Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So I went to my local supra shop.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-03 | 06:48 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Default So I went to my local supra shop.....

And discussed, a supra tt swap, and ways to make my car fast. Please tell me what you think!

I came back already the guy did give me some info.

Most of it matched with what I already knew.

He more or less suggested that I go the 1jz-gte route (2.5 L Inline 6 Twin Turbo.)

Rather then the 2jz-gte route. He told me that I could purchase a whole soarer front clip for 3000 grand including dash blah blah blah. And then have them install them. He told me itd be an easier installation. Since itd involve very little to no customization. On the note he told me that this engine would be capable of 600 - 700 rwhp, and perhaps could be build to my Goal of 800+ rwhp.

He gave me info on another shop that has a soarer, as well as where to get the front clip from.

On the 2jz-gte and 6 speed tranny.

Basically told me to expect to blow about 12,000-15000 for a well done conversion. He told me that id need a supra rear end and itd involve some steep amount of customization. And told me to expect to spend 25000 or so for my goal.

Things he said that have contradicted with things I read. he said he has never seen anyone ever done this swap by themselves. The only successful swaps he seen was from spracing that is located in southern california. Also i read that the rear end of the SC300 could be custom mated to the 6speed involving some customization. He suggested that I get a supra rear end rather.
Looking at it like this I guess it would be hard to do it by yourself.

Also he told me to expect a 2 and a half month wait time while they do the swap.... (That so sucks!)

Option C.

Bolt on turbo kit. Basically told me that my internals would not take enough power to reach my goal. He suggested that this option its good If I had a low mileage engine and I wanted 400 hp or less.
He told me the highest power that he has ever seen out of my engine was 630 rwhp.

Kinda goes against what I read which is 1000 hp. But eh I can't believe everything I read... But in that case i must research everything they tell me as well.

I better ask the lexus guys.

Sites he gave me.

Store that he owns

www.apexisupra.com

Sites he told me to check out

www.mkiv.com (done that)
www.powerhouseracing.com
and
www.sppower.com
or was it www.spengineering.com?

My plan, is reasearch all 3 routes budget them, and see which one gives the best results and at what costs.
Old 09-19-03 | 06:55 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Tell him to open his eyes, there are plenty of 2jz-gtes in sc300s.
Old 09-19-03 | 07:00 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

I like to be as non confrotational as possible. that way i get every input possible and filter somethings in and somethings out as i learn more about my options.

Perhaps some one that has done the swap could really really tell me where he is right and where he is wrong.

The most bugging question that is in my mind is when he told me that my rear end that is in the sc300 would not take the power. Did the 2jz-gte guys did you keep your stock rear ends or did you swap em?
Old 09-19-03 | 07:06 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

do a search for philauldridge, plenty of info will come up
Old 09-19-03 | 07:54 PM
bambooluv
Rookie

The factory internals cant take it? From what ive read the factory pistons and rods are the same except for the head gasket which raises the compression. If your worried about that just drop in a new gte short block from toyota for 2100. into the car, bolts right up. good luck.-pdang
Old 09-19-03 | 08:16 PM
Angel
Lead Lap

Highest HP from a stock GE block that I have heard of is DaveH - 602rwhp.
Old 09-19-03 | 08:49 PM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I guess a black hole of facts must exist in my garage because i am doing the 2jz swap myself right now. The price seems to be about right (for having a shop do it) at about $15k for the entire swap, engine, trans, ecu, lsd. I'm doing the swap in my garage and its ended up costing me about $8500/min in parts. Thats NOT including the aftermarket parts i've added.

Ask them more about the 1jz swap, that seems like a good option if they can do it. There are obvious advantages and disadvantes to both engines, which i you can search for, but i think a 1jz swap would be very cool.

Turbo kits are nice, but a full swap is the way to go imho if your gonna spend the cash anyways.
Old 09-19-03 | 09:29 PM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

That is one thing that I am fearing, how in the heck would I swap a rear end by myself.... sigh***
Old 09-19-03 | 11:11 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

venus autosport sells 1jz front clips for $1500 with an auto and like $2k for the MKIII 1jz clip with a 5-speed (which will also work)... $3k is a rip man unless its like the diff, driveshaft, etc
Old 09-19-03 | 11:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally posted by Angel
Highest HP from a stock GE block that I have heard of is DaveH - 602rwhp.
ethan banks, over 1000rwhp

stock block, just aftermarket pistons/rods, etc

Last edited by Bean; 09-19-03 at 11:12 PM.
Old 09-20-03 | 01:10 AM
Inabj2
Lexus Champion

Oh his front clip even included the dashboard and right hand steering wheel form the soarer things that Im not that interested in.

I wanna start in december. I really don't want the car to be stting still for 2 months and a half, I was reading on phils web that its possible to do the 2jz swap in 1 months time. But then again his time doesnt include the rear end change does it?

I find that so confusing how does a shop take 2 months and a half time, and phil claims that it can be done in one month.

And I yet still need to figure out how am I going to change the rear end if I go via the 6 speed route.

Heh, Kwan sp? told me that the highest output he has seen from an NA supra was 630 rwhp. With 25k in parts. Maybe he was refferring to one he has personally ever seen.

Like I said somethings I need to filter out and some things I need to take into consideration....

now that rear end....
Old 09-20-03 | 05:54 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

people claiming this or that about the NA block really dont know all that much you can make a buttload of a power on either block; and the only real diff between the two is the pistons (Far as short block goes anyway)

but if a shop takes 2.5 months to do a swap they dont know what they're doing

my friend did his SR20 swap himself in under a month and he works full time
Old 09-20-03 | 06:16 AM
Coolstr85
Rookie

ok. heres the deal with shops, they arent working on ur car 24/7 like people that want to get it done do. if you do it yourself your gonna work long hours and work fast because u want it done, shops are gonna take much longer cause they have no gains out of getting it done, if they get it done today or tommorow it doesnt really matter, they still get paid. Plus ur car most likely isnt the only one in the shop, they have to switch around between cars. A guy in my car club formerly had a 240SX. we removed the stock engine, replaced it with an SR20DET, all in less than 7 days. the thing is, we started working on it every morning around 8, and usually found ourselves done with the days work at 4:00 in the morning sitting at waffle house. if the shop worked like we did, they could have it done way faster than even a month, but the point is is that they dont work like that.
Old 09-20-03 | 06:36 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

Originally posted by Coolstr85
ok. heres the deal with shops, they arent working on ur car 24/7 like people that want to get it done do. if you do it yourself your gonna work long hours and work fast because u want it done, shops are gonna take much longer cause they have no gains out of getting it done, if they get it done today or tommorow it doesnt really matter, they still get paid. Plus ur car most likely isnt the only one in the shop, they have to switch around between cars. A guy in my car club formerly had a 240SX. we removed the stock engine, replaced it with an SR20DET, all in less than 7 days. the thing is, we started working on it every morning around 8, and usually found ourselves done with the days work at 4:00 in the morning sitting at waffle house. if the shop worked like we did, they could have it done way faster than even a month, but the point is is that they dont work like that.
well 2 months is a LOOONG time

my 300zxTT block had been taken out, stripped, cleaned, waiting for parts to come in, etc, etc... and it took 1.5 months and this was a busy shop....

but yeah best advice is to get a couple friends and DIY
Old 09-20-03 | 07:34 AM
Angel
Lead Lap

When I say stock block, I am including the rods/pistons as being stock. I believe that is a pretty universal way of thinking. Therefore, EBanks did not make 1000hp on a stock block. Maybe I should start saying stock bottom end.

Because there is no way I am telling people that I make 500 HP on a stock motor, or stock internals. My motor is no longer stock because of the headgasket, and that also removes me from stock internals category. I do, however, make 500hp on the stock block (stock bottom end).

Last edited by Angel; 09-20-03 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: So I went to my local supra shop.....