Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 R154 Swap - Clutch won’t Fully Disengage

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-21, 08:26 AM
yungloom
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC300 R154 Swap - Clutch won’t Fully Disengage

Hey guys, finally got my manual swap all together yesterday and after the first start on jack stands I noticed my wheels spin when the car turns on and that I can’t shift into 3rd or 4th. I’m just using a stock r154 stage 1 clutch and other parts supplied from driftmotion. Do I need to try and bleed the clutch again?

I don’t think the clutch is in backwards as me and my friend both agreed when installing it that it only really fit in one way.

any help is appreciated!
Old 07-21-21, 11:14 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

If the clutch disc were installed backwards then the R154 shouldn't shift into any gear at all once the engine is running. That was my experience when initially installing a conventional clutch disc backwards. It actually can go in both ways but only the side with the extremely flat surface faces towards the flywheel. The disc side with the springs protruding slightly always faces towards the transmission.

You can try bleeding the clutch again as sometimes it can take 2-3 passes.

Also what condition was the R154 in at the time of installation and what kind of mileage is on it? Sometimes excessive internal wear to the bearings, shift forks, etc. can cause some random quirks.

However you need to rule out any assembly anomalies or hydraulic anomalies first.

If you only have a stage 1 R154 clutch pressure plate and disc then you're basically using an OEM Supra MKIII Turbo clutch kit which is a reliable and foolproof design in my experience.