Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing belt on '96

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-21, 04:20 PM
Super7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt on '96

My 1996 SC400 has 150,000 miles and the timing belt was last replaced before sometime before I bought the car 10 years ago, at about 70,000 miles.

The car continues to run great - no issues. It has been extremely reliable. The only repairs I've had to do are replace the power steering pump and the alternator that gets ruined by the leaky steering pump. That's it. Other than regular oil changes, one new battery and a set of tires, this car has continued to run reliably. It's now 25 years old but seeing how reliable it has been I'm disposed to spend the $$ to replace the timing belt in hopes I can keep it running another five years or longer.

To my questions:
  1. Is this engine an "interference" engine? If I suffer the bad luck of the timing belt breaking before I get it replaced, will this lunch the engine?
  2. When I do the timing belt, what else is prudent to replace at the same time? I hear it's recommended to replace the water pump, idler pulleys, etc. All this stuff comes in a kit with the timing belt, correct? But what about other things like the starter?
  3. Is this a job that any competent mechanic can do? Or is it something that should be done by a Lexus dealer/mechanic?
  4. Which timing belt kits are best? Which should be avoided? Is the GATES brand good? Or should I seek genuine Lexus parts?
  5. The engine valve covers are leaking so I'd have these replaced at the same time. Any 'gotchas' in doing that?
Thanks for sharing your experience and advice with me.

Alex

Old 05-07-21, 07:53 PM
Slackful
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Super7
My 1996 SC400 has 150,000 miles and the timing belt was last replaced before sometime before I bought the car 10 years ago, at about 70,000 miles.

The car continues to run great - no issues. It has been extremely reliable. The only repairs I've had to do are replace the power steering pump and the alternator that gets ruined by the leaky steering pump. That's it. Other than regular oil changes, one new battery and a set of tires, this car has continued to run reliably. It's now 25 years old but seeing how reliable it has been I'm disposed to spend the $$ to replace the timing belt in hopes I can keep it running another five years or longer.

To my questions:
  1. Is this engine an "interference" engine? If I suffer the bad luck of the timing belt breaking before I get it replaced, will this lunch the engine?
  2. When I do the timing belt, what else is prudent to replace at the same time? I hear it's recommended to replace the water pump, idler pulleys, etc. All this stuff comes in a kit with the timing belt, correct? But what about other things like the starter?
  3. Is this a job that any competent mechanic can do? Or is it something that should be done by a Lexus dealer/mechanic?
  4. Which timing belt kits are best? Which should be avoided? Is the GATES brand good? Or should I seek genuine Lexus parts?
  5. The engine valve covers are leaking so I'd have these replaced at the same time. Any 'gotchas' in doing that?
Thanks for sharing your experience and advice with me.

Alex
Aisin timing belt kit does wonders. Had it installed by a (reputable) JDM performance shop, 600 bucks I believe. Valve covers is a good DIY, not too complex. Belt done around 106k, cruising close to 130k with no issues! That's all I know.

Old 05-07-21, 10:00 PM
joewitafro
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 189 Posts

90-94, 10.0-1 compression, non-interference.
95-97, 10.4-1 compression, interference.
98-00, 10.5-1 compression, interference.

Your motor is interference. You should replace the timing belt with an OEM toyota or gates before it breaks. I recommend changing the pulleys, tensioner, water pump and thermostat when doing the job; I wouldn't get a kit unless it included AISIN/toyota/Koyo/japanese parts only.

I think anyone who truly is a competent mechanic could do this job, but it would sure make it better if they were a japanese brands mechanic or someone who has worked on toyota motors before. As I said before, I do like gates' products. and I don't have any advice for the valve covers other than dont overtighten the new ones; make sure you clean all the surfaces well and if there are rubber crush washers (my 2jz has them); make sure to replace with new.
The following users liked this post:
Super7 (05-17-21)
Old 05-11-21, 04:42 PM
Super7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys for the info.

Joewitafro - where did you get the interference engine info? I ask because the info on the web on this issue is inconsistent, with some saying the '96 has a non-interference engine.

Anyhow, once I do the timing belt I can stop worrying about whether my engine will blow up if the belt breaks!

One mechanic quoted me $1,300 to replace the belt using the AISIN kit. I know that's more than double what Slackful said he paid ($600) but I am in Canada, and everything automotive related is more expensive here. Plus our dollar is only worth $0.75 US.

Would you advise replacing the starter when the timing belt is done? Just asking as this part is buried in the engine valley and mine has the original 25 year old part.

Cheers,
Alex

Old 05-14-21, 08:37 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Your 96 SC400 is non-VVT-i so it is 100% NOT an interference motor. 98-00 are the only interference SC400's. However, it isn't a bad idea to change the timing bet anyways. If your starter is working fine, I would leave it.
Old 05-14-21, 08:49 AM
Bylan
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Wrong. This info is available all over the internet, and @joewitafro got it exactly right. 90-94 1UZ's are the only Non-Interference 1UZ's. Lower compression, thicker connecting rods. This includes SC400's and LS400's, exact same engine. All 1UZ's 95-after are interference, with progressively higher compression, thinner rods, and eventually VVTi (98).
@Super7 You should absolutely get that timing belt replaced. Only use Aisin parts, get a new OEM timing belt tensioner, and I would highly consider replacing the Crankshaft seal (behind harmonic balancer) as well as the Camshaft seals. Easy to do, cheap parts, only time you will have access to them. Dealership will be expensive, if using an indie shop find one that specializes in Japanese cars. Not a complicated job, but its not a Chevy 350.
The following users liked this post:
Super7 (05-17-21)
Old 05-14-21, 09:10 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Bylan
Wrong. This info is available all over the internet, and @joewitafro got it exactly right. 90-94 1UZ's are the only Non-Interference 1UZ's. Lower compression, thicker connecting rods. This includes SC400's and LS400's, exact same engine. All 1UZ's 95-after are interference, with progressively higher compression, thinner rods, and eventually VVTi (98).
@Super7 You should absolutely get that timing belt replaced. Only use Aisin parts, get a new OEM timing belt tensioner, and I would highly consider replacing the Crankshaft seal (behind harmonic balancer) as well as the Camshaft seals. Easy to do, cheap parts, only time you will have access to them. Dealership will be expensive, if using an indie shop find one that specializes in Japanese cars. Not a complicated job, but its not a Chevy 350.
I stand corrected, you are right. I guess the only variation in 95 and up 1UZ’s wasn’t just 10 HP . OP definitely replace the belt