Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I went to my local supra shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-03 | 03:18 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Bean
i think its more of a monetary thing

got $4k for a turbo kit or $10k for a motor/tranny swap?
I could have done a swap with the money I've spent.......
Old 09-21-03 | 03:58 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by racing fan
I believe its around 200mph at 8krpm

Im VERY interested, please tell more!
Old 09-21-03 | 04:00 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Inabj2
So I went to my local supra shop
What shop was this intense or apex?

-Steve
Old 09-21-03 | 04:39 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Apex, located on Tucson,

Right on Speedway and Swan.
Old 09-21-03 | 05:26 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

I could have done a swap with the money I've spent.......
so you think you could swap in an AEM and a single turbo kit, etc, etc, etc for the same price of a GTE swap?

damn.... pte66, good for what? 600rwhp or so?

vs 320hp

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-21-03 | 05:27 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Inabj2
Im VERY interested, please tell more!
what else do you want to know
Old 09-21-03 | 05:32 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Bean
so you think you could swap in an AEM and a single turbo kit, etc, etc, etc for the same price of a GTE swap?

damn.... pte66, good for what? 600rwhp or so?

vs 320hp

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
GTE swaps seem to have different prices whoever you ask because differnet people pay different prices for the longblocks/drivetrain.

Our new tubular turbo kit will be in the mid 4k range, built trans for 1800, stall for 850, 1900 fuel system, our new sc300 dual exhaust especially made for turbo applications aem and guages

This will put you at the same level as a supra whos invested 10k into going single with a built tranny and aem.
Old 09-21-03 | 07:02 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

...Our new tubular turbo kit will be in the mid 4k range, built trans for 1800, stall for 850, 1900 fuel system, our new sc300 dual exhaust especially made for turbo applications aem and guages...
Racing Fan,

Since you're posting and, in a sense, advertising the boost logic kit, I have a few comments.

"tubular turbo kit" - good idea but not required unless you're putting 600+ to the ground. I can get a Toyomoto manifold for $850 and a DaveH manifold for even less. Plus, I know the reliability of the Toyomoto mani, and it will do the job to almost 700hp.

"fuel system" - $1900? It can be done for about half that. I modified the GE fuel rail for dual feed center return *with* at least 75lb injectors. Dual walbros - one on all the time; second pump comes on at 8psi via a LS pull-to-ground on a relay using the AEM. Both pumps feed an 8AN steel braided line to a Y-block in the engine bay that splits into two 6AN lines to the rail. 75lb injectors; Aeromotive FPR; fuel pressure gauge. Total cost. about $1000.

"sc300 dual exhaust" - Outside of replacing the entire exhaust with something over 3" in diameter, I don't understand what else you can do to get more out of the exhaust. I spent $150 on the dp, $150 on the midpipe, and $315 on double offset, straight-through Magniflows, installed. Shoot, I'm still running the midpipe cat, and the OEM exhaust has supported 20psi of boost at 5000 rpm. Clearly, even the stock exhaust doesn't prohibit turbo spool.

"guages" - Absolutely *not* required. Kevin ***** now sells a digitial dash for the AEM which supports versions 0.94 and 1.03. It completely replaces the need for any guages and costs $300. I bought his third prototype dash, and it just plain rocks. It saved me over $700 in analog guages.

**EDIT**
"built trans for 1800, stall for 850" - I don't know much about auto trannies, but this looks like a good deal. It certainly beats a v160 swap cost-wise and is more suited to drag racing, anyway.

Best regards,
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 09-22-03 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-21-03 | 07:08 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

motorheaddown, link me up to those guages for the AEM ???

racing fan, $1,800 for a built auto tranny ? I am all over that after/when/if this one breaks.
Old 09-21-03 | 07:41 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by motorheaddown
Racing Fan,

Since you're posting and, in a sense, advertising the boost logic kit, I have a few comments.

"tubular turbo kit" - good idea but not required unless you're putting 600+ to the ground. I can get a Toyomoto manifold for $850 and a DaveH manifold for even less. Plus, I know the reliability of the Toyomoto mani, and it will do the job to almost 700hp.

"fuel system" - $1900? It can be done for about half that. I modified the GE fuel rail for dual feed center return *with* at least 75lb injectors. Dual walbros - one on all the time; second pump comes on at 8psi via a LS pull-to-ground on a relay using the AEM. Both pumps feed an 8AN steel braided line to a Y-block in the engine bay that splits into two 6AN lines to the rail. 75lb injectors; Aeromotive FPR; fuel pressure gauge. Total cost. about $1000.

"sc300 dual exhaust" - Outside of replacing the entire exhaust with something over 3" in diameter, I don't understand what else you can do to get more out of the exhaust. I spent $150 on the dp, $150 on the midpipe, and $315 on double offset, straight-through Magniflows, installed. Shoot, I'm still running the midpipe cat, and the OEM exhaust has supported 20psi of boost at 5000 rpm. Clearly, even the stock exhaust doesn't prohibit turbo spool.

"guages" - Absolutely *not* required. Kevin ***** now sells a digitial dash for the AEM which supports versions 0.94 and 1.03. It completely replaces the need for any guages and costs $300. I bought the his third prototype dash, and it just plain rocks. It saved me over $700 in analog guages.

**EDIT**
"built trans for 1800, stall for 850" - I don't know much about auto trannies, but this looks like a good deal. It certainly beats a v160 swap cost-wise and is more suited to drag racing, anyway.

Best regards,
-scott
no prob... I am selling/developing the kit and other parts so feel free to ask questions.

While its true you don't NEED the tubular manifold... Its much more of a quality piece. I think it looks 10 times better and its obviously nice for people who have high goals and are boost addicts Theres numerous options for fuel... I was jsut mentioning our fuel system that we sell with the custom rail. We include 3" polished ss downpipe and midpipe wiht our turbo kit and the exhaust will feature either 3 or 3.5" piping to a y which then goes to dual 2.5" pipes/mufflers with custom tips that match the sc nicely... All polished ss....

More info on the digital dash! I've been looking into this kind of thing and had some ideas for it. Glad to see some one else made it already. Can you give me his contact info?

The tranny is built similar to our twin turbo trannies and we feel it will hold teh same amount of hp, 800rwhp. I am working on getting a company to make a nice billet tc for us
Old 09-21-03 | 08:29 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Actually, I had the muffler shop cut the OEM exhaust tips of the stock mufflers and had them installed on the Magnaflows. The look of the exhaust is almost *exactly* OEM. In fact, I've had to tell my friends they're aftermarket; otherwise, they would have never known.

Yeah... I'll forward the info on the digital dash. In brief, Kevin "sniffed" all the rs232 packets off the AEM interface to the laptop and built a board that emulates a pc that's about the footprint of a playing card. It includes a small 5-button interface, and a 8", 14-line, 2-column display. You can pick just about all the AEM "parameters" from a menu guided through options at the bottom of the display using the button interface. The display shows whatever sensor data you want to display in text or bar-graph form, and you can setup the display to flash for over or under conditions (i.e. over boost, low fuel pressure, etc). He's also going to include some D/A outputs to drive LEDs that you can mount in your field-of-view just so you don't have to look at the dash. He's also working on a mini-dyno for it. It's *unbelievable*.

-scott
Old 09-21-03 | 08:55 PM
racing fan
Driver

Wow... I'm definetly in on the dash... Got any pics? where did you mount yours?

On our exhaust.. the look isn't to copy stock.. tis a nice aftermarket look.. very classy imo
Old 09-26-03 | 04:34 AM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Is the exhaust available yet? If so what the cost of it? I am very interested... Also does Boostlogic doing any wholesale accounts? Thanks Tommy D
Old 09-26-03 | 08:15 AM
racing fan
Driver

shoot me an email tommy... zohair@boostlogic.com
Old 09-26-03 | 08:27 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

racing fan, can you tell me more about your BL automatic? Do you have a valve body available for the A341E?

Quick Reply: So I went to my local supra shop.....