Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Electric Fans (worth it? - sensor, size, hookup)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-03, 01:04 AM
jacobking
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric Fans

I searched and saw no mention as to whether or no there's any type of sensor related to the electric fans to signal the check engine light to come on if removed. i'm thinking of using electric fans, but wanna make sure i'm not gonna throw a code. also, what size is recomended and how do i go about regulating on/off of the fans? thanks!
Old 09-30-03, 02:22 AM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hydraulic(sp?) fans on the SC400 do not have any parasitic effect on the engine so adding electric fans won't free up any HP. I don't believe anyone has done this conversion on an SC400 for this reason. If you're looking for a little extra room under the hood then the electric fan will free some up.
Old 09-30-03, 02:43 AM
NRG
Lead Lap

electric fans are good for sc300 tho..
removes the fan from the belt system.. and might add 1hp.
Old 09-30-03, 07:39 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it's closer to 8hp. Less drag from the air, and MUCH less rotational weight without the fan and clutch on there.

SR
Old 09-30-03, 02:53 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Plus, the engine sounds much nicer without the noise of the fan!
Old 09-30-03, 06:08 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Electric Fans

Originally posted by jacobking
I searched and saw no mention as to whether or no there's any type of sensor related to the electric fans to signal the check engine light to come on if removed. i'm thinking of using electric fans, but wanna make sure i'm not gonna throw a code. also, what size is recomended and how do i go about regulating on/off of the fans? thanks!
Like stated, no reason to do this on the sc400- it is hydraulically driven. If you do it on the 300 though, expect around 10 hp (NO, NOT 1 hp!!) gains..... I noticed a small difference. Do a search for my writeup, it's pretty comprehensive.

ps- No fault codes will be given since there are no sensors.
Old 10-01-03, 09:01 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Oh, I forgot to mention in case you're still interested.

Flexalite 210's are what you need.
Old 10-02-03, 03:00 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

It should be a good mod, but I'd recommend doing a lot of research before replacing the stock fan.. Would much sooner go w/ some OEM Toyota/Lexus or Nissan fans before using any Flexalites. From what I remember, the FAL's flow somewhere between 1500-2000 cfm's total, whereas better fans can flow near 4-5000 cfm's. Permacool fans have some nice ratings, but they MAY be a bit optimistic.. Most people seem to agree that you can't go wrong w/ SPAL fans.
Old 10-02-03, 03:28 PM
TGRich
Lexus Champion

Some people argue that installing the flexalites is a waste of money b/c they flow less air than stock. But, I would argue that as long as they keep the engine temps low enough and free up some hp, why not? When my a/c is not on and its not a hot (80+ degrees) day, my fans don't even have to run all the time to keep the temp indicator at the halfway mark.
Old 10-02-03, 06:31 PM
Shellhouse
Pole Position

BTW, I'm not trying to knock your choice of fans, just mentioned the FAL's, as they are a popular upgrade. Just noticed you were the first one to post about the FAL's.

On a side note, my stock fan clutch has been locked 1:1 for a couple weeks, and it's SERIOUSLY killing the power. Feels like I've dropped at least 2 secs in the 1/4mi, and more than one person has yelled for me to slow down when I was going low speeds at ~2-3k rpms (literally sounds like a SEMI). Never thought a fan could make such a big difference

Last edited by Shellhouse; 10-02-03 at 06:33 PM.
Old 07-12-05, 11:22 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

. From what I remember, the FAL's flow somewhere between 1500-2000 cfm's total, whereas better fans can flow near 4-5000 cfm's.
Neat, but how much louder are these higher CFM fans and how much more Power do they use? <pls no comments on resurrecting an old thread, I'm on topic, thats why I posted>
Old 07-12-05, 02:58 PM
ummagawd
Lexus Test Driver

it really depends on the brand and style you get...

i personally have flexalites and would never go with anyone else just for the plain reason that their customer service is the BEST.

My first set of 210's made an annoying vibration/resonance and it was audible enough to bug me... i simply emailed flexalite and got a personal reply (not something automated)...

he acknowledge my problem to be a simple design flaw in the blades... he immediately shipped me out a new set of fan blades at no cost.

Now... the fans are quiet, don't vibrate or make any sort of resonance.

Then... I had a fan stop working (i had a leaky radiator at the time and prolly screwed it up) and he sent me a new motor for it ... all free.

As for how much power... you might want to reference their site for specs... in my personal experience... it sucks up enough power to affect engine idle.

You can run a temp control box (only turns on the fans at a certain temp) if you don't want'em running all the time. I personally removed mine to clean up the wiring a bit (you can PM if you're interested in this control unit.... it'll work with ANY set of e-fans you end up getting)

I can also give you the email address of the guy that's helped me with the flexalite fans. I'm sure he can give you a good deal.