Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-21, 01:26 PM
shwag
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo kit

Hey everyone, I have a 95 sc300 with 140k miles with a brand new water pump, fuel pump, brakes (rotors and pads) and timing belt. I want to go na-t but before that I'm going to fully prepare with a new lsd, driveshaft, transmission, oil pump, head gasket, head studs, new rods, ECU, radiator, fuel injectors and all the hoses and lines to complete it all.

Now, I do plan to upgrade all the bushings, seals, control arms and then go on air suspension before I ever start to upgrade performance. I do plan to daily drive this car once I get it tagged so right now I'm troubleshooting and solving all the problems on the car that I possibly can right now.

So the reason I am starting this thread is all about going na-t. Im not in a super big rush to get it done as previously stated but I want to get an idea of what to expect. I have an outlined budget of about 30k, and a plan of all the mods and changes that I want to do to this car. Anyway, I have been searching and searching for turbo kits for this car just so I know what to expect budget wise (2-4k). They seem okay price wise but I don't really trust any of them. I can't seem to find a full turbo kit that includes turbo, intercooler, intake, downpipe, manifold, and all the pipes and fittings to connect it all that isn't some random Chinese ebay kit. I want to get something of quality. So for those of you who have gone na-t, what did you use in terms of a kit? I have found a few kits on forums but they all from like 2006 and the kit is no longer in production and I can't find anywhere. Would it Budget smart to just go ahead and buy all the parts separately or is there a bullet proof kit that has everything I'm looking for?
Old 08-04-21, 08:27 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I got the GT35 kit from CX Racing. Its relatively new and there don't seem to be a lot of guys going NA-T these days, but most of the reviews are pretty solid. It has everything you are looking for and uses the stock intake set-up instead of a FFIM. I have not installed mine yet, but the quality seems very good. If you search the IS300 forums, you can find more reviews on the CX Racing kits.

Old 08-05-21, 09:22 AM
shwag
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbostar
I got the GT35 kit from CX Racing. Its relatively new and there don't seem to be a lot of guys going NA-T these days, but most of the reviews are pretty solid. It has everything you are looking for and uses the stock intake set-up instead of a FFIM. I have not installed mine yet, but the quality seems very good. If you search the IS300 forums, you can find more reviews on the CX Racing kits.
yeah I have looked at the t70 kit that they have but I wasn't sure of the quality. Are they not just Chinese parts?
Old 08-05-21, 09:49 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

The Treadstone turbo exhaust manifold is excellent up to I think a 58mm or 62mm turbo.

Precision and BorgWarner are both highly trusted brands for turbochargers in the U.S.

The intercooler choices are very wide. I know some kits are available with SC and MKIV compatible piping. Some owners prefer to have their own piping custom made (and some do it themselves).

Many other supporting components such as the fuel system, ignition setup and ECU+tune comes down to what power level your engine will be tuned to.
Old 08-05-21, 02:15 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shwag
yeah I have looked at the t70 kit that they have but I wasn't sure of the quality. Are they not just Chinese parts?
Yeah some Chinese parts, but honestly, the quality of Chinese parts have come a long way in the last 10 years. The reviews are overall good from what I have seen, and the quality looks great from the pieces I have.

To get a big name turbo kit, you are running in GTE swap territory price-wise. Custom is more budget friendly, but expect to spend a LOT of time on it.

My time is worth more than the money to me at this point in my life, so I'm trying to do my build as conveniently as I can (pre-fabbed when possible, plug-and-play when possible, etc...)