Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Single Turbo SC400

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 02:51 AM
lexussc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would pay 10k for a single turbo sc400 than a 6k sc300 tt just for the fact of knowing i have a v8 turbo..cause everyone know what the advantages a v8 comes along with.I would also pick a sc400 turbo because of the fact that it is very rare, at least for now. Imagine if u went to a car show, or a meet...those who know SCs would probably appreciate a turbo v8 more just for the fact that it's rare...cause i think about 70-80 percent of the cars out there, at least in the import scene with turbos are probably v6 or 4. Swapping a 5 speed would also be a plus for the rare factor on a sc400 since the possibilities are opening. These are just my humble opinion.
Old 09-30-03, 03:48 AM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by sc300tt
My 97? Well I have never added it up, but since I bought a wrecked supra for cheap, have dealer discounts, and did all the labor myself it's probably a lot lower than what it should cost.

However. If I wanted to build a turbo SC without trying to be a uber-baller, I'd buy:

Boostlogic BL74 Turbo kit for NA - ~$4000
2jz-gte pistons and HG -$600
AEM and wideband - $2000
Built Auto and TC- $3000
Fuel System -$2000
LSD - $1000
FMIC - $1200
Gauges,etc -$500
Cams- $700
Nitrous -$500

Now obviously this could be done cheaper and I don't think I'm forgetting anything expect labor, but this would be a well done 9sec 900rwhp, daily driven SC300 for about $15000.
Clint, I am just curious why if it is so cheap and so easy to make a 9 second SC300 why no one has done it yet? Honestly, I don't think a single person has run a decent time since toyomoto went 10.9x like 6 years ago, and I went 11.0 like 2 years ago!

2JZ will alwasy be easier than a 1uz, that is a fact. But it will also always have a lower ultimate limit due to displacement, and always be about 1000x more generic.

People who don't want to go out and pay to have one off stuff made need not apply to trying to turbo a 1uz. I myself am thinking seriously about going down this road. I think 1000RWHP 4.0 single turbo car would be far and away more reliable than a 1000RWHP 3.0 liter. You wouldn't have to run nearly the boost or stress the motor nearly as much.

But honestly, if I do it I don't think I will take into account any of the creature comforts you guys are so concerned about here. I don't use AC anyways, and I don't drive the car in the winter so what is the point of a heater?

I am pretty confident that if I had started with a 400 to begin with, I could probably have a comparable amount of money in that project as my 300 project and be at the same point, or possibly making more power and actually have it be reliable. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now I would have just built a pro import SC for the same amount of money!

-Ethan
Old 09-30-03, 10:40 AM
racing fan
Driver

Originally posted by Ebanks
Clint, I am just curious why if it is so cheap and so easy to make a 9 second SC300 why no one has done it yet? Honestly, I don't think a single person has run a decent time since toyomoto went 10.9x like 6 years ago, and I went 11.0 like 2 years ago!-Ethan
I think the reason we haven't seen it yet is because not too many people ahve gone crazy with the cars..... With the current surge of turbo scs I guaruntee we will see some soon.... I'd personally like to run 10s by the end of this year and hopefully 9s sometime next year.
Old 09-30-03, 12:46 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fred Smith
......Actually, I have my facts straight. I am talking about the 720rwhp Axis TT system by Jason Tarnutzer. Dodgy John also advertises his TT systems from $25k. Which were you talking about? I don't know of any between the 25k and 80k+ mark.. but enlighten me

I was quoting direcy from Hennessey's website stating the Venon 800 package (hisTT setup) starts at $37500.

OK if we are going to compare apples to apples here, we have to at least be fair about it.
1. Where are you going to find an inline 8 capable of 2000hp for $20k? And how are you going to get it to fit under any hood? You are unfairly making your package seem more attractive. I don't see anything more than a 5 or so litre inline 6 fitting. There is already not much room with the 2 banks of small 5s in there. Let alone 8 bigger cylinders. You are also limited to single cam 2 valve, as that is what the V10 is. Otherwise it's not apples to apples, and you should ask them the question inline, or quadcam 40 valve V10? A feature of the V10 is it is low tech. The JZ and UZ are both 4 valve dohc (per bank).

Are you joking me? It was an figurative example. The SC is not a Viper and the Viper never came with two engines, but if it did, this is the correlation.

3. You make the 2JZ alternative produce twice the power of the 1UZ alternative, which is BS.

Thanks for illustrating my point. The 2jz alternative is making 4 times the HP of a stock V-10, just like a 2jz can make 4 times the hp of the stock 1uz.

The two horsepower kings are currently the Venom truck and the Groundfighter... which make about the same? The UZ powered HKS Supra makes more than any JZ Supra I know of... maybe Titan etc are getting close?

Do you read EVERYTHING I post or just pick and choose. I already said that the 1uz is capable of making more HP that the 2jz and that should be the only reason anyone turbos one. Is the groundfighter or the HKS supra a street car? Are the engine bay's the same as an SC? Is there average enthusiasts working on them? Jesus.

Here is a V10 being turbo'd.. doesn't look that bad to me http://www.cmperformance.com/viperproject.html I am thinking that kind of TT kit would be easiest for the 1UZ. Keep the exhaust behind the motor and you don't have as many clearance issues. There should be enough room to get the compressed charge back up to the IC at the front.

Now Geez Fred....is the tube frame viper body the same as the SC??? NO. There is a lot more room on that pic than is on a SC, expecially to get the large turbo size and external wastegates needed to make the 1uz worth turboing. Could someone make it fit?...maybe. But you'd have to pull the engine everytime you need to touch a bolt. That is the point I am and have been making.

This discussion has degenerated from my point of "it is highly possible so don't discount the chances it may happen" into "the 2JZ is easier to work on". This is not my point, and I will not debate you that the 2JZ is easier to work on. Of course it is. I don't care how fast you can change your gaskets, and that's not the point at all.
No Fred. That is the point. I NEVER EVER said it was impossible to do. But if you have ever dealt with a high HP street car, you know that constant maintenance and attention is needed and having to pull the motor everytime you need to touch something is insane unless you have the gobs of cash to put a mechanic's kids through college. I have a good friend with a 300zx that has spent gobs of money trying to make it compete with the big dog Supras. The problem is you can't get to anything and their are HUGE clearnance issues. Hell, to even get 2835s to fit, you have to alter the frame rail. And this is on a car with a V engine that has turbos FROM THE FACTORY!!

Last edited by sc300tt; 09-30-03 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 12:52 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Originally posted by Fred Smith
If you go back to how this mess all got started, it was Clint saying "I guarantee noone will ever ever ever ever ever put out a 1UZ TT kit" and me saying "that's pretty bold". THAT'S THE POINT. Do people do stupid pointless stuff with cars? Yes, and there's a whole industry making millions of dollars out of it. What's the point of a 1000hp car when one of those new hybrids will get you from A to B for 1/10 the cost?
No Fred. Once again your reading comprehension is marginal. I said, and I quote "There will NEVER be an SC400 turbo kit that is in anyway comparble to a turbo SC300 in terms of value, performance, and functionability." I never said nobody will put out a TT 1uz kit, although I highly doubt it.

I can't debate an issue with someone when they can't even comprehend what I am saying.
Old 09-30-03, 01:00 PM
sc300tt
Intermediate

Clint, I am just curious why if it is so cheap and so easy to make a 9 second SC300 why no one has done it yet? Honestly, I don't think a single person has run a decent time since toyomoto went 10.9x like 6 years ago, and I went 11.0 like 2 years ago!

2JZ will alwasy be easier than a 1uz, that is a fact. But it will also always have a lower ultimate limit due to displacement, and always be about 1000x more generic.

People who don't want to go out and pay to have one off stuff made need not apply to trying to turbo a 1uz. I myself am thinking seriously about going down this road. I think 1000RWHP 4.0 single turbo car would be far and away more reliable than a 1000RWHP 3.0 liter. You wouldn't have to run nearly the boost or stress the motor nearly as much.

But honestly, if I do it I don't think I will take into account any of the creature comforts you guys are so concerned about here. I don't use AC anyways, and I don't drive the car in the winter so what is the point of a heater?

I am pretty confident that if I had started with a 400 to begin with, I could probably have a comparable amount of money in that project as my 300 project and be at the same point, or possibly making more power and actually have it be reliable. Honestly, if I knew then what I know now I would have just built a pro import SC for the same amount of money!

-Ethan
Zohair pointed out exactly why it hasn't been done, plus the fact that a nice tubular header has not been readily available (other than a custom job like your hacked HKS) until now with the BoostLogic header, which is a significant leap over the cast manifold in making big hp. The simple formula I wrote above is based on Kean' **** Red Supra, which actually doesn even have the AEM, just an old VPC/G-Force or a turbo that big. It's not rocket science anymore. We have built numerous cars capable of this, altough most have been 6spds. The above list is the plan for my next 97-2000 SC, although I may do a TH400 instead of the built Toyco Tranny.

The reason I am writing all this is to discourage the average SC400 or potential SC owner from thinking that there is ever gonna be this magical 1uz turbo kit for them, like this misguided lexussc400 who would prefer the Turbo V8 because people "would probably appreciate a turbo v8 more just for the fact that it's rare", but has no idea of the headache and hassle that WILL come along with such a tightly fitting, difficult to work on car. Another good example....Lex Luthor. How long did he **** around with his sc400 hoping and dreaming of a way to make it faster? How many other owners are out there doing that? What did Lex end up doing? Getting the SC300. Now, in your case, you want to make gobs of hp, apparently have the budget, and are willing to live without A/C and heater, so this might be a good avenue for you, but for the other 99% of guys interested in this thread and guys that like Lextreme's car .....well, they are only setting theirselves up for dissapointment. I'm just warning them and letting them know from someone that has been there and done that.

Last edited by sc300tt; 09-30-03 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 01:54 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Clint,

The price you stated costed around 15,000 for 9 sec. daily driver. I am sure it cost way over that. Labor for 99% of owner would not be free. When u say 15,000 and get a 9 sec daily, you are misleading the SC3 owners. I would not be suprise the figure goes up to $25,000 for 1000 rwhp. That is the reality of money for HP. I dont know any mechanic would work for free. If you do, pllease let me know. Secondly, this thread is almost out of control and I can feel personal attacks are coming.

We are conducting mature conversations. I made my own TT and it produce 324.5 rwhp with 8 psi. Tell me which 2JZ can produce 324.5 with 8 psi. I dont think so. The reality is this. The SC4 is becoming affordable and younger drivers want performance. Supercharging or turbo the SC4 will always make more HP than SC3 at a given psi.

Like i said before, SC3 is much easier but SC4 have lots of potential. SC4 will require lots more work, lots more headaches, but double the reward........
Old 09-30-03, 04:07 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Zohair pointed out exactly why it hasn't been done, plus the fact that a nice tubular header has not been readily available (other than a custom job like your hacked HKS) until now with the BoostLogic header, which is a significant leap over the cast manifold in making big hp. The simple formula I wrote above is based on Kean' **** Red Supra, which actually doesn even have the AEM, just an old VPC/G-Force or a turbo that big. It's not rocket science anymore. We have built numerous cars capable of this, altough most have been 6spds. The above list is the plan for my next 97-2000 SC, although I may do a TH400 instead of the built Toyco Tranny.

The reason I am writing all this is to discourage the average SC400 or potential SC owner from thinking that there is ever gonna be this magical 1uz turbo kit for them, like this misguided lexussc400 who would prefer the Turbo V8 because people "would probably appreciate a turbo v8 more just for the fact that it's rare", but has no idea of the headache and hassle that WILL come along with such a tightly fitting, difficult to work on car. Another good example....Lex Luthor. How long did he **** around with his sc400 hoping and dreaming of a way to make it faster? How many other owners are out there doing that? What did Lex end up doing? Getting the SC300. Now, in your case, you want to make gobs of hp, apparently have the budget, and are willing to live without A/C and heater, so this might be a good avenue for you, but for the other 99% of guys interested in this thread and guys that like Lextreme's car .....well, they are only setting theirselves up for dissapointment. I'm just warning them and letting them know from someone that has been there and done that.
I agree it isn't for everyone, it really takes someone who is completely stupid like myself to try and go through with it!

I still don't think we will ever see an SC with <=$15k in it running 9s. Maybe for a shop owner who gets free labor and cost on parts it MIGHT come close, but for any normal person I don't ever see that happening. Just IMHO though.

-Ethan
Old 09-30-03, 06:54 PM
racing fan
Driver

I agree it isn't for everyone, it really takes someone who is completely stupid like myself to try and go through with it!

I still don't think we will ever see an SC with <=$15k in it running 9s. Maybe for a shop owner who gets free labor and cost on parts it MIGHT come close, but for any normal person I don't ever see that happening. Just IMHO though.

-Ethan
I plan to get there under 15k but I qualify as the latter....

I don't think its totally out of the picture though. Keans red supra runs 9s and its a very basic, cookbook as we call them, setup. I won't guaruntee 9s.... but 10s WILL be cookbook for an sc with our new line.
Old 09-30-03, 09:05 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lextreme

We are conducting mature conversations. I made my own TT and it produce 324.5 rwhp with 8 psi. Tell me which 2JZ can produce 324.5 with 8 psi. I dont think so. The reality is this. The SC4 is becoming affordable and younger drivers want performance. Supercharging or turbo the SC4 will always make more HP than SC3 at a given psi.
sit down while you think you're ahead

i bet you my car will make 324rwhp at 8psi
i bet you SC300T's car made at LEAST 324rwhp at 8psi... hell he made 427rwhp at 10psi
hell wayne made 400rwhp at 8psi

the REALITY is THIS... you can get a DaveH turbo kit for $2k, buy a FMIC and piping, throw in some bigger injectors, fuel pump, and control and make 500rwhp... on a 2jz-ge

and your last statement makes absolutely NO sense at all so i'm not going to bother... just mentioning that 'psi per psi' like its apples to apples when running different turbos and TOTALLY different engine configurations speaks LOADS of your experience here... sorry dude

Last edited by Bean; 09-30-03 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-30-03, 09:51 PM
racing fan
Driver

Clint,

The price you stated costed around 15,000 for 9 sec. daily driver. I am sure it cost way over that. Labor for 99% of owner would not be free. When u say 15,000 and get a 9 sec daily, you are misleading the SC3 owners. I would not be suprise the figure goes up to $25,000 for 1000 rwhp. That is the reality of money for HP. I dont know any mechanic would work for free. If you do, pllease let me know. Secondly, this thread is almost out of control and I can feel personal attacks are coming.
Clint,and I and others work on our own sc3s... We know what it takes to build and keep a car running.... well clints lacks a little in the latter j/k

Its not taht stragiht forward buddy.... A 2jz can very easily make more than 324 at 8psi.... We usually dyno at a minimum of 1 bar though so I dont have any nummbers to compare.... But there are other factors you ahve to consider such as the volume or air the turbo is pushing( a 76mm trubo will make more at xx psi than a 60mm turbo at xx psi). another factor thats often disregarded is effiency. How free flowing is your dp? ic piping? intake manifold? Exhaust manifold? etc. I have never seen detailed pics of a tt 1uz in a sc setup but I'm assuming the above mentioned effiency factors are less than ideal due to space constraints therefore creating a less efficient setup and making less power at xx psi.

Last edited by racing fan; 09-30-03 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-01-03, 11:34 AM
Fred Smith
Pole Position

Clint I don't think we are on the same page here either. I don't quite understand some of your responses, like you don't seem to understand mine. I don't get why you are now comparing a modded 2JZ to a stock 1UZ.

My price from Hennessey is direct from him.. though I would never think about buying anything from him - you might be OK - you're in Texas Doesn't look like much more room under that Viper hood than under my hood to me, and you just got finished telling me before how it was such a messed up tight install?

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here as we are making slightly different arguments and not really achieving anything convincing each other.
Old 10-01-03, 12:04 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My 97? Well I have never added it up, but since I bought a wrecked supra for cheap, have dealer discounts, and did all the labor myself it's probably a lot lower than what it should cost.

However. If I wanted to build a turbo SC without trying to be a uber-baller, I'd buy:

Boostlogic BL74 Turbo kit for NA - ~$4000
2jz-gte pistons and HG -$600
AEM and wideband - $2000
Built Auto and TC- $3000
Fuel System -$2000
LSD - $1000
FMIC - $1200
Gauges,etc -$500
Cams- $700
Nitrous -$500

Now obviously this could be done cheaper and I don't think I'm forgetting anything expect labor, but this would be a well done 9sec 900rwhp, daily driven SC300 for about $15000.
Clint, you forgot the pimp hat and fur coat.

Chris
Old 10-01-03, 03:55 PM
DontHateSc
Rookie

Ebanks: dont let other people change your mind about going with single turbo sc400. if you get a turbo to work on an sc400 you will not only have the sweetest car, you will be like a legend to everyone on this site that drives an sc!!!
Old 10-01-03, 04:20 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He already IS a Legend, where have you been?

Quick Reply: Single Turbo SC400