Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Help with SC300 Replacement Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-20, 01:56 PM
loganscott
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with SC300 Replacement Exhaust System

Good afternoon!

I recently purchased a 1994 SC300 5 Speed, and I'm looking at getting a new exhaust system. It was a midwest car, and the exhaust quite literally rusted in half just past (what I'm assuming is) the cat. Please see the photo below to see the portions of the exhaust that needs replaced.

I'm looking for a replacement system that is more performance oriented in sound, not something that is going to sound stock. Is there anything out there that I can buy that would essentially replace it all the way to the cat?

Im new to this car and this forum, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Section of exhaust that was removed
Old 12-28-20, 08:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

Welcome to the SC300/400 forum and congratulations on your purchase and find of that 5-speed!!

I'd recommend doing an axle-back Manzo (aka M2) cat-back exhaust. Excellent sound with both NA and turbo setups in an SC300 (and SC400). Tanabe does or has made a nice Racing Medallion catback dual exhaust as well.

Most all of the bolt-in single exhaust systems that cross-reference to the Supra MKIV will also fit the SC300 with a pipe extension piece to account for the slightly longer wheelbase or a modification to the exhaust pipe but those are all intended for turbocharging applications where the turbo naturally changes and slightly muffles the exhaust note.

Alternatively, just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them remove the rear resonators and weld pipe into those areas. That immediately changes the sound of the factory dual exhaust system to a much nicer tone. It's very stealth and has been done to many SC300's and SC400's.

When my car was stock and naturally aspirated I went with the bolt-in Manzo/M2 catback exhaust system and I left the resonators in. I was very pleased with the much nicer change in sound for an NA inline-six without it being far too loud. When I swapped to a turbo engine (factory stock tune so no need for aggressively larger piping) I opted to still run the same M2 catback system and it also sounds very good in that configuration.

Most of the available bolt-on exhaust systems for these cars are cat-back but there are cat-less midpipes available also. With an NA engine there isn't much advantage to deleting the #2 or #1 cat. Even with an NA-T or factory turbo engine swap it doesn't hurt to have an aftermarket high flow cat installed under the car even with custom large diameter piping unless you're pushing a seriously huge boost number, a very aggressive tune on a standalone ECU, anti-lag, launch control, nitrous with boost, etc.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-28-20 at 09:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
loganscott (01-11-21)