Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single Turbo SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-03, 03:24 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you read the rest of the threads, you'll see he is using an Autronic, and FYI MoTeC is spelled without the H. What do you find funny? All that's there is a plumbed turbo with an intercooler. Where would you suggest putting the turbo for shorter pipe lengths?

If you guys keep this up, this thread will be closed.
Please see the comments above and lets keep it civil please.
You both have PM.

Last edited by legendary; 09-28-03 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-28-03, 08:06 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a neat project, one that I had also researched and contemplated. But I came to the realization that the benefits of moving to the 1uz (pretty much just the extra liter) was far outweighed by the downsides, being cost and functionability. While it's possible to make everything fit, the labrynth of piping, fastners, and brackets would make turning a wrench a task more appropriate for a contortionist rather than a mechanic. Now you could start removing A/C, power steering, etc, but then you are just building a race car, which is not my cup of tea for such a platform as the SC.

From the pics, I already see possible clearance problems with the dowpipe and a fan/radiator setup. The compressor housing will obviously have to be clocked differnently than pointing directly into the frame rail unless there is just enough room, for a 90 toward the engine, then another 90 down, etc or he is just going to cut a hole in the frame rail, which is not something I'd wanna do or Clock it 90 degrees counter-clockwise which means he would have to relocate the entire fuse box somewhere else, which is not something I'd wanna do. The "manifolds" that run beneath the subframe are going to be a clearance nightmare on the street, and ANY contact with a hot manifold and say a speedbump and that manifold will crack in a heartbeat. I'm not even getting into tranny customization and the other items associated with forced induction on a motor designed to be naturally aspirated from the factory and available aftermarket associated with that quest.

Now. I applaud this guy for attempting this feat and if/once he completes it he will have a neat unique car. But I wrote this little rant to the casual SC enthusiast who may or may not have an SC400 and contemplates the feasability of this becoming a viable course of modifictation for their street car. There will NEVER be an SC400 turbo kit that is in anyway comparble to a turbo SC300 in terms of value, performance, and functionability. If you want an SC400, and a little more power, a supercharger kit is CLEARLY the way to go. If you want a big horsepower SC, get an SC300. This in no way diminishes the incredible engineering and capabilities of the 1uz, only the cold harsh realities of trying to realize it's full potential in a street SC.
Old 09-28-03, 09:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Ahhhh, that ain't nuttin' a PLASMA torch can't cure
Old 09-29-03, 12:24 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by sc300tt
I'm not even getting into tranny customization and the other items associated with forced induction on a motor designed to be naturally aspirated from the factory
The SC3 is factory NA too....
There will NEVER be an SC400 turbo kit that is in anyway comparble to a turbo SC300 in terms of value, performance, and functionability.
Gee that's a pretty bold statement... are there any SC300 *kits* though? I thought they were all pretty much custom and run into the (at least) 10k+ range?

You never know.. someone could release a low mount TT kit or something.. would be hard to engineer, but easier to fit in.. if they can fit it on a Viper between the engine and the side sills where the exhaust goes, they can fit it on anything. Probably won't happen due to low demand though.
Old 09-29-03, 01:09 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Fred Smith
The SC3 is factory NA too....
Yes, but only because Toyota needed it to fill a marketing slot. It is a turbo motor in the sense that you can buy factory Toyota HG and Toyota pistons to allow it to accept FI easily. What factory toyota parts are available to do that to a 1uz? I wont even get into the aftermarket plethora of parts.

Gee that's a pretty bold statement... are there any SC300 *kits* though? I thought they were all pretty much custom and run into the (at least) 10k+ range?
No offense, but this just shows your knowledge on the matter. Toyomoto and Fmax have offered ~$5000 kits for the SC300 forever. Add to that places like Performance Factory, Sound Performance, Powerhouse, etc that have turbo'd numerous 2jz-ge's. A few IS300 tuners now offer manifolds that will work and Boostlogic is about to release a nice tubular manifold kit for similar ~$5000 range. Oh..cant forget Dave H!

You never know.. someone could release a low mount TT kit or something.. would be hard to engineer, but easier to fit in.. if they can fit it on a Viper between the engine and the side sills where the exhaust goes, they can fit it on anything. Probably won't happen due to low demand though.
Do you know how much a TT Viper kit costs? or a Lingenfelter TT-ZR1? Have you even been under one of these on a lift at your shop? I have. Once you do, you will realize that if they had engine option like the 2jz vs 1uz, those kits would be obsolete.

Now, I don't doubt that someone could make a kit for the 1uz, MechTech already did. But the cost will be multiple times what an SC300 kit would cost to get the same performance and will NEVER be as easy to work on. Have you ever worked on a turbo'd 2jz? Well, I have experience with both engines and let me tell you, I could R&R, disassemble, re-assemble a 2jz twice before you could do a 1uz once, and that's not even counting having a spaghetti bowl turbo kit on the 1uz. Plus, there just isnt enough room for a low mount setup to go big with turbos and external wastegates to ever make big numbers to realize the potential of the 1uz. If you dont make well over 1000rwhp with a turbo 1uz, then why bother, when you could do it simply/much more economically with a 2jz. The only reason I would do a turbo 1uz is for a race car and I wanted to make 1500-2000rwhp. I'm sorry you a finding my rationale so difficult to comprehend. As far as making "bold statements", I have been making them for a while, just mostly on the street, strip and dyno.

Last edited by sc300tt; 09-29-03 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 08:20 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I spent a long time and called in alot of contacts and favors to try to put together a turbo kit for the 1UZ, did tons of research on it. Clint is right, unless you're going for 1300+ rwhp in a race car (preferably something with a 1pc front end you can pop off with Dzus fasteners )....it's just not worth it...too easy to make big power with a 2JZ....too easy to work on them....too much aftermarket support for the six.

...he said spaghetti bowl....

- Jon
Old 09-29-03, 09:38 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Never say never......
Old 09-29-03, 09:44 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by sc300tt
Yes, but only because Toyota needed it to fill a marketing slot. It is a turbo motor in the sense that you can buy factory Toyota HG and Toyota pistons to allow it to accept FI easily. What factory toyota parts are available to do that to a 1uz? I wont even get into the aftermarket plethora of parts.
Didn't the 2JZGE exist a couple of years before the GTE? Also, you can buy a supercharger kit straight from Toyota for the UZ, if I wanted to split hairs.
No offense, but this just shows your knowledge on the matter. Toyomoto and Fmax have offered ~$5000 kits for the SC300 forever. Add to that places like Performance Factory, Sound Performance, Powerhouse, etc that have turbo'd numerous 2jz-ge's. A few IS300 tuners now offer manifolds that will work and Boostlogic is about to release a nice tubular manifold kit for similar ~$5000 range. Oh..cant forget Dave H!
I was aware of the Fmax, but I thought it had been dropped? Unfortunately as I'm all the way over in Australia, I don't get to know all of your local tuners..
Do you know how much a TT Viper kit costs?
Yes, about 20-25 grand INSTALLED.
Now, I don't doubt that someone could make a kit for the 1uz, MechTech already did. But the cost will be multiple times what an SC300 kit would cost to get the same performance and will NEVER be as easy to work on. Have you ever worked on a turbo'd 2jz? Well, I have experience with both engines and let me tell you, I could R&R, disassemble, re-assemble a 2jz twice before you could do a 1uz once, and that's not even counting having a spaghetti bowl turbo kit on the 1uz. Plus, there just isnt enough room for a low mount setup to go big with turbos and external wastegates to ever make big numbers to realize the potential of the 1uz. If you dont make well over 1000rwhp with a turbo 1uz, then why bother, when you could do it simply/much more economically with a 2jz. The only reason I would do a turbo 1uz is for a race car and I wanted to make 1500-2000rwhp. I'm sorry you a finding my rationale so difficult to comprehend. As far as making "bold statements", I have been making them for a while, just mostly on the street, strip and dyno.
My point was, saying "never" just because it is difficult, is a pretty wild claim. There are lots of supercharged V8 mustangs.. and now there are lots of turbocharged mustangs too. Why would anyone go to the trouble of turbocharging one when supercharging is easier?? This is the point I am making... I don't think it will be done either, but it's certainly not impossible like you put it.

Aftermarket is all about doing the hard yards and building stuff where the factory said "why bother"... if everyone said "it's too easy to just buy a TT Supra" then there would be no NA-T kits.

And I can guarantee you, if Viper owners had the choice between the 488 and a smaller inline easily turbo'd engine, the 488 would have outsold the inline 50 to 1, and I guarantee you these guys would still want aftermarket FI for the 488. So no, the kits would not be obsolete.

Last edited by Fred Smith; 09-29-03 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 10:01 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

After working with the 1UZ for so long. With the powersteering relocation, its very easy to do a single turbo on the SC4. I have been thinking about using MKIII PS. Its much smaller and can easily relocated. I have been under the 1UZ many times..... i would say more than more 99% SC3 owners and more than most SC4 owners.

Single turbo kit is not that hard. No accessories lost and not clearance problem. Like I stated Never say Never....

Yes, its harder to a turbo in a V8, but not impossible. Try this www.turbomustangs.com As a site owner, i we are getting lots of Supra owners swapping out the 7M and 2J for the larger liter.
Old 09-29-03, 10:52 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Didn't the 2JZGE exist a couple of years before the GTE? Also, you can buy a supercharger kit straight from Toyota for the UZ, if I wanted to split hairs.
Yes, but you can supercharge ANY engine in the toyco lineup if you dont mind running 4-6lbs of boost. Once again, not relevant here. I agree. Supercharge if you want another couple hundred hp.

[Yes, about 20-25 grand INSTALLED.
Actually, try closer to $40k.

My point was, saying "never" just because it is difficult, is a pretty wild claim. There are lots of supercharged V8 mustangs.. and now there are lots of turbocharged mustangs too. Why would anyone go to the trouble of turbocharging one when supercharging is easier?? This is the point I am making... I don't think it will be done either, but it's certainly not impossible like you put it.
Is the SC a mustang? Does it have the same engine bay space? Did the mustang come with a slightly smaller, much more easily turbod engine capable of making gobs of HP? The majority of turbocharged mustangs are race cars. Why do they build them? Becuase they make more HP!!!! I never said it was impossible to make a kit, just impossible to make a kit that even remotely rivals the 2jz gear in terms of Value and functionability.

Aftermarket is all about doing the hard yards and building stuff where the factory said "why bother"... if everyone said "it's too easy to just buy a TT Supra" then there would be no NA-T kits.
No, the aftermarket is about making money.

And I can guarantee you, if Viper owners had the choice between the 488 and a smaller inline easily turbo'd engine, the 488 would have outsold the inline 50 to 1, and I guarantee you these guys would still want aftermarket FI for the 488. So no, the kits would not be obsolete.
First off, Viper guys often have fairly unlimited budgets and some of those guys will drop 100K to outdo the other. Second, if they had an easily turboed 400 ci Inline-8 capable of making 2000hp for $20k, I doubt many would buy the current $40k kit for an 488 that was a nightmare to work on and made 1000hp. Now, would someone buy a $100k turbo kit for the 488 that made 3000hp? I bet a few would, but then again, were really comparing apples to oranges in terms of buyers and their disposable income.

Last edited by legendary; 09-29-03 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 11:07 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Clint,

Would you mind telling us how much did it cost you to build up your SC rides? I would be interested in findiing on the price...... parts and labor. Nothing personally, just would like to know.

Last edited by Lextreme; 09-29-03 at 11:11 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 11:08 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Lextreme
After working with the 1UZ for so long. With the powersteering relocation, its very easy to do a single turbo on the SC4. I have been thinking about using MKIII PS. Its much smaller and can easily relocated. I have been under the 1UZ many times..... i would say more than more 99% SC3 owners and more than most SC4 owners.

Single turbo kit is not that hard. No accessories lost and not clearance problem. Like I stated Never say Never....

Yes, its harder to a turbo in a V8, but not impossible. Try this www.turbomustangs.com As a site owner, i we are getting lots of Supra owners swapping out the 7M and 2J for the larger liter.
NEVER. It will NEVER be as economical and functional as the 2jz turbo. NEVER. Just working on the 1uz is a pain already due to the fact that it is a wide quad-overhead cam v-8. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER. I have done a headgasket on a single turbo 2jz in a dark motel parking lot starting at midnight and finishing up in the rain by 8:30am. Imagine that with a turbod 1uz. Sure it's possible to make a turbo'd 1uz, but you arent going to be able to magically wave a wand and have more engine space.

Sorry Lextreme. If you want, let's put our money where our mouth is. Build a turbo 1uz capable of making 1000rwhp. I will bring my 97 and meet you at a dyno. After putting down 1000 rwhp, we will pull out into the parking lot then disassemble/reassemble the engines. Winner get $2000. Hell, I might even spot you 8 hours.
Old 09-29-03, 11:17 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Sorry Lextreme. If you want, let's put our money where our mouth is. Build a turbo 1uz capable of making 1000rwhp. I will bring my 97 and meet you at a dyno. After putting down 1000 rwhp, we will pull out into the parking lot then disassemble/reassemble the engines. Winner get $2000. Hell, I might even spot you 8 hours.

Clint,

what is your point. You dont make any sense.
Old 09-29-03, 11:18 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

I like to see when guys debate. You guys both seem to stick for what you believe in. We are all SC owners can't we just get along
Old 09-29-03, 11:19 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Lextreme
Clint,

Would you mind telling us how much did cost you to build up your SC rides? I would be interested in findiing on the price...... parts and labor.
My 97? Well I have never added it up, but since I bought a wrecked supra for cheap, have dealer discounts, and did all the labor myself it's probably a lot lower than what it should cost.

However. If I wanted to build a turbo SC without trying to be a uber-baller, I'd buy:

Boostlogic BL74 Turbo kit for NA - ~$4000
2jz-gte pistons and HG -$600
AEM and wideband - $2000
Built Auto and TC- $3000
Fuel System -$2000
LSD - $1000
FMIC - $1200
Gauges,etc -$500
Cams- $700
Nitrous -$500

Now obviously this could be done cheaper and I don't think I'm forgetting anything expect labor, but this would be a well done 9sec 900rwhp, daily driven SC300 for about $15000.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo SC400