Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I went to my local supra shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 07:47 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess its where i come from; by stock block; i figure the block is stock
keep forgetting that no one custom forges 2jzs.... yet
god that would be the f-in day tho
Old 09-20-03, 10:29 AM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Bean
but if a shop takes 2.5 months to do a swap they dont know what they're doing

my friend did his SR20 swap himself in under a month and he works full time
Jarrett@PHR took 2.5 months on my car. I dunno if i can say he doesn't know what hes doing though.
Old 09-20-03, 06:44 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I've been working on my 2jz-gte for 4.5 months and i estimate another month to be perfect. I've had the lexus engine out for about 1.5 months. But than again, i am extremely meticulious because this is my first experience with a 2jz and the build quality is amazing. A proper complete rebuild and diy harness fabrication takes time. Unless you've done it before of course.
Old 09-20-03, 06:46 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I just don't get it... Why are shops and individuals performing GTE swaps just to get rid of a perfectly good GE motor? The only significant difference is oil cooled pistons and 2 degrees of exhaust timing. That's it! Piston oil cooling can be overcome by using methanol/water water injection which I'd recommend on a GTE motor, anway. Then, you don't have to run race gas just to run high boost. Plus, methanol only runs about $2+ per gallon. Meth injection kits run a little over $300, and you can run high boost *all the time* on pump gas.

The only downside to the GE motor is the higher compression ratio which can be overcome with a thicker hg. However, you'll lose the squish effect on the piston. Both the GE and GTE motors share about the same squish (~0.60"), and raising the deck clearance on the GE head will all but eliminate the squish effect once you add an additional 0.080"+. On the flip side, the TT ports where designed to point to cylinders 3&4 to accomodate the twin turbos. On t04r.com, one of the engine experts even describes the ports on the GTE head as "diabolical". Those are the words of an expert, not mine. The NA head doesn't suffer from that problem.

Full conversions *are* pricey. So why make it worse with a TT engine swap just to put a large single on it, anyway? Fortunately, powerplant turbo conversions for the GE motor are reasonably priced for modest boost these days. However, if you expect to *reliably* put 500+ hp to the wheels, then the cost of a NA-T conversion or TT swap will run $15k in a heartbeat even if you do it yourself. You'd be better off just getting a Supra TT to start with so that the cost of the driveline is absorbed into the cost of the car. The driveline swap isn't cheap; especially, if you're planning on an aftermarket clutch and DS.

So... if you have an orphaned NA motor, call me. I'll probably be interested in taking that worthless engine off your hands.

-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-20-03 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 08:53 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

Because i want 1200 horsepower someday

No really, my reason was:

GTE intake setup
Coil packs
Getrag transmission
Supra LSD
Newer engine (my GE had 130k, but i know thats not much)
Spare parts from the GE

But i think overall i just personally appreciate a full swap in anything more than a turbo kit. Granted, some people do their turbo kits very very well as in rebuilding the engine, valve jobs, engine management system, etc. But some don't. Some just buy a kit and slap it on. For the most part lexus people don't just "slap" the kit on, but imho, a GTE in a Lexus is the way Toyota engineers would have done it, but didn't.

Also...

Complete turbo kit = $5500
Rebuild = $800
Total = $6300

GTE clip = $6000
Rebuild = $800
Total = $6800

This is a very rough estimate, but if you stuck with the 5speed trans (not a good idea for 600+ hp) than the prices would be very comparable.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-20-03, 09:07 PM
TurboB6
Lead Lap

In my case I didn't have a "perfectly good GE motor". The car overall was in mint condition (exterior/interior) when I purchased it but mechanically it wasn't taken care of. The engine developed or had rod knock, the radiator was leaking etc.. But I actually drove it a year before deciding to do the GTE swap.
Old 09-20-03, 09:54 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

The biggest reason why I am biased towards the gte, is becuase of the tranny, even if I build my uato tranny I have now for it to take the punishment. I don't like the fact that my gearing is limited at less then 150 mph.

I wanna have the bragging right of being faster then almost all exotic cars...

That and the flat salt lakes is not to far away from here... If I ever wanted to do a top speed run...
Old 09-20-03, 10:24 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bmsport
Because i want 1200 horsepower someday

No really, my reason was:

GTE intake setup
Coil packs
Getrag transmission
Supra LSD
Newer engine (my GE had 130k, but i know thats not much)
Spare parts from the GE

But i think overall i just personally appreciate a full swap in anything more than a turbo kit. Granted, some people do their turbo kits very very well as in rebuilding the engine, valve jobs, engine management system, etc. But some don't. Some just buy a kit and slap it on. For the most part lexus people don't just "slap" the kit on, but imho, a GTE in a Lexus is the way Toyota engineers would have done it, but didn't.

Also...

Complete turbo kit = $5500
Rebuild = $800
Total = $6300

GTE clip = $6000
Rebuild = $800
Total = $6800

This is a very rough estimate, but if you stuck with the 5speed trans (not a good idea for 600+ hp) than the prices would be very comparable.

Just my $.02.
you missed the fact that the GE kit would be making 400rwhp or so while the GTE would be stock
i also built mine for $3k and now that i've ironed out the bugs it runs great (my fault on the bugs )
Old 09-20-03, 10:38 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Other then the gearing limited issue, I would have no qualms about turbocharging my ge.
Old 09-20-03, 11:44 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

I am also one who wonders ALL THE TIME why people are doing swaps !? For those of you who are auto and want to make over 400rwhp, then I understand a little better than those 5 speed guys .. but still, you are wasting a great motor. I dont see paying $7k-$12k for a complete swap and only have 320hp (crank). That is rediculous. Throw on a headgasket and a single turbo kit and make 450rwhp and have some fun for half the price.
Old 09-21-03, 01:06 PM
racing fan
Driver

I agree with most of the guys here as I've expressed before

I think with our new tubular turbo kit for the ge we will prove to the world how potent this engine is. We are also starting to offer built na auto trannies which we feel will hold jsut as much as our built tt transmissions.
Old 09-21-03, 01:20 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

built na auto tranny? Hypothetically speaking up to what top speed would I be gear limited too?
Old 09-21-03, 01:24 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I think its mostly an opinion thing, i really enjoy engine swaps, we've done numerous sr20 swaps as well as a few KA turbo kits. Both projects have turned out great, but i enjoyed the full swaps alot more.
Old 09-21-03, 01:58 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i think its more of a monetary thing

got $4k for a turbo kit or $10k for a motor/tranny swap?
Old 09-21-03, 03:17 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Inabj2
built na auto tranny? Hypothetically speaking up to what top speed would I be gear limited too?
I believe its around 200mph at 8krpm

Quick Reply: So I went to my local supra shop.....