Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single Turbo SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-03, 11:28 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Lextreme
Sorry Lextreme. If you want, let's put our money where our mouth is. Build a turbo 1uz capable of making 1000rwhp. I will bring my 97 and meet you at a dyno. After putting down 1000 rwhp, we will pull out into the parking lot then disassemble/reassemble the engines. Winner get $2000. Hell, I might even spot you 8 hours.

Clint,

what is your point. You dont make any sense.
David, I'm refering to the functionability of the turbo 1uz. It would be a mechanics nightmare trying to be able to get a wrench on every bolt and nut. Having to pull off tons of items to get to something minor. These are considerations that HAVE to be taken into account when doing something like this. It's the sole reason I abandoned my LT1 4runner. Would it have fit? Sure, but I would have had to pull the engine to do any work on it. What happens when a wastegate bolt backs off a twin turbo 1uz, or a knock sensor goes out, or your A/C compressor gets a leak. These things happen on street cars. This is what I am trying to drill into you guys.
Old 09-29-03, 11:31 AM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Philly#1 Lex
I like to see when guys debate. You guys both seem to stick for what you believe in. We are all SC owners can't we just get along
It's not about not getting along. It's about the cold hard truths and making sure people understand these things before they head down roads that will just wind up costing them time, money, and a lot of unneeded grief.

Last edited by sc300tt; 09-29-03 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-29-03, 12:28 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by sc300tt
David, I'm refering to the functionability of the turbo 1uz. It would be a mechanics nightmare trying to be able to get a wrench on every bolt and nut. Having to pull off tons of items to get to something minor. These are considerations that HAVE to be taken into account when doing something like this. It's the sole reason I abandoned my LT1 4runner. Would it have fit? Sure, but I would have had to pull the engine to do any work on it. What happens when a wastegate bolt backs off a twin turbo 1uz, or a knock sensor goes out, or your A/C compressor gets a leak. These things happen on street cars. This is what I am trying to drill into you guys.
Uhhhh... what's a knock sensor?

Chris
Old 09-29-03, 01:49 PM
siniquezu
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bing bing...end of round 2....
Old 09-29-03, 02:03 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Clint, i'm thinking that HG must have been on Andi's car?
I like to root for the underdog, and i'd like to see you do it Lextreme, but Clint is right as far as the serviceability of that setup, i've spent plenty of time on this. Hope you're talented, persistent, and well funded. Me, I like to lift the bonnet and see an engine, a turbo, and a radiator, not much more .

- Jon
Old 09-29-03, 03:09 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Lex and Clint,

The SC300 is so much easier and so many after market parts. However, we are not that lucky. The SC3 can buy bolt on stuffs and we have to make stuffs. The V8 FI is much harder and I have experienced that in both Twin turboing and Supercharging.

This is by no mean a flame thread. Rather, I am extremely excited to see V8 FI. I am not saying anything bad about the Inline 6, but rather the attend to the the impossible. The ease of taking the engine aparts and putting them together is not an issue here. Dont forget we have 8 pistons, 8 rods, two heads, 4 cams and so on.

I am stating the protential of the Single turbo on a V8. The 2JZ is maxing out about 1000-1100 rwhp. More than that, then the reliability is out of the window. The 1UZ have much higher potential to make much more hp than 2JZ. Yes, it will some money in doing so.
Old 09-29-03, 03:10 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Here is my supercharging project.
Attached Thumbnails Single Turbo SC400-dsc04759.jpg  
Old 09-29-03, 06:59 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I see both sides of this coin ( Clint of Austin Tx representin' & Lextreme giving me a glimpse of hope that my SC400 ain't an expensive slow pile of @#$%! that'll never see FI ). HOWEVER,... good engineering always prevails, and I think if enough redesign, which will incur costs, goes into this, a functional kit could be produced, and if the aftermarket allowed for the volume of sales, this kit wouldn't have to break the bank and them some. The only reason I bought this car was to be able to have a turbo V8 ( didn't know about CL at the time, other wise I probably would'a bought the SC3 ).

A single turbo V8 would be awesome, even if we weren't doin' the 1300hp numbers, I'm sure one would produce enough hp to smoke most vehicles out there under 600 and run respectively with the best of them. We ain't lookin' to beat up on TT SC3's,... but along the lines of Vettes, stangs, Camaro's who still believe American muscle is the only way to be fast,.. even if quality suffers. This is the battle of Japanese technology vs American modern day muscle cars... ( not friendly fire )

Old 09-29-03, 10:53 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Clint, why did Legendary have to edit your post, get a bit personal or something?

Actually, try closer to $40k.
Actually, I have my facts straight. I am talking about the 720rwhp Axis TT system by Jason Tarnutzer. Dodgy John also advertises his TT systems from $25k. Which were you talking about? I don't know of any between the 25k and 80k+ mark.. but enlighten me
The majority of turbocharged mustangs are race cars.
I don't know about that.. there are still a HELL of a lot of street turbo'd Mustangs.
First off, Viper guys often have fairly unlimited budgets and some of those guys will drop 100K to outdo the other. Second, if they had an easily turboed 400 ci Inline-8 capable of making 2000hp for $20k, I doubt many would buy the current $40k kit for an 488 that was a nightmare to work on and made 1000hp. Now, would someone buy a $100k turbo kit for the 488 that made 3000hp? I bet a few would, but then again, were really comparing apples to oranges in terms of buyers and their disposable income.
OK if we are going to compare apples to apples here, we have to at least be fair about it.
1. Where are you going to find an inline 8 capable of 2000hp for $20k? And how are you going to get it to fit under any hood? You are unfairly making your package seem more attractive. I don't see anything more than a 5 or so litre inline 6 fitting. There is already not much room with the 2 banks of small 5s in there. Let alone 8 bigger cylinders. You are also limited to single cam 2 valve, as that is what the V10 is. Otherwise it's not apples to apples, and you should ask them the question inline, or quadcam 40 valve V10? A feature of the V10 is it is low tech. The JZ and UZ are both 4 valve dohc (per bank).
2. You can get a 488 up to around the 1000hp mark for under $30k, or 750-800rwhp for around 15k.
3. You make the 2JZ alternative produce twice the power of the 1UZ alternative, which is BS. The two horsepower kings are currently the Venom truck and the Groundfighter... which make about the same? The UZ powered HKS Supra makes more than any JZ Supra I know of... maybe Titan etc are getting close?
4. Viper guys will still buy the V10. It is what makes the Viper a Viper. Go check out their attitude to the TA Viper, the new Le Mans Viper, and the Sir Hiss Viper, all running V8s. None of them want it, even though these cars do make a bit more power. If you want me to post a poll on the VCA site asking who would buy the inline turbo engine (which I believe would have to be a 6), and who would buy the V10, no problems... I guarantee the V10 would win, even to guys like treynor, who runs about the wildest most expensive SC V10 around, and is always after more power. SVSi might take an inline just for landspeed racing, IF it could make more power.

Here is a V10 being turbo'd.. doesn't look that bad to me http://www.cmperformance.com/viperproject.html I am thinking that kind of TT kit would be easiest for the 1UZ. Keep the exhaust behind the motor and you don't have as many clearance issues. There should be enough room to get the compressed charge back up to the IC at the front.

This discussion has degenerated from my point of "it is highly possible so don't discount the chances it may happen" into "the 2JZ is easier to work on". This is not my point, and I will not debate you that the 2JZ is easier to work on. Of course it is. I don't care how fast you can change your gaskets, and that's not the point at all.

Last edited by Fred Smith; 09-29-03 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 10:54 PM
racing fan
Driver

My 97? Well I have never added it up, but since I bought a wrecked supra for cheap, have dealer discounts, and did all the labor myself it's probably a lot lower than what it should cost.

However. If I wanted to build a turbo SC without trying to be a uber-baller, I'd buy:

Boostlogic BL74 Turbo kit for NA - ~$4000
2jz-gte pistons and HG -$600
AEM and wideband - $2000
Built Auto and TC- $3000
Fuel System -$2000
LSD - $1000
FMIC - $1200
Gauges,etc -$500
Cams- $700
Nitrous -$500

Now obviously this could be done cheaper and I don't think I'm forgetting anything expect labor, but this would be a well done 9sec 900rwhp, daily driven SC300 for about $15000.
ma boy Clinton summed it up pretty well..... cept the BL kit will include a fmic

Why would you want to build a 1uz street car? What is your goal with it? IF you like to fabricate **** and spend money... boy did you find the right project Because teh 2jz WILL take you to the limits of a street car.....
Old 09-29-03, 10:58 PM
racing fan
Driver

This discussion has degenerated from my point of "it is highly possible so don't discount the chances it may happen" into "the 2JZ is easier to work on". This is not my point, and I will not debate you that the 2JZ is easier to work on. Of course it is. I don't care how fast you can change your gaskets, and that's not the point at all. [/B][/QUOTE]

Of course its possible..... but at what cost and for what purpose? and is it worth it.... thats the point... its not worth it.....
Old 09-29-03, 11:01 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Why would anyone want to build a 1UZ street car?
Why would you want to turbo a SC3? Why not just go buy a Supra?

Because it's there. Because it's different. Because it could produce more low end power. Ask Ebanks why he is considering building a 1UZ street car.

If I had it all to do again and I had the choice of importing my V8 or a inline 6 2JZ Soarer from Japan.. I'd buy the V8. Why? It's what I want to do. The V8 Soarer comes with a lot more stuff in the car. Factory touchscreen climate control. Air suspension. I've always wanted to turbo a V8.
Old 09-29-03, 11:09 PM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Originally posted by racing fan
Of course its possible..... but at what cost and for what purpose? and is it worth it.... thats the point... its not worth it..... [/B]
If you go back to how this mess all got started, it was Clint saying "I guarantee noone will ever ever ever ever ever put out a 1UZ TT kit" and me saying "that's pretty bold". THAT'S THE POINT. Do people do stupid pointless stuff with cars? Yes, and there's a whole industry making millions of dollars out of it. What's the point of a 1000hp car when one of those new hybrids will get you from A to B for 1/10 the cost?

Last edited by Fred Smith; 09-29-03 at 11:10 PM.
Old 09-29-03, 11:18 PM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Fred Smith
Why would anyone want to build a 1UZ street car?
Cuz they don't know what all goes into building and maintaing the car.....

[B
Why would you want to turbo a SC3? Why not just go buy a Supra?
[/B]
You can turbo a sc and run 10s for far cheaper (total investment) than a supra.

Ethan will run into alot of issues if he tries to make a 1uz turbo with all the factory amenities....

If you want a turbo v8.. go right ahead... but be prepared to spend alot of money and a whole lot of time, building and maintaing, your car which will still be at teh same level as a street 2jz.
Old 09-29-03, 11:20 PM
racing fan
Driver

If you go back to how this mess all got started, it was Clint saying "I guarantee noone will ever ever ever ever ever put out a 1UZ TT kit" and me saying "that's pretty bold". THAT'S THE POINT. Do people do stupid pointless stuff with cars? Yes, and there's a whole industry making millions of dollars out of it. What's the point of a 1000hp car when one of those new hybrids will get you from A to B for 1/10 the cost?
Clints right... A company wants to make a profit off such a product and this simply wouldn't be a profitable venture.

Quick Reply: Single Turbo SC400