Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Disappointed by my TC

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-03, 11:09 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Disappointed by my TC

What’s up guys?
I recently bought a 2800 stall TC and I just got it installed a few days ago. I don’t know why but it was not at all what I expected. I don't know if I was expecting too much from the TC or if mine might not be working so well. The car still seems to have the lag it had in the 1000-2500rmp range, can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong or what I can do to make this better in anyway.

Thanks

Tommy
Old 09-23-03, 05:24 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Was it a cheap re-man, or a PI Dragon?

The re-mans are just stock units w/ a higher stall.
Old 09-23-03, 05:45 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever driven a car with a high stall before? (I don't mean to accuse you of anything, I'm just saying do you know what to expect)... torque multiplication below the stall is not all it's cracked up to be! I'd just be looking at stalling it up off the line and getting better launches.. I haven't driven a high stall yet where you get that "rubber band" engine revving the theory tells you about.
Old 09-23-03, 05:50 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fred Smith
torque multiplication below the stall is not all it's cracked up to be!

Old 09-23-03, 05:35 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Keith13b Yea its a rebuilt TC,

Fred, no I have never driven a car with a TC so I really dont kno what to expect, so that might be it

Tommy
Old 09-23-03, 08:55 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Where did you get it from?
Old 09-24-03, 05:33 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Ever driven a car with a high stall before? (I don't mean to accuse you of anything, I'm just saying do you know what to expect)...
Yes, I have a 3200-3500 PI TC in my car as we speak. The improvement is beyond noticible. Like the car is a whole new car! Best bang for the buck IMHO.

torque multiplication below the stall is not all it's cracked up to be!
To quote Lex->

You get what you pay for; not to sound negative. Send the unit back and have it re-worked.
Old 09-24-03, 06:44 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Hey Lex,

If you got it from me, i would be happy to refund you 100% money with less the shipping. All of our TC are rebuild with new internal parts. Stall speed was 2800 rpm. However, changing TC would not give you any more power, but the luanch would be little harder. How hard is difficult especially with high expectation. Most people think with TC change would felt like a supercharger or turbo was installed.

Since my car had over 170,000 miles and the TC was slipping. This was the best thing i have done and saved some money too. Its hard to compare two TC side by side. The good old Procharger Vs. Vortech has been for years and we still dont know which is better. Two many variables for actual test..... If you would like to have a higher stall speed, we can make it for you too.
Old 09-24-03, 06:48 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Default Re: Disappointed by my TC

Originally posted by lexiss_sc400
The car still seems to have the lag it had in the 1000-2500rmp range, can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong or what I can do to make this better in anyway.
Tommy,

If the TC was built right, you should not be in the 1000-2500 rpm range when launching. The engine should rev up to ~2800 rpm instantly. The fact that the TC is allowing the car to operate at that low of an rpm under load, is an indication that the re-man was not performed right; for what ever reason.

At a stand still, hammer the gas. Does the rpm's spike instantly into the 2800-3200 rpm range. Do your tires go into an uncontrolable smoking frenzie (kinda joking, but kinda serious too)? If not, then theres something wrong. It sounds to me that the TC is faulty and should be returned/replaced. Send it back....I know the removal and reinstallatiuon is a ******, but get it done right. I'd return the unit and buy a high performance unit if you ask me. I know there are several out there, but the PI unit has done wonders for me. Just my .02 cents.

Good luck, and sorry to hear about your problems.
Old 09-24-03, 09:07 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

OK... I guess some people have different experiences.. I drove a friend's car with a 3800 stall on it, before and after. Before was like 2000 or something. He paid about the equivalent of 600 US dollars for it, and they claimed the car would do the old 95% efficient torque multiplier and he would see his 0-60 go from high 5s down to 4 flat. Yeah, it took off faster - like a manual letting the clutch out from 3800 instead of 2000. But the TC would absorb heaps of power and his 0-60 only went to low 5s. I felt the "torque multiplication" was overrated. The TC would get pretty hot. I know the theory - if the pump is turning at twice the speed of the turbine, the torque is doubled.

It just didn't seem like that to me. Harder launching yes... twice as much torque.. no. He sent it to another place who tore it down and did some crap to it and put it back together and it ran exactly the same. Maybe it was the car.. maybe it was both shops did crap jobs... maybe we just expected too much.
Old 09-24-03, 11:37 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Whats up guys,
I just went out side and tested it again and when I gas break the car only goes up to 1800rpm and just sits there, and when I just stomp it the car moves when the RPM's hit 1900, So I am beginning to think that maybe I got a OG one by accident. I really don't think I was expecting too much from the TC I am just not seeing any difference in it. I would opt to remove and replace the TC but I have no more cash what so ever, I just paid 250 to get it installed and today I had to pay off the rest of my tuition which cost me another 400, So I have no more money to spend on removing and replacing the TC so I think Ill just have to deal with it 4 a little while until I get some cash

Lextreme: I would be more than happy to meet you somewhere and let you drive the car and see what I mean, maybe we can talk about it and come to a resolve

Thanks

Tommy
Old 09-25-03, 12:11 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Tom,

If my product is bad, i will pay for the labor cost and exchange you with another TC. I want to make my customer happy with my product. I stand behind on all of my products and i have a good track record for that. I am in S. Cal.. where r u?
Old 09-25-03, 12:16 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I live in Northridge right by CSUN, but I will be willing to drive down and meet you somewhere, but thanks a lot of being so understanding about this whole thing, I really appreciate it

Tommy
Old 10-20-03, 07:20 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Well guys I meet up with David (LEXTREME), and he had his mechanic swap out the 2800 stall TC I had in there and replace it with a new 2800 stall TC, I appreciate all of David’s help because he paid for all the R & R of the TC. But I don’t know why but my car is running exactly the same as before. I had my spark plugs, timing belts and everything replaced only a few months ago. I am completely stumped on what could be going wrong, but something I did the other day kind of helped. I disconnected my MAF and ran my car and my car ran perfectly and even faster that ever before, the only problem was that the check engine light came on but other than that my car was actually performing like how I expected it to. Anyway I just wanted to ask you guys what you guys think is wrong or could be going wrong.

Oh yea how bad is it excatly to run with my MAF disconnected, I heard that my car would just be running lean. But would it mess up any part of my engine or cause the engine to fail.

Thanks

Tommy
Old 10-20-03, 07:33 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you let Lextreme or his mechanic drive the car after the install? The difference is very noticeable by most but maybe your standards and sensitivity is different than the rest of us.

Quick Reply: Disappointed by my TC