Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Grannas Racing Power Steering Delete

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-21, 08:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I have heard this discussion before but I prefer to stick with the ATF. I figure the ATF has detergents in it, and toyota has used it across all their vehicles for a long time.
The T56 takes ATF and auto transmissions see harsh conditions and take ATF, so I figure maybe there is more to it with seals in the system vs the potential for the fluid to boil over.
A simple cooler can fix the boilover issue, the stock cooler isn't much of a cooler really but still works unless you are tracking it.
If you are experiencing lots of foam, you might have a small leak somewhere or air is getting in the system, and its easy to tell by looking at your fluid if you have an issue or not when you look in the reservoir.
Old 03-24-21, 10:50 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Received 327 Likes on 253 Posts

Ali,
Let me go back and try and explain myself. I am 82 and still a real car enthusiast ( I will not tell you how many cars I have because you would not believe me) but to say that to say this I will never drive on a track again so I could care less about the Toyota power steering fluid foaming and by the way that is what I have in my transmission. I had just thrown that out in the conversation the other day, did not know if it would help someone make a decision. Anyway my friend knew I had bought an SC300 with 170+ miles and he was just looking out for me when I jokingly told him how much I loved the car and wanted to be buried in it. I am sure that Honda formulates their power steering fluid with detergents also and since this dealership has been using the Honda fluid for quite some time to take out the groans etc. and other noises I am all in and will install in my car to make sure I never
have that problem. Another thought is if the Honda fluid is a higher viscosity then it seems they would be less likely to leak.
Please pull my comment if you think it best for the club members, I am too old for someone to hurt my feelings.
Ali, thank you for taking time to read this note.
Old 03-24-21, 12:24 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Did not intend to hurt any feelings, all of the fluids discussed in here will get the job done.
I have heard that about the Honda fluid and would probably try it but I have not had a problem with the ATF.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (03-25-21)
Old 03-24-21, 01:01 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Ali,
I am so sorry if you took it that way. I am too old to hurt anybody's feelings on purpose or to be hurt by anyone else. I was just trying to apologize for stating something that would cause friction with members in our group. I love this group as much as I do my SC. I look for new postings quite often during the day and enjoy your answers on turbo installations which I have learned enough to fill a book, even though I love the engineering aspect I am still a little hazy on some of the electrical issues. I know that I never will have a turbo ( don't need that much HP ), with my interest in engineering I have an unbelievable quest for more knowledge. I have at least 600 books on cars, motorcycles, and airplanes- yes I flew a company plane at one time.
To brag on our club a little more, Our club is so far ahead of the BMW group with what we have and it works so well.
ONCE AGAIN I AM SO SORRY. And keep up the great work that everyone appreciates so much.
RudysSC (03-25-21)
Old 03-24-21, 01:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Don't worry about me, I am also on here for a good read and to learn. Your input is welcome and appreciated, no need to apologize.
I would love to fly a plane, but I have been told I have a lead foot so I stay away from those and motorcycles as much as possible.
RudysSC (03-25-21)
Old 03-24-21, 01:52 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Ali,
THANKS
Old 06-26-21, 04:32 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Installed the Grannas MKIV steering rack today. It’s a night and day difference vs my looped stock rack. Weight loss and cleaner engine bay too. 👍🏼

…………
1997Soarer (06-28-21)
Old 06-28-21, 03:38 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

^ this is awesome to see. There have been rumors for a while that Supra and SC racks were interchangeable but as far as I knew, no one had attempted to try that theory out. You putting the Grannas manual rack into your SC proves not only is that true, but the manual Grannas rack fits as well
Old 06-28-21, 03:39 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I saw your post on FB and I admit I was thrilled to finally see someone attempt it. Props to you. You're going to have to post up a review / separate post on here so that this info becomes google searchable.
Rcreegan (06-28-21)
Old 06-29-21, 10:47 AM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
I saw your post on FB and I admit I was thrilled to finally see someone attempt it. Props to you. You're going to have to post up a review / separate post on here so that this info becomes google searchable.
Theres a really good review on YouTube. It’s for a Supra, but I think it still applies to the SC.
The vid also explains how to retain your AC. Just remember the SCs rack is thicker, so you would have to purchase a new steering rack bushing (passenger side) for an MKIV Supra.
Old 06-29-21, 12:48 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

How's the steering feel? I can't imagine driving my SC with no power steering at slow speeds as it's so tough to turn the wheel with that big heavy car, wide tires, heavy motor, etc etc. If the steering effort isn't awful I could see this as an awesome mod for those of us who like to track these land yachts.
Bimmerbill (06-30-21)
Old 06-30-21, 07:56 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

many years ago, I cut out the power steering belt on my Maxima before going turbo. The power increase felt significant and I loved it. However, putting my weight into the steering wheel took some getting used to lol After a couple of days, it wasn't too bad. My forearms and "lats" definitely got bigger with time HAHAHA Once I turbo-ed the car, I put the power steering belt back on.

I'm excited to hear your feedback on the manual rack. What's the ratio on that?
Old 06-30-21, 02:05 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by madmax98
many years ago, i cut out the power steering belt on my maxima before going turbo. The power increase felt significant and i loved it. However, putting my weight into the steering wheel took some getting used to lol after a couple of days, it wasn't too bad. My forearms and "lats" definitely got bigger with time hahaha once i turbo-ed the car, i put the power steering belt back on.

I'm excited to hear your feedback on the manual rack. What's the ratio on that?
20:1
——————-
Old 06-30-21, 02:12 PM
joe diego
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RudysSC
How's the steering feel? I can't imagine driving my SC with no power steering at slow speeds as it's so tough to turn the wheel with that big heavy car, wide tires, heavy motor, etc etc. If the steering effort isn't awful I could see this as an awesome mod for those of us who like to track these land yachts.
Steering ain’t that bad at low speeds, but it’s great above 20 mph. Feel connected when driving at higher speeds. Kinda startled me at first, like I was gonna lose control. Again, at a dead stop it kinda sucks.

Maybe i can contribute the feel to the weight reduction I’ve done. Battery location to the trunk, power steering pump, pulley, reservoir, fluid delete, and ABS delete. The Grannas rack is a lot lighter as well. The stock rack is heavy af. I also put the front stock wheels on with 215 tires.
Old 06-30-21, 03:13 PM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Joe,
Can you please explain the 20:1 ratio on the new rack. On my BMW e30 I installed a later '95 e36 M3 rack (one year only) and went from 4.0 turns lock to lock to 3.0 lock to lock. I was wondering how my 3.0 ratio compares to the 20:1. It really made a difference in quicker steering and I understand the younger guys are going to the Z3 which is even quicker.
My big mistake was when I took off the power steering. It was a bear around town and I replaced my smaller than stock steering wheel with the original one for more leverage. If I ever get back to driving the car again I do have serious thoughts about installing the power steering. I did not mention that I stayed with the 215/50 x15 tires that I had run for a long time.
Earlier Roger had mentioned that they took the P/S off his race car but put back on to make it easier to drive.
By all means I am not trying to rain on your parade, just trying to learn.

Quick Reply: Grannas Racing Power Steering Delete