Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92’ SC400 Cuts out at 3000 rpm.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-20, 06:49 AM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92’ SC400 Cuts out at 3000 rpm.

1992 SC400 NO CODES SHOWING.
When it’s dead cold it will run great for 5-10 minutes. Goes up to redline driving in lower gears.
After warming up my SC400 starts cutting out at about 4000 rpm.
After about 30 minutes more on the freeway it starts cutting out about 3000 rpm. 70-80mph
After about a hour more any grade it starts cutting out (2800-2500) and a big hill I’m struggling just to get over it. 60-65 mph or lower.
If I let it sit for 15-20 minutes it cuts out a little over 3000 rpm and I can continue on for another hour or so at close to 75 mph then it starts slowing. If I hold the peddle on the floor it just slows down. I have a gradually re-apply to drop down the the RPM it feels like running at.

On Vegas trips from San Bernardino to Vegas (200 miles) if I don’t stop and let it do it’s thing (cool off,reset its self ?) It’s a struggle to keep up with freeways speeds, I can barely get past 1500 rpm when I pull into town on city streets. Struggling to get up to 35mph.
If I let it sit for a few hours it all starts over.

Chasing this problem I have replaced the computer a few times, I had 2 rebuilt, 1 I tried rebuild myself, I just bought one from Tanin’s Electrix. No change other than shifting points.
I replaced the timing belt, spark plugs, new coils, caps & rotors, plug wires, TPS, fuel pump, bypassed fuel pump, cleaned the tank, replaced to fuel pump, replaced fuel filter twice, Cleaned IAC, looked at the fuel lines for being brittle or cracked, looked for vacuum leaks. All fluids changed, un-hooked the button under gas peddle.
Still no change. Still no codes.

Next on list.. O2 sensors, Cats, cam sensors, FPR, knock sensor. I just find it so frustrating to not have some codes to point me in a direction.

It sounds good, runs great for a few minutes, idles smooth, good sound (doesn’t sound plugged) I have dumped enough money in it to have bought a new car. New tires, brakes, struts, stereo, speakers, climate control, window tint, all fluids changed, new serpentine belt, new headlights, tail lights.
ANYONE know anything other than guessing ?
To me it stills sound like a problem with the ECU and if anyone has a good running 1992 SC400 in So Calif. I will pay gladly to do a switch to knock that out of my mind..

Last edited by Nikad92395; 11-25-20 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Clarified
Old 11-25-20, 02:33 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Today’s order came in. EGR, MAF, FPR switch. No CHANGE.
Old 11-25-20, 09:31 PM
pauljc63
Driver School Candidate

I have a 92 SC400 that was cutting out on me. I got all sorts of remedies from everywhere. I was told I needed a new gas tank, New fuel pump timing sensor, ECU and so on. It turned out to be the 12 volt wiring plug going into the upper ignition coil. Try jiggling it wile the car is running and see if it cuts out.
Old 11-26-20, 07:07 AM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

I’m not sure what a “upper ignition coil” is ? Right bank ?
I have replaced both coils.
Old 11-26-20, 09:35 AM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

What brand MAF did you buy and what city are you in? Try driving it with the Maf unplugged. Also since your throwing parts at the car go ahead and replace the coolant temperature sensor its about 30 bucks

Last edited by SexCoupe; 11-26-20 at 09:41 AM.
Old 11-26-20, 10:40 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

To the op, I have a spare 92 ecm i took out of a parts car while back, it was reported to be running fine then the timing belt snapped and it was junked so i got tons of parts off it. Im in norcal bay area oakland berkeley area so if your ever around here pm me and we can hook this ecm up to see if it works, cheers
Old 11-26-20, 11:15 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

What brand coils did you go with? SC400's are real sensitive to coils, for some reason. Trying a used OEM set would be worthwhile, if you went aftermarket. That's a long shot, though. I would guess you've got some bad wiring or connectors somewhere. Have you checked the driver's front wheel well for wiring harness rub through up top?
Old 11-26-20, 12:36 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
What brand MAF did you buy and what city are you in? Try driving it with the Maf unplugged. Also since your throwing parts at the car go ahead and replace the coolant temperature sensor its about 30 bucks
I will try the temp sensor, it’s cheap enough. Lol
MAF. After reading about cleaning it, (some had results, some had ruined results)
I HAD RUINED RESULTS ! It stumbled, coughed, ran like poop..
I ordered one from RockAuto and I ran to PickUrPart and bought another..
Runs exactly the same as it did before..
I will go unplug it right now and try it..
Un-plugged it and No change other than runs like poop off idle.

Last edited by Nikad92395; 11-26-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 12:42 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
To the op, I have a spare 92 ecm i took out of a parts car while back, it was reported to be running fine then the timing belt snapped and it was junked so i got tons of parts off it. Im in norcal bay area oakland berkeley area so if your ever around here pm me and we can hook this ecm up to see if it works, cheers
Thanks form what I gathered up. ECU’s, The capacitors just start leaking over time so unless it’s being used at the moment of switching out, it’s a crap shoot.
I have pulled 2 from pick your part, I bought cheap capacitors off eBay and tried replacing myself (no change) had one rebuilt by a ECU rebuilder, and bought a $600.00 one off TaninElectronix the #1 guy most use. No change.
Thank you for your offer !
Old 11-26-20, 12:46 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by t2d2
What brand coils did you go with? SC400's are real sensitive to coils, for some reason. Trying a used OEM set would be worthwhile, if you went aftermarket. That's a long shot, though. I would guess you've got some bad wiring or connectors somewhere. Have you checked the driver's front wheel well for wiring harness rub through up top?
Coils.. I bought a set from Pick your part and a set from Rock auto. No Change at all.
I looked at the wheel wells for rubbing and no signs.. I guess I better take a little apart and inspect it closely..
Old 11-26-20, 07:14 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

ok next get zipties and unscrew both o2 sensors and ziptie them to something so they dont dangle and drive it if you have power then your cats are bad. if that doesnt change anything do a compression test and make sure your timing is good. if all that checks out i would do some serious wire loom inspections
Old 11-26-20, 08:15 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SexCoupe
ok next get zipties and unscrew both o2 sensors and ziptie them to something so they dont dangle and drive it if you have power then your cats are bad. if that doesnt change anything do a compression test and make sure your timing is good. if all that checks out i would do some serious wire loom inspections
I’m lost on this.
Please explain. Do cats get more clogged the more you drive it and un-clog if you let it sit for 20 minutes ?
cats getting hot and 02 sensors messing up ?
Same with timing ?
I can see a/the sensor, wires/wire loom getting hot and be a cause.
Old 11-27-20, 01:25 PM
SexCoupe
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nikad92395
I’m lost on this.
Please explain. Do cats get more clogged the more you drive it and un-clog if you let it sit for 20 minutes ?
cats getting hot and 02 sensors messing up ?
Same with timing ?
I can see a/the sensor, wires/wire loom getting hot and be a cause.
They can melt,clog, broken pieces can accumulate and clog as your drive and and heat expands and contracts metal and can change its properties. Removing the front/pre o2 sensors allows the exhaust to breath when the cats are clogged.
Bad wire look wont change due to hot and cold. It can only effect open and closed loop functions which is cold and hot running temp which is controlled by ecu and sensors.
Old 11-28-20, 11:24 AM
pauljc63
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nikad92395
I’m not sure what a “upper ignition coil” is ? Right bank ?
I have replaced both coils.
On the 92 SC400's the ignition coils are on the driver's side in the engine compartment. One is above the other. The 12 volt plug going into the ignition coil was shorting out which it was causing my car to cut out suddenly. Somebody on this site had the very same problem.
Old 11-28-20, 02:07 PM
Nikad92395
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pauljc63
On the 92 SC400's the ignition coils are on the driver's side in the engine compartment. One is above the other. The 12 volt plug going into the ignition coil was shorting out which it was causing my car to cut out suddenly. Somebody on this site had the very same problem.
oh ok.. I thought maybe I missed 2.. lol
On my 92 Sc400 I have one on the side of the block (drivers side) and one up by the timing belt cover (passenger side)
I replaced both of those. Mine doesn’t just cut out while driving, like hitting a bump, turning,etc. Just won’t accelerate after a good amount of time driving as explained.
Thank you for explaining !

Quick Reply: 92’ SC400 Cuts out at 3000 rpm.