Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Kazama Auto coilpacks for 1JZ 2JZ VVTI motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 09:02 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Kazama Auto coilpacks for 1JZ 2JZ VVTI motors

I noticed a few years ago that there is a serious lack of an aftermarket for Toyota coilpacks (part # 90919-02216) found in the 98-00 SC300, the 98-05 GS300, and the 01-05 IS300. They're also found on the VVTI GTE motors.
I googled around and checked places like ebay and amazon just to see what other options are out there. Even checked my.IS to see what people had tried.

The only aftermarket I could find that were performance oriented were Yellow Jackets out of Australia. And when I researched those, the few reviews I could find for their 2JZ-GTE, 2JZ-GE, 1JZ-GTE VVTI coilpacks were... not good. Bad enough that people returned them.
I found no good reviews of stock replacements either. It seems everyone just goes with brand new Toyota units. I can kinda confirm this part because we would ship about a set a month out of Elmhurst Toyota off the parts website.

With stock units, the only way to get a hotter more powerful spark is to run a HKS DLI, an Okada Projects Booster, or use the Cusco ignition amplifier. If you're not familiar with the last 2, they are ignition amplifiers that work on the same principle as the now discontinued HKS DLI.
I guess with such a limited aftermarket, that's why so many people upgrade to a COP setup when they go standalone.

At SEMA 2019 Kazama Auto released their performance coilpacks for the xJZ VVTI motors. 2JZ-GE, 2JZ-GTE, and 1JZ-GTE.
This is their Toyota Ignition Coil page. They are at the bottom. Kazama Auto part # 01802111
Translated, it says they are 10% upgrade over stock voltage Toyota

https://www.kazamaauto.co.jp/product...2%a4%e3%83%ab/

I was in the market for new coilpacks for my IS300 anyway due age - 110k miles - and because of an intermittent misfire I got earlier in 2019 (it was arcing on really humid summer mornings that only happened at cold idle - it would decrease and go away completely as the motor warmed up). Removing the coilpack and cleaning it made the arcing stop, but I knew it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen again. Just in case you don't know, its really common for coilpacks & COPs to start failing once they pass 120k.

6 months pass and I'm bored, unemployed, and have a lot of time on my hands so I decided to see if there were any good reviews about these, and it turns out, there were on the Kazama FB page!
So I ordered these up via RHDJapan.
I didn't order anything else, so all things considered, 24hour air shipping from Japan for DHL for $25 was a steal. These were in my hand 7 days after I ordered them.

Install is exactly as stock. They are a direct OEM replacement. I paired them with brand new Denso IK16 plugs. The plugs I removed had about 19k on them, but it says specifically with the instructions to use new spark plugs at install.

I noticed it takes less cranks to start. And has a strong feel right off the back. I haven't been able to drive the car more than 40 miles so far but that's because I was dealing with a bunch of defective O2 sensors in a row.

If anything bad happens, I'll post a reply. And I'll do an update once I can finally get all these O2 sensor issues behind me.

Here's some pics, and at the bottom is a link to my flickr to the IS300 install.

Interesting attention to detail. The stock coilpack leads are a silver metal and these appear to be brass

The install on flickr

Feel free to creep my flickr. I have almost everything I've done to my SC since 2012 on there as well as my IS300

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 04-08-21 at 11:35 AM. Reason: fixed Flickr link. Flickr doesn't allow links to albums
Old 04-07-21, 09:07 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 118 Posts

Worth mentioning, when the B1S1 O2 sensor was dying, it would read 0v which would cause the engine to add fuel to the point that the car would misfire on cylinders 1-3. And it would throw a misfire code along with the O2 codes. After installing the coilpacks, the O2 sensor died completely but the engine never misfired. I would get the codes for a dead sensor, but no misfire codes and the engine wouldn't bog and miss like it did before. So... it appears they do work as advertised so far. My OBD2 scanner indicates the motor is adding more fuel but the spark is hot enough to ignite combustion