style fog lights btw if you were to decide to convert the car back to a 97-00 style bumper.

Barring that you'd need to look up the bulb connectors used for 95-96 style bumpers with their style fog light housings. I don't know what those are offhand. I'd dig into the appropriate model year SC300/400 EPC diagrams on partsouq's database. Either that or someone may have transcribed the five digit number on their 95-96 fog light connector and posted that online.

With almost all connectors on these cars you can find the five digit numbers embossed on the plastic housings and then add "90980--" before them to get a valid Toyota part number that you can order. IE: If a connector has "12345" embossed on it somewhere (you have to look carefully in some cases to find it) then you would order P/N: 90980-12345... just as a hypothetical example.
Hey man I checked my harness and It still has the factory connectors. For the fog lights attached FINALLY LUCK WITH THIS CAR AAHAH is there any way I can't just plug those connections into the cornering light and use them as if they were fog lights just to have something or should I buy the 95-96 fog lights and get the 97-00 sockets? EDIT: also i noticed that the low beam light dosent come on and the low beams dont come on but the lighting on the climate controls comes on??? so idk what it could be besides the relay but the highbeamks work so i dont think its the relay im replacing the whole switch stack soon so il lyk if that works if you have any other insight lmkkk

Last edited by ChaseMcCla; 11-17-20 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 10:04 PM
KahnBB6

Hey man I checked my harness and It still has the factory connectors. For the fog lights attached FINALLY LUCK WITH THIS CAR AAHAH is there any way I can't just plug those connections into the cornering light and use them as if they were fog lights just to have something or should I buy the 95-96 fog lights and get the 97-00 sockets?
Since you have a 1997 SC300 if the factory original fog light connectors are still intact and wired up on each side then they will only click into a 1997-2000 SC fog light housing or aftermarket housing that uses the same connector. The 1997-2000 SC fog light assemblies have their bulb receptacles and male-end connectors built into the pre-formed plastic castings. Therefore you can't just buy the connectors for the other side. You can only use your stock original 1997+ fog light connectors on a 1997+ fog light housing.

What I was saying in a previous post is that it's possible to identify what the fog light electrical connectors are for 1995-1996 SC's, cut your 1997 connectors off and solder those pigtail 95-96 connectors in their place.... but that's even assuming you have a 1995-1996 style SC front bumper on the car right now. What if you actually have a 1992-1994 style front bumper with the factory cornering light housings that likely use yet another different type of bulb connector?

If the H3 bulbs you are supposed to be able to use will not fit into what should be "fog light" housings on that front bumper then it is extremely likely that you actually have a 1992-1994 style front bumper on the car which of course have "cornering light" housings which accept a standard 27W bulb.

That's my best guess as to what is going on with your situation.

Further... why would you want to get rid of factory original 1997+ SC fog light electrical connectors on a 1997 SC300 that is designed for the desirable 1997+ style front bumper that it originally came with? The problem here is the front bumper you have, not the electrical connectors for the fog lights coming from your 1997 SC's body harness.

Either a used OEM 1997-2000 SC300/400/Soarer front bumper or a polyurethane KBD or other aftermarket 1997-2000 style SC front bumper will bolt right on and already have the locations for OEM or aftermarket 1997-00 SC style fog lights.

EDIT: also i noticed that the low beam light dosent come on and the low beams dont come on but the lighting on the climate controls comes on??? so idk what it could be besides the relay but the highbeamks work so i dont think its the relay im replacing the whole switch stack soon so il lyk if that works if you have any other insight lmkkk
I'm honestly stumped about your low beam issue. Not enough information or pictures to show any wiring irregularities and I'd have to be in front of the car and try diagnosing that circuit in the electrical system although I doubt it's anything major that can't be righted. You definitely need the SC electrical wiring TSRM for your model year at this point. It's just impossible to accurately diagnose what is going on with them without more information, picture documentation and your own electrical investigation of that circuit being posted here.

Do you own an electrical multimeter and some small alligator clip wires to test circuits, wires and contacts with?

The climate control operation has nothing to do with your low or high beam operation. Those are totally different and separate circuits. If you mean the climate control backlighting (along with the rest of the interior backlighting) then that is supposed to all come on when you turn the lighting control stalk switch to "ON" or when in "Auto" mode the daylight sensor in the top of the dash detects a low enough level of outside ambient light such that it activates the low beam headlights and interior backlighting automatically.

That just means that your interior backlight system is operating normally even though there is an issue with actually getting power to the low beam bulbs.

I don't recall how the high beam circuit is wired offhand but it entirely makes sense that you can make them come on with your control stalk even though your low beams have an issue preventing them from turning on.

Side note that may not be all that helpful: Something 1992-1994 SC's do not have but which 1995-2000 SC's do have is a little "low beams ON" green symbol in the top of the instrument gauge cluster right next to where the "high beams ON" blue symbol is located. If your lighting control stalk is set for your low beam lights to turn on manually or for them to turn on automatically with the ambient light sensor in the dashboard covered or after dusk hours then you should still see that little green "low beams ON" light illuminated inside the gauge cluster's top area.

That is, unless the 1995-2000 SC's have some system by which the little green light indicator doesn't do that if there is a problem electrically with the low beam light operation. I really don't know since I have no experience with any 1995-2000 SC's but I know that someone here who does could confirm whether it just illuminates with the control switch set to ON or Auto or if the 1995+ version of the low beam lighting circuit uses that little green indicator to alert the owner of a problem with the low beam lights.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 11-17-20 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 10:34 PM
ChaseMcCla
Driver

Since you have a 1997 SC300 if the factory original fog light connectors are still intact and wired up on each side then they will only click into a 1997-2000 SC fog light housing or aftermarket housing that uses the same connector. The 1997-2000 SC fog light assemblies have their bulb receptacles and male-end connectors built into the pre-formed plastic castings. Therefore you can't just buy the connectors for the other side. You can only use your stock original 1997+ fog light connectors on a 1997+ fog light housing.

What I was saying in a previous post is that it's possible to identify what the fog light electrical connectors are for 1995-1996 SC's, cut your 1997 connectors off and solder those pigtail 95-96 connectors in their place.... but that's even assuming you have a 1995-1996 style SC front bumper on the car right now. What if you actually have a 1992-1994 style front bumper with the factory cornering light housings that likely use yet another different type of bulb connector?

If the H3 bulbs you are supposed to be able to use will not fit into what should be "fog light" housings on that front bumper then it is extremely likely that you actually have a 1992-1994 style front bumper on the car which of course have "cornering light" housings which accept a standard 27W bulb.

That's my best guess as to what is going on with your situation.

Further... why would you want to get rid of factory original 1997+ SC fog light electrical connectors on a 1997 SC300 that is designed for the desirable 1997+ style front bumper that it originally came with? The problem here is the front bumper you have, not the electrical connectors for the fog lights coming from your 1997 SC's body harness.

Either a used OEM 1997-2000 SC300/400/Soarer front bumper or a polyurethane KBD or other aftermarket 1997-2000 style SC front bumper will bolt right on and already have the locations for OEM or aftermarket 1997-00 SC style fog lights.

I'm honestly stumped about your low beam issue. Not enough information or pictures to show any wiring irregularities and I'd have to be in front of the car and try diagnosing that circuit in the electrical system although I doubt it's anything major that can't be righted. You definitely need the SC electrical wiring TSRM for your model year at this point. It's just impossible to accurately diagnose what is going on with them without more information, picture documentation and your own electrical investigation of that circuit being posted here.

Do you own an electrical multimeter and some small alligator clip wires to test circuits, wires and contacts with?

The climate control operation has nothing to do with your low or high beam operation. Those are totally different and separate circuits. If you mean the climate control backlighting (along with the rest of the interior backlighting) then that is supposed to all come on when you turn the lighting control stalk switch to "ON" or when in "Auto" mode the daylight sensor in the top of the dash detects a low enough level of outside ambient light such that it activates the low beam headlights and interior backlighting automatically.

That just means that your interior backlight system is operating normally even though there is an issue with actually getting power to the low beam bulbs.

I don't recall how the high beam circuit is wired offhand but it entirely makes sense that you can make them come on with your control stalk even though your low beams have an issue preventing them from turning on.

Side note that may not be all that helpful: Something 1992-1994 SC's do not have but which 1995-2000 SC's do have is a little "low beams ON" green symbol in the top of the instrument gauge cluster right next to where the "high beams ON" blue symbol is located. If your lighting control stalk is set for your low beam lights to turn on manually or for them to turn on automatically with the ambient light sensor in the dashboard covered or after dusk hours then you should still see that little green "low beams ON" light illuminated inside the gauge cluster's top area.

That is, unless the 1995-2000 SC's have some system by which the little green light indicator doesn't do that if there is a problem electrically with the low beam light operation. I really don't know since I have no experience with any 1995-2000 SC's but I know that someone here who does could confirm whether it just illuminates with the control switch set to ON or Auto or if the 1995+ version of the low beam lighting circuit uses that little green indicator to alert the owner of a problem with the low beam lights.
Thanks for the quick response the last thing I'm doing is cutting into my harness thays a fact I just wanted to know if I could use the cornering lights until I get the money to replace the bumper and fof lights because it's expensive if not. I'm dielectric grease the conector and leave it for now Thanks aton and the low beams get power because they stay on while the high beams are on its just they don't turn on when the actual low beam is the only thing turned on leading me to believe it's the turn stock I can get pictures of what I'm looking at tomorrow for ya Kahn and thanks aton also yeah I do have a low beams on light on my dash I see it but it doesn't turn on when I move the stock. Just off my head the wires look fully intact and everything works like I said the low beams stay on when the high beams are on so it's not a power issue hahah this car really is a rats nest...