Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cannon mufflers without the muffling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 07:36 AM
1uzfee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cannon mufflers without the muffling?

Hi, Last month I did a catback straightpipe on my 95' Sc400, and had some DC sport cannon style muffler that I wanted to put on. I loved the sound of the car without the mufflers on with the catback straight-pipe, but after putting the mufflers on, the car basically sounded the same as stock. So I just cut the mufflers off and I've been absolutely loving the sound of my straight pipes. Now heres my question, Is there a way to get the looks of the cannon muffler, while not reducing the sound at all? I've still got the mufflers that I cut off, and i was wondering if i could do something to them to eliminate the muffling aspect of them without changing up the looks. I know its a stupid question but i cant seem to give up the amazing looks that these mufflers gave to my car.
Old 10-04-21, 10:24 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

You could attempt to gut those mufflers you have, but that might take hours to do, assuming you own tools that can fit in there to cut the insides of the muffler out. Or maybe use a blowtorch and cut it out that way...
You might want to look into different mufflers.
You want to find a cannon style muffler that's the same diameter inside as your current exhaust piping, and is narrow overall. That is, you want a muffler with a wide inner diameter thats thinner like a resonator and not giant like some mufflers out there. The thinner the muffler the less sound deadening it has inside it.

I think what you really want is just nicer muffler tips. If you love the sound of the exhaust now, with no mufflers, then just look into putting some nice tips on it
Old 10-04-21, 09:19 PM
Turbostar
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't think gutting it will work - it will still be a hollow chamber, like a resonator, and will alter the sound. You could maybe put a pipe through it and have it welded, so the muffler is just a housing around a straight pipe.

Or, just put some nice tips on it. That is probably what I would do.
Old 10-08-21, 06:16 AM
1uzfee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbostar
I don't think gutting it will work - it will still be a hollow chamber, like a resonator, and will alter the sound. You could maybe put a pipe through it and have it welded, so the muffler is just a housing around a straight pipe.

Or, just put some nice tips on it. That is probably what I would do.
I guess so, Ill probably just weld a pipe inside and grind it down as much as I can, These are 50$ mufflers each anyways. Thanks for the reply