Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Nitrous No Worky!!! SC4

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-21, 11:16 PM
hippopotam
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nitrous No Worky!!! SC4

Hello all. If any of you are familiar, I own a salvage SC4 with 106,000 miles. KA 5 speed box is going in this week and I already have a nitrous kit hooked up but I am running into issues with it. I bought a cheap dry kit with a relay, solenoid, WOT switch, 20ft of stainless line, some fittings, some jets, and a toggle switch. I'm somewhat unfamiliar with wiring but I got a couple of friends to help me and I'm pretty sure it's done correctly. With that being said, it doesn't work.

I have a toggle switch which I fitted into the cupholder by drilling a hole in it, with a ground, power (for LED light in the switch), and accessory which is wired to the WOT switch. WOT switch is by the gas pedal. Wire goes from pedal, behind dash, to passenger firewall, into the bay, and to the relay. The relay has a power and ground (which work), an input from the WOT/arming switch (firewall wire), and another output to the solenoid. 4 wires total, red/black/white/green. The solenoid has two wires coming off of it, both from the same hole, with no markings as to which one is ground or which one is supposed to go the relay. I assumed it was interchangeable, grounded one and crimped the other to the relay wire. Didn't work, so I reversed that. Solenoid is not clicking when I arm the switch and and trigger the WOT. There is definitely n2o pressure on the intake side of the solenoid and the jet (75 shot) is fasted in the intake, after the air filter, pointed towards the throttle body. The relay is usually warm when I open the hood as it is hooked up to constant battery power (as the instructions say).

Looking for common noob errors for this sort of thing, or instructions on how to find out what I did wrong. Can I use a multimeter and check each of the relay wires to see if they're working? Can I power the solenoid somehow manually to see if that is the point of failure? n2o is almost $100/10lbs where I live and I've opened my bottle to arm the system maybe 5 or 6 times at this point to test only to be left disappointed. I've pressurized 20ft of stainless line this many times, it pains me to think of how much precious nitrous i've dissipated into the atmosphere. I have BK7RE copper plugs which I am planning on running as soon as I can get the spray working, in case anyone is wondering.

Thanks for any advice. I have an M90 blower for the car (no money for an intake manifold though) which I plan on putting on at some point. Does anyone know how it will play with n2o? I assume I'll need a wet kit to do fuel tuning if I add boost which was my future upgrade plan.