Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC400 Electric EGR Test Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-22, 10:18 AM
Ptowndon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys...... still battling the EGR Code 71 issue. EGR testing procedure tells us that you should not touch the gasket behind the EGR valve with your hands. Can someone explain why the gasket cannot be touched.

The car runs perfect but the CEL comes on at highway speed....assuming this is when the EGR valve should open.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Don
Old 04-12-22, 08:53 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptowndon
Guys...... still battling the EGR Code 71 issue. EGR testing procedure tells us that you should not touch the gasket behind the EGR valve with your hands. Can someone explain why the gasket cannot be touched.

The car runs perfect but the CEL comes on at highway speed....assuming this is when the EGR valve should open.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Don
. Try the ecm , I did this same song and dance , changed out that valve 3 times and nothing changed, the second I popped in that ecm the code left, been fine for years now
Old 04-12-22, 09:42 AM
Ptowndon
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestion to try another ECM. Would love to do that, but I don't have one to try. If you were in this situation would you have your old ECM refurbished or what would be a better alternative? Thanks, ObSCessed!!

Don
Old 04-12-22, 09:50 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion to try another ECM. Would love to do that, but I don't have one to try. If you were in this situation would you have your old ECM refurbished or what would be a better alternative? Thanks, ObSCessed!!

Don
in my situation I purchased a good used ecm off a donor car, I have 2 spare ecms, I have yet to send any in to have them refurbished but am planning to soon, if you have another car to daily I would say send yours in and get the capacitors worked on
Old 04-12-22, 10:06 AM
Ptowndon
Rookie

ObSCessed.......

OK....... where is the best place to get the ECM refurbished. Where are you in California? I'm in Pleasanton (Bay area).
Old 04-12-22, 11:31 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

ObSCessed.......

OK....... where is the best place to get the ECM refurbished. Where are you in California? I'm in Pleasanton (Bay area).
For this I recommend contacting Tanin Auto Electronix. They do not advertise their ECM capacitor replacement service any longer but you can request this service from them via phone. Requires mailing your ECM to them. I've personally had them restore a couple of ECM's for me in addition to their other services for SC's. Good company. Their main service office is in Racine, Wisconsin. They also have a satellite repair office in San Diego, CA.
Old 10-20-22, 03:21 PM
Ptowndon
Rookie

Thought I would bring closure to this thread by saying my EGR Code 71 and Check Engine Light problem have been solved. At least after 2 weeks of driving..... car runs perfect.

Based on the advice given earlier by you guys, I decided to try a different ECM (computer). First, I removed mine and opened it up. I found one of the capacitors leaking so I knew this was not a good thing. Then.....I purchased a refurbished ECM from Flagship One that came to me "plug-and-play". The car started right up with the new ECM and has run perfectly. No Check Engine Light!!

Just wanted others to know that my EGR error code was apparently related to the ECM being defective. Aside from the EGR code coming on/off at random, the car ran perfectly. That is why I deliberated so long on getting a new (refurbished) ECM. Now on to other problems.

Thanks to all.........

Don
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (10-20-22)