Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC300 2JZGE NA-T conversion first timer (first ever project)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-21, 02:11 AM
ccconor
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking SC300 2JZGE NA-T conversion first timer (first ever project)

Hey! Super new here, literally just made my account but I was wondering what the overall opinion is on the NA-T conversion is for the SC300; Ive been reading and I see mixed opinions so far. This SC300 would be the first car ive ever really modified if I carry through with this, so dont mind my shotty ideas or if im missing bits and pieces. Anyway carrying on, I want to do this NA-T conversion and really, im not looking to push major horsepower at all, just want the car to be slightly more zippy, I see the stock car has 225hp from factory so obviously a bit less than that now and was gonna try push that to maybe 300hp or slighty higher/less. Would that be possible or do you have to go for those higher HP numbers? This is gonna sound really cheesy and dumb but really all I want is that nice *** turbo sound; any of them, so really I would be fine with even less than 300hp.

How much would the cheapest of cheap but reliable and not too fast NA-T conversion cost me?
Looking at the kits out there they boast super high HP numbers and cost a butt tone, would I have to DIY it or are there kits that are less powerful and cheaper?
With the NA-T conversion, can I keep the stock auto transmission, or do I need to trans swap; would I still be able to get the gnarly turbo sounds with the auto?

Obviously, with this being my very first ever project car, I'm not looking to spend butt loads of money as of right now; possibly in the future.

Also anyone with one of these conversions, how much extra is the insurance on top of what you would've paid without it?

I'm sorry if this post has frustrated you, this is brand new to me so try cut me some slack )

(Location: Oklahoma)
Old 08-28-21, 10:25 AM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Hello and welcome. As I'm sure others will tell you - if you do some searching on the website, there are tons and tons of threads about NA-T conversions. You can spend hours reading about it all. Also, look on YouTube.

Also, how clean and nice is your current SC300? If it is clean, you probably want to keep it as is and drive it, or sell it and buy something else to make a project.

I'm not sure what you mean by mixed opinions, but I think that anyone who has gone NA-T loves it.

With that said, if this will be your first real project car, I would probably not recommend it. The main reasons are that parts are not easy to find and get, and they can be expensive. Many of the parts for these cars are discontinued. Also, even though the SC300 has a 2JZ, adding a turbo is a fairly complex process, which requires a lot of supporting mods, and cannot really be done cheaply in my opinion. I'm in the process of doing a NA-T conversion right now on my SC300 so I know the pain.

Basically any other vehicle (literally almost anything), can take an LS motor swap. With a junkyard LS motor and Chinese turbo, you can make something with decent HP on a budget. Plus parts would be easier to find. Heck, you are in Oklahoma...find a truck with a blown motor and drop in an LS and turbo that. It will be fast, easy to work on, plus you can haul stuff with it.
Old 08-28-21, 10:24 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Follow AliSC3s guide on NA-T and ull be a happy camper. Mine makes 500 wheel and is a blast to drive
Old 08-28-21, 10:26 PM
ccconor
Rookie

Originally Posted by scsexy
Follow AliSC3s guide on NA-T and ull be a happy camper. Mine makes 500 wheel and is a blast to drive
Do you think it would be possible to make less than 500 hahah, I just want a quick daily that won’t freak out the family too much!
Old 08-28-21, 11:43 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,249 Likes on 869 Posts

NA-T SC300's have been done for years. It's just the quality of the conversion that may vary between examples. Doing it the right way with good reliability I would also strongly recommend reading all of Ali SC3's main threads on the NA-T topic. He is really the man when it comes to NA-T advice and knowledge.

That being said, sure you can make less than 500hp with an NA-T conversion. It's just a matter of the amount of boost you run. In fact, given that 1cc of injector roughly equals 1hp your injector sizing is key as well... since you should plan ahead for roughly 80% of maximum duty cycle on whichever ones you use. Or at least that seems to be a safe bet.

Using an Aristo JDM 2JZ-GTE ECU with the necessary electrical conversion for it you'll be limited to around 500whp max anyway.

The stock automatic transmission may not hold up well indefinitely. Swapping one in from a Supra MKIV TT Auto, Aristo TT, Soarer 1JZ, Chaser, etc, might be better over the long term.

You can certainly use a small turbocharger in order to keep your power goals modest. Many would recommend a 58mm size but there are smaller ones.

You'll still need to do the 12V Fuel ECU + Relay modification along with a fuel pump upgrade (the Supra TT's stock Denso pump is always a good bet).

But there are also things you'll have to do besides the actual turbo are preparations to the engine (pull the engine, pull off the upper oil pan, drill and tap it for an oil drain, clean it thoroughly and then reinstall) and a compression test and compression leakdown test (using a good quality tester that you can remove from the spark plug wells with sockets). You want to be sure that you have good consistent compression on all cylinders before proceeding with an NA-T build on the stock engine. You should be fine but it is ALWAYS recommended that you check first.

You'll also have to follow the 2JZ-GE TSRM (SC300 or Supra MKIV) to pull the cylinder head, remove the head gasket to replace it with a 2JZ-GTE OEM multi-layer-steel head gasket to get down to 9.2:1 compression. ARP head studs with new OEM washers help too. And buy a quality calibrated torque wrench such as CDI 1002MFRMH (3/8 drive) and a thin-wall 12-point 1/2-inch deep socket to do it.

Then you'll want to install a new OEM oil pump (buy the 1996+ type that has the crankshaft sensor location on it) a new water pump, new timing belt, etc.

An upgraded radiator is needed as well. At least one additional auxiliary electric cooling fan in addition to the main mechanical clutch fan with a controller is also recommended.

Upgrade the brakes to LS400 95-00 calipers for safety. Go over the suspension and deal with anything too worn out such as steering rack bushings or front lower control arms.

And it's not performance related but I also recommend at least a plug and play HID headlight kit upgrade and a 3M headlight restore kit for improved visibility at night.

There are so many things to put on your to-do list. It's all very very well documented and many types of configurations have been proven and are very repeatable. The cosmetic parts for the SC itself are becoming more scarce new and are mostly a used find-it-yourself proposition but that shoudn't be a deterrent if your SC is in fairly good condition overall apart from a few things.

Instrument cluster issues and HVAC screen issues can be taken care of by Tanin Auto Electronix who are pretty much the go-to people for those types of repairs.

Oh, also don't skimp out on good performance tires. The SC needs good performance rubber with good rain traction (unless you are building a monster car with 900whp+ with drag slicks).

Everything you wish to achieve is very doable, very documented and proven. But you need to begin reading up and making your to-do lists.

Making an SC turbocharged with an NA-T conversion, 2JZ-GTE swap or 1JZ-GTE swap tend not to be cheap any way you do it but if you are wanting to keep your build well under 500whp it certainly makes for a simpler and more attainable route for NA-T. But as an overall build this is not going to be like building a Honda or Miata financially.

Attainable if you do a lot of research and a lot of the work yourself? Yes certainly. You can make it work on cost but it's not what you'd call an inexpensive build if you do it the right way. In your favor is the fact that the chassis, engine and driveline were basically intended for turbocharged power. You just need to address many things together to successfully convert an NA SC300 to turbo.

Your desired power goals are modest and I do think that helps with attaining your NA-T goal. My own car only runs maybe 310whp which is very modest and I can tell you it's still plenty of power. Not race winning power but absolutely plenty enough to have lots of fun with all day long.
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (08-30-21)
Old 08-28-21, 11:50 PM
ccconor
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
NA-T SC300's have been done for years. It's just the quality of the conversion that may vary between examples. Doing it the right way with good reliability I would also strongly recommend reading all of Ali SC3's main threads on the NA-T topic. He is really the man when it comes to NA-T advice and knowledge.

That being said, sure you can make less than 500hp with an NA-T conversion. It's just a matter of the amount of boost you run. In fact, given that 1cc of injector roughly equals 1hp your injector sizing is key as well... since you should plan ahead for roughly 80% of maximum duty cycle on whichever ones you use. Or at least that seems to be a safe bet.

Using an Aristo JDM 2JZ-GTE ECU with the necessary electrical conversion for it you'll be limited to around 500whp max anyway.

The stock automatic transmission may not hold up well indefinitely. Swapping one in from a Supra MKIV TT Auto, Aristo TT, Soarer 1JZ, Chaser, etc, might be better over the long term.

You can certainly use a small turbocharger in order to keep your power goals modest. Many would recommend a 58mm size but there are smaller ones.

You'll still need to do the 12V Fuel ECU + Relay modification along with a fuel pump upgrade (the Supra TT's stock Denso pump is always a good bet).

But there are also things you'll have to do besides the actual turbo are preparations to the engine (pull the engine, pull off the upper oil pan, drill and tap it for an oil drain, clean it thoroughly and then reinstall) and a compression test and compression leakdown test (using a good quality tester that you can remove from the spark plug wells with sockets). You want to be sure that you have good consistent compression on all cylinders before proceeding with an NA-T build on the stock engine. You should be fine but it is ALWAYS recommended that you check first.

You'll also have to follow the 2JZ-GE TSRM (SC300 or Supra MKIV) to pull the cylinder head, remove the head gasket to replace it with a 2JZ-GTE OEM multi-layer-steel head gasket to get down to 9.2:1 compression. ARP head studs with new OEM washers help too. And buy a quality calibrated torque wrench such as CDI 1002MFRMH (3/8 drive) and a thin-wall 12-point 1/2-inch deep socket to do it.

Then you'll want to install a new OEM oil pump (buy the 1996+ type that has the crankshaft sensor location on it) a new water pump, new timing belt, etc.

An upgraded radiator is needed as well. At least one additional auxiliary electric cooling fan in addition to the main mechanical clutch fan with a controller is also recommended.

Upgrade the brakes to LS400 95-00 calipers for safety. Go over the suspension and deal with anything too worn out such as steering rack bushings or front lower control arms.

And it's not performance related but I also recommend at least a plug and play HID headlight kit upgrade and a 3M headlight restore kit for improved visibility at night.

There are so many things to put on your to-do list. It's all very very well documented and many types of configurations have been proven and are very repeatable. The cosmetic parts for the SC itself are becoming more scarce new and are mostly a used find-it-yourself proposition but that shoudn't be a deterrent if your SC is in fairly good condition overall apart from a few things.

Instrument cluster issues and HVAC screen issues can be taken care of by Tanin Auto Electronix who are pretty much the go-to people for those types of repairs.

Oh, also don't skimp out on good performance tires. The SC needs good performance rubber with good rain traction (unless you are building a monster car with 900whp+ with drag slicks).

Everything you wish to achieve is very doable, very documented and proven. But you need to begin reading up and making your to-do lists.

Making an SC turbocharged with an NA-T conversion, 2JZ-GTE swap or 1JZ-GTE swap tend not to be cheap any way you do it but if you are wanting to keep your build well under 500whp it certainly makes for a simpler and more attainable route for NA-T. But as an overall build this is not going to be like building a Honda or Miata financially.

Attainable if you do a lot of research and a lot of the work yourself? Yes certainly. You can make it work on cost but it's not what you'd call an inexpensive build if you do it the right way. In your favor is the fact that the chassis, engine and driveline were basically intended for turbocharged power. You just need to address many things together to successfully convert an NA SC300 to turbo.

Your desired power goals are modest and I do think that helps with attaining your NA-T goal. My own car only runs maybe 310whp which is very modest and I can tell you it's still plenty of power. Not race winning power but absolutely plenty enough to have lots of fun with all day long.
This is seriously helpful!! Thank you so much for your pathway of a way to do this, after going over a couple more posts on this forum I think i’ll need to get saving but I definitely thing I will be doing this conversion in the future!! Thanks again!!