Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

AC smells like cat Pi$$ when it first comes on

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-21, 11:31 AM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AC smells like cat Pi$$ when it first comes on

So, as in the title. When I bought the car it was pretty nasty inside with a weird, grimy smell to match. I've since done a lot of work to get the car running and looking much better. After cleaning the heck out of everything I've now noticed a new problem. My wife said she noticed it the whole time but I guess because of the normal odor of the car I didn't. Anyway, as soon as I start the car and the AC comes on I get this immediate odor that smells like animal pee. It goes away fairly quickly but it's there every time. I'm assuming/hoping there's somewhere I can clean that I haven't gotten to yet that will fix this. Pretty sure the air comes in from the base of the windshield but not sure if I need to take anything apart there or look somewhere else.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-19-21, 01:35 PM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,202 Likes on 833 Posts

I'd consider putting in some "Frigi freeze" (might have to check spelling on that). It can be sprayed into the HVAC inlet and has antimicrobial properties that can work wonders.
The following users liked this post:
dmjamm (10-19-21)
Old 10-19-21, 04:56 PM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

Rudy,

Thanks! Found the product as well…Frigi-fresh😁 First time I’ve had this in any vehicle so was at a complete loss for how to fix it. I’ll give it a shot and see how it does.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
RudysSC (10-20-21)
Old 10-19-21, 07:04 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

You have mice in your car, you need to get rid of them before they start eating wiring & damaging things further.
Old 10-20-21, 08:56 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Try the cleaners first, maybe even rent one of those ozone machines and see if that can help with it also. If its not going away I would take the dash off and start going through the system to see if there are any surprises in there.
Like Supra Dr. said above about the mice, you wouldn't be the first person to have some animals nesting somewhere in there.
Old 10-22-21, 03:18 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

How was the cabin air filter when you took it out? Was it dirty but intact? Or did something eat its way thru it? I can't say if you have anything living in there still but something like that would be an indicator if something IS, or once lived in there.
If it had a hole, or holes, then you should take some of the dash apart, undo the ducting, and inspect them for evidence of a nest. If the filter was intact, and you can't find any evidence of anything living in the ducts, then you dodged a bullet. Take the panels off at the base of the windshield and look to see if animals made a nest in there at some point.

If everything looks good, then try this. I used this kit to eliminate a strong cigar smell that stained the evaporator core of my IS300. The previous owner love to smoke cigars with the AC on recirculate apparently.

It's in stock at every Toyota dealership. Price varies slightly but should be around $35 give or take a bit.
Part # 00289ACRKT
https://parts.toyota.com/p/Toyota-AC...0289ACRKT.html

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 10-22-21 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-16-21, 08:44 AM
dmjamm
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Supra Dr
You have mice in your car, you need to get rid of them before they start eating wiring & damaging things further.
Doc,

Thankfully no critters in the car! I was a little concerned as others in the area have had palm rats get into their cars and wiring.

Soarer,

The cars didn't actually come with cabin filters...you have to order them and install them yourself. I don't know why they decided to not put them in the Lexus cars but they are factory installed overseas.

To all...I would HIGHLY suggest you make this a to-do item on your maintenance list. I popped the filter cover off and a whole bunch of crap fell out of it...I mean A LOT! There was all sorts of stuff that had made it's way through the screens in the cowl intake and down into this area. I'm sure the thing has never been cleaned in the car's life so no surprise there. I had to vacuum out as much as I could get to with my shop vac and then take my hand and reach as well as I could with Clorox wipes to get to the rest. I ended up vacuuming up a whole pile of stuff, sucking a bunch out with the shop vac and going through about half a tub of wipes (well maybe not quite that much...but several). I'm going to order some of the charcoal filters to put in there but as mentioned I'm going to add this to the list of general maintenance items to be sure and check!

DM
Old 11-16-21, 05:15 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

No poop?!?!? LOL