Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo install without that many Complications

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 06:28 AM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SP quoted me 7,000$ drive in drive out - for my previous SC.

I run t3/t4. Generic hks style evc - 2 aux 550's in toyomoto piping, toyomoto manifold and haltec f5 controller. Along with a boost gauge and upgraded clutch. Mkiv (or is it mkiii) fuel pump. The car was purchased already built.

I have hit 19 psi at stock compression. I may or may not have done damage - the car is not boosting the way it used to. But I have not had time to check it out.

Basically, a less agressive turbo, a little fuel consideration - will get you boosting.

Good luck.

Last edited by awj; 10-03-03 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-03-03, 06:56 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

did you hit 19 by mistake? or was that your intention?
Old 10-03-03, 07:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by DGOT20s
tail feathers!!
ugh no you didnt say tail feathers dude! just say tail LIGHTS! please!
that stupid song is in my head and i dont need any reminders, bleh
Old 10-03-03, 09:34 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DGOT, me and gadget will be happy to help you decide what components you should use to hit your hp goals and stay within your budget. Call either one of us and we'll spend some time with you. awj, 19lbs o stock compression?? I hope that was very accidental, 'cause if not you are out of your mind, i'm damn surprised you didn't grenade the reciprocating assy, another testament to the strength of the 2JZ.
Old 10-03-03, 12:23 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Bean
ugh no you didnt say tail feathers dude! just say tail LIGHTS! please!
that stupid song is in my head and i dont need any reminders, bleh
Sorry man, it was stuck in my head when i posted! I like the song though, I think the video was playing
Old 10-03-03, 12:38 PM
awj
Bluegr*** Performance

Yea, I did it on purpose - back when I thought I could afford it. I didn't know how high it would go and wanted to see. So I turned the high boost **** all the way up and pressed the boost 2 switch. Went wide open and saw 1.6kg cm^2 (wich is actually 22psi - but I don't think it will hold that much) on the peak hold of the controller. The boost gauge is in the glove box and I don't spend much time looking at it. It rumbled in first gear - but flew like a rocket through the rest with no indication of a problem. I did that twice - then turned it down to a psig reading off the boost gauge of 15 but I did spike to 1.4 a few times after that. Now months later, she isn't boosting correctly but again - as I've said in other posts - I think it is just a leak on a coupling or line somewhere. The car does not smoke or indicate any other problems other than a whiney ps pump and no consistent boost. I need to tear into it - it needs a clean up for presentation anyways. I'd like to go bigger but that will have to wait. I never did get it to a track this season. All though there is still time - I'm afraid to run it until I know what is causing the boost problem.

We will see I guess. Crazy or stupid. I haven't figured it out yet. My fiancee and checking account point to stupid though. I need to find a reputable dyno operator and/or tuner. I may just drop it off at SP in February and use the tax returns to get her patched up and set up with an agressive tune.
Old 10-03-03, 12:52 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by awj
Crazy or stupid. I haven't figured it out yet. My fiancee and checking account point to stupid though.

Well, that makes two of us brother.
Take it easy with the boost though! I wouldn't go over 10-12 psi on stock compression without any form of timing retard, me personally i'd never turn it past 8-10 pounds. With a BTM, standalone, or E-man, etc, I still wouldn't personally go past 12 psi. 19 psi is a crapload of boost on 10.2:1 CR, and if it did hit 22 pounds then you are even crazier/more stupid than Computer Wiz . Don't blow up a GE just for the sake of it, no matter how much cream you've got. Now someone call Guinness...
Old 10-03-03, 02:25 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

19 psi is a crapload of boost on 10.2:1 CR, and if it did hit 22 pounds then you are even crazier/more stupid than Computer Wiz
It is actually 10.0:1 someone started this 10.2:1 and I would like to get my hands on them Anyways 18# of boost is the max a stock H/G can take before the sheer compression ratio will cause knock, not predetonation. That is according to scott (sc300t). Also I thought Computer Wiz only went 18 with NO2.
Old 10-03-03, 02:25 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

ooops forgot to include a link to where the compression ratio is stated
http://mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf033.jpg
Old 10-03-03, 02:27 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I'm getting ready to blow up a stock GTE just for the sake of it, is that bad? I want to set the new record and go way over that 980hp on a stock bottomend. hehhehe

SR
Old 10-03-03, 02:29 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

I'm getting ready to blow up a stock GTE just for the sake of it, is that bad? I want to set the new record and go way over that 980hp on a stock bottomend. hehhehe
seriously?? what is the setup going to be?
Old 10-04-03, 08:56 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Toyomoto stainless header, Sound Performance intake, SP74HO for now until he has a bigger turbo available, 1600cc injectors, SP400 tranny, and everything that goes with it.

I bought a new stock block from Toyota to put in there while I build the old one to handle 1200hp. Once the old one is rebuilt and ready, I'm going to just start upping the boost on this new block until something pops, hopefully setting a hard to attain record in the process. Not many people would pop a motor for just that.

SR
Old 10-04-03, 06:42 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Default ????

Hey ComputerWiz, how come you want to bust the new block? Part of going for the record? Why not build the new block to handle the power and just blow the block already in the car?? Inquiring minds want to know
Old 10-04-03, 08:06 PM
boredguy77
Lead Lap

I got a better idea you send me the new block I`ll send you my perfectly good working one, and you can blow it up.
Old 10-04-03, 11:37 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude i got a GE block with your name on it; lets trade!

Quick Reply: Turbo install without that many Complications