Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Performance Headers (Shorties) + X Pipe Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-21 | 05:06 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Default Performance Headers (Shorties) + X Pipe Options

Hello Everyone,

Long time 95 SC owner. Can you guys please tell me what would be the best aftermarket exhaust setup retaining the dual cats. Basically can you please give me options for aftermarket:

Transmission Mounts
Engine Mounts
Headers + dual cats combination (ie, OBX vs PPE)
x pipe

Thank you in Advanced.

Looking for as close as we can get to a direct fit.
Old 11-17-21 | 05:09 AM
scsexy
Advanced

a stock set off a low mile parts car if you want direct fit
turbo if your looking for any performance,

You want to retain the stock cats? or want some after market cats?
Old 11-17-21 | 11:00 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Hello SCSexy, I am looking for an aftermarket performance setup. The headers should bolt up nicely to the engine, with high flow cats and then to the X pipe.

Not looking to boost the car. Would like a nice exhaust setup with X pipe to retain the factory look and feel....
Old 11-18-21 | 06:07 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Originally Posted by rollexus
Hello SCSexy, I am looking for an aftermarket performance setup. The headers should bolt up nicely to the engine, with high flow cats and then to the X pipe.

Not looking to boost the car. Would like a nice exhaust setup with X pipe to retain the factory look and feel....
Do you have to pass emissions? because i do here in denver =\

The high flow cats have a hard time passing. I had a cat i could bolt in when i would go for my emissions test and a str8 pipe i could bolt in for performance. I was turbo and the cat would limit my boost from 20 psi to 14 psi because its choking the exhaust.

You won't gain any real performance from after market headers and high flow cats. It will just be louder. I work at a speed shop with a dyno and we see cars like ours pick up 2-5 horsepower after full exhaust work like that. On a nice V8 making 500 already sometimes we see as much as 12 hp gain from getting rid of factory cats. But at the cost of failing emissions.

All i can recommend if your set in your ways is don't use "ebay" headers if u want them to line up right. (go turbo!)
Old 11-18-21 | 03:39 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

In canada we no longer have emission testing
Old 11-19-21 | 05:11 AM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Do I need to bump? If I can get a concrete direction it would be great.
Old 11-24-21 | 07:29 PM
rollexus
Pit Crew

Basically no help? Not even ask me to use the search feature and pull up old posts as I already did?
Old 12-25-21 | 02:25 PM
1uzfee
Driver School Candidate

Default Bump

Bump
Old 12-25-21 | 02:34 PM
1uzfee
Driver School Candidate

Default Hurricane headers

The only In-stock header options for us seem to be Hurricane headers from down under, there's a street option as well as a racing option. They run ~900 for either without shipping costs Here. These are long tubes so stock cats won't be an option though. I'm planning on going with these paired to an H pipe and nothing else.
Old 12-26-21 | 05:28 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Another option is the inexpensive e bay headers. I went this route and have not looked back. They were a little out of line on the flanges but that was easily overcome. Being stainless I cleaned them and then lightly sanded them, then cleaned and painted ( 4 coats ) of ceramic header paint then heated them. After installation I let the SC idle for 30 minutes. I do not have to worry about heat transfer to the interior. Paint still looks like the day I applied it. I have no complaints. Of course it is somewhat louder with the Supra mid pipe and the Manzo rear set up.
Old 12-26-21 | 10:50 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bimmerbill
Another option is the inexpensive e bay headers. I went this route and have not looked back. They were a little out of line on the flanges but that was easily overcome. Being stainless I cleaned them and then lightly sanded them, then cleaned and painted ( 4 coats ) of ceramic header paint then heated them. After installation I let the SC idle for 30 minutes. I do not have to worry about heat transfer to the interior. Paint still looks like the day I applied it. I have no complaints. Of course it is somewhat louder with the Supra mid pipe and the Manzo rear set up.
A little out of line with the flanges…? Can you add some more details to that statement? How do you overcome that if they don’t line up? Lol

Did you happen to take any pictures of the welds inside the runners? If the welds are nasty and the ports don’t line up with the runners, they could be costing you flow and power. A blemish is one thing, but bad fitment and/or poor quality that hampers performance probably isn’t worth it…?

Nick
Old 12-29-21 | 05:38 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

Hey Nick,
Sorry for my tardiness on answering your message, but have been out of town. The headers were perfect. Welds were beautiful. Would not have spent that much time time on sanding cleaning and then 4 coats of ceramic header paint if they had not been perfect. No pictures, at that time did not see a reason to take any. As I said before the flanges did not quite line up which was easily fixed. The header was put in a vise and a long pry bar used very gently to pull the front flange in line with the rear. Of course the header was wrapped in a towel while in the vise to keep from scratching it.
Another thought, a fellow named Edward has done a number of videos on You Tube with his SC's and he did one on installing these same headers on one of his 300's. Had the same problem with alignment on his header and was able to maker the alignment good.
Best of luck.
Old 12-29-21 | 06:23 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

Hey Nick,
Sorry for my tardiness on answering your message, but have been out of town. The headers were perfect. Welds were beautiful. Would not have spent that much time time on sanding cleaning and then 4 coats of ceramic header paint if they had not been perfect. No pictures, at that time did not see a reason to take any. As I said before the flanges did not quite line up which was easily fixed. The header was put in a vise and a long pry bar used very gently to pull the front flange in line with the rear. Of course the header was wrapped in a towel while in the vise to keep from scratching it.
Another thought, a fellow named Edward has done a number of videos on You Tube with his SC's and he did one on installing these same headers on one of his 300's. Had the same problem with alignment on his header and was able to maker the alignment good.
Best of luck.
Thanks for your reply. No trouble at all, my friend.

So, the header flange was warped? It wouldn’t sit flat on the cylinder head? Are you sure it doesn’t leak now? Exhaust manifolds which aren’t perfectly flat typically leak…?

Thanks for the info!

Nick
Old 12-29-21 | 07:19 AM
Bimmerbill
Advanced

NO LEAKS AT ALL. We checked with a level before installing and they have been on the car for several months now and still no leaks. I just had a light bulb come on. I may have used the wrong word, the flange was not warped just out of line. Sorry about this, when you get my age sometimes things come out just totally incorrect.
Old 12-29-21 | 08:30 AM
CLass of 1
Advanced

NO LEAKS AT ALL. We checked with a level before installing and they have been on the car for several months now and still no leaks. I just had a light bulb come on. I may have used the wrong word, the flange was not warped just out of line. Sorry about this, when you get my age sometimes things come out just totally incorrect.
haha no sweat. Thanks for the additional info. I’m sure it will help others to make their decisions about purchasing an economical set of headers!

Nick

Quick Reply: Performance Headers (Shorties) + X Pipe Options