Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Did a tuneup now my 30A INJ fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-21, 05:48 PM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Did a tuneup now my 30A INJ fuse keeps blowing

Hey all!

First post here but been researching and lurking for a little while. I recently bought an SC300 (1997) with about 200K miles. It was it decent shape but I've done a lot of cleaning, waxing, updating, etc. Today I finished putting in new plugs, wires, distributor cap and valve cover gaskets. I FINALLY got everything buttoned up and ready to go. I tried to start the car...it cranks but no start. I thought at first maybe I didn't hook something back up but couldn't find anything. It quickly dawned on me that I should check the fuses since it seemed to not be trying to start at all. Anyway, the 30A fuse simply labeled INJ keeps blowing. The wiring diagram I have makes it look like hardly anything is actually on this circuit. So, just wondering if anyone else has seen this before or maybe where I should start looking. Since I had the valve covers off I had to bend the wiring harness that went over the front of the covers out of the way and I'm thinking something in there might have gotten damaged but not sure...

Appreciate any and all assistance!

DMJAMM

Old 09-30-21, 06:51 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

You hunch is probably right, a wire got damaged. I would check the fuel injector sub-harness's for damage or being pinched between one of the valve covers & cylinder head.
Old 09-30-21, 07:03 PM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

Dr,

Thank you sir! I'll give it a looksie tomorrow. If I can't find anything obvious, where exactly is the fuel injector sub harness...I know it's over by the injectors (and I'm assuming under the intake), but is it it's own harness that is basically separate from the rest?

Thanks again!
Old 10-01-21, 03:25 PM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

So...did some digging and actually removed the IJ1 block from the passenger side area (this contains most of the injector wiring), plugged everything else back in, put the fuse in and went to ON. Didn't blow the fuse and had my CEL back (forgot to mention earlier that was missing when the ignition was in the ON position). So, confirmed something with the injector area...pulled the intake and low and behold one of my injectors (I believe #4) had its wires smashed to bejeezus and back (they were caught in the intake). Fixed the wires, reinserted IJ1 and checked again...no blown fuse. Put everything back together and all is perfect. Really wish they (Toyota/Lexus) would have left the stupid intake all on the left side like the Supra but that's a story for another day I guess.

For anyone else doing plugs, just make REALLY sure you don't have any wiring caught on something when putting the intake back together. After looking and finding my problem it looks like the wiring for the middle injectors almost try to stick up and get in between the manifold parts when you put everything back together.

Thanks Doc for the help as well.

Cheers!

dmjamm
The following 2 users liked this post by dmjamm:
Bimmerbill (10-02-21), Supra Dr (10-03-21)
Old 10-01-21, 05:58 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for the update!