Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

6spd drive shaft question

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-03, 08:25 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

O.k. guys... Got the rear section back from Toyomoto today. Looks just like oem but longer.

-scott
Old 10-01-03, 09:10 PM
BoostAdict
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long is the turnover for the driveshaft? Is there anyone else besides Toyomoto? I'm looking for someone around the West Coast.
Old 10-02-03, 05:29 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

I tried taking it to a reputable 4x4 shop to get an estimate, and they wouldn't touch it. Lance pretty much guarantees the shaft will hold up to just about anything. He uses the same materials that went into a custom DS on a Camero running high 6s in the quarter mile. That's piece of mind enough for me.

-scott
Old 10-02-03, 07:25 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

So it was about $350? I am only about 2 hours away from toyomoto. I might just have mine done there.
Old 10-05-03, 01:50 AM
RenovaJz30
Driver School Candidate

I have a question, do you need to modify the tranning tunnel to swap 6spd? where needs to modify?

thank you
Old 10-05-03, 07:05 AM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally posted by RenovaJz30
I have a question, do you need to modify the tranning tunnel to swap 6spd? where needs to modify?
thank you
The 6-speed goes right into the '95 5-speed without modifiying anything. I sold a 5-speed tranny (w-58) to a '92 owner, and he had to cut the shifter opening back to accomodate the w-58 tranny. Apparently, the '92s use a different shift lever retainer that *angles* the shifter. The angled shifter moves the shifter opening forward in the tranny tunnel. However, that's all he had to do; modification to tunnel to accomodate the bell housing and gear box wasn't required.

Since that w-58 was in my car, I assume that a 6-speed install would require the same mod for at least the '92 and possibly other model years that have a different shift-lever retainer mechanism.
-scott

Last edited by motorheaddown; 10-05-03 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 07:00 PM
quikturbo
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott, have you got your 2 piece drive shaft in yet? Just wanted to check up and see. I'm still waiting for mine from Toyomoto I called, left messages, and even talked to lance. He said it's finished and he has it, just needs to fax me the form for my billing and shipping address. I have yet to see the fax, after talking twice to him now and making sure he has my correct fax number. Left another message today.

As for the axle lengths for the driver side of the sc300. The supra axle is in fact a tad bit shorter. Here are two pics that you may be able to see the difference in lengths.

By the way, I got the 6spd diff in tonight with ease

edit: supra axle on the left side of the pic

Last edited by quikturbo; 11-21-03 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 09:18 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Chris,

If the weather sucks Saturday or Sunday, I'll install the driveline, LSD, and midpipe; otherwise, I'll be jumping out of an airplane (motor)headdown all weekend.

I've had the new DS for a while but was unmotivated to install it after I thought the motor was toast. Turns out the motor is o.k.; so I'll be working some more on the car. I really need to swap out the plugs with something colder and finish the methanol injection installation.

If I get to the DS, I'll let you know how it works. (Just hope I don't have to balance another one)

-scott
Old 10-13-06, 10:57 AM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Are the 3 bolt patterns on both the 6spd and TT/NA pumpkin flanges the same pattern and measurements? I have a custom driveshaft adapter that bolts up to my 3 bolt flange sc300 auto pumpkin, wanted to make sure it will work some day on the 6spd pumpkin flange
Old 10-13-06, 01:23 PM
motorheaddown
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by zegnaguy
Are the 3 bolt patterns on both the 6spd and TT/NA pumpkin flanges the same pattern and measurements? I have a custom driveshaft adapter that bolts up to my 3 bolt flange sc300 auto pumpkin, wanted to make sure it will work some day on the 6spd pumpkin flange
Wow... old thread but still relevant.

I'm almost positive the 3-bolt patterns to the companion flange are different between the auto-anything (NA or TT) pumpkin and the 6-speed pumpkin.

-scott

P.S. Damn, that was a post from over three years ago... I can't believe I'm still working on the car.
Old 10-13-06, 02:00 PM
philauldridge
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that the driveshaft has to be SHORTENED, not lengthened.. the Getrag is a shorter tranny than the original SC300 5-speed.. Possibly that is different with an auto trans. Most every source I have referenced will tell you that the Supra differential needs to used, otherwise the final gearing is not going to be acceptable. Hope this helps!
Old 10-13-06, 02:11 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Default What are you using as driveshaft

Originally Posted by motorheaddown
Wow... old thread but still relevant.

I'm almost positive the 3-bolt patterns to the companion flange are different between the auto-anything (NA or TT) pumpkin and the 6-speed pumpkin.

-scott

P.S. Damn, that was a post from over three years ago... I can't believe I'm still working on the car.

If they're different then I'll have to deal with that adapter later.

What are you using for driveshaft & adapter with your 6spd? I'm using solid driveline with custom adpter to 3 bolt companion flange.