Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

egr block off = hp

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-03, 11:10 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

I think I am in the "Black List" U know what I mean . Anyway, Mpart email as follow:

David, the plate your interested in, is it the same as shown on my site or do
you have a new shape?

if its the same as the one shown then I need to make them in 40 pieces per order
for a group buy, $20 each shipped........or for 20 pieces $25 each shipped...

Keith, what is your plan for removing the EGR? Share the wealth! As far a I know, you dont need to remove the header in order to EGR plate. Its tight, but you will need to jack the car up.
Old 10-12-03, 03:46 PM
lspower
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so who is all buying one????
im in
Old 10-12-03, 03:52 PM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Actually, I found out the T3 Turbo oil flange will work. Its almost the same size. Check it out in ebay... its about $5.00 I have an extra EGR pipe and a dead T3 and home and compared. It will work..
Old 10-13-03, 02:28 AM
AussieSoarer
Driver School Candidate

Hello Everyone,,
Well to help with 2 situations,
1st,,,I am cutting a Shim Plate to send to Philly PA ,,,For a Ryan...And If Jamie ?? I think it was will contact me,,I will send one to him as well....Both of you have contacted me..And as I told Ryan,,I will send him 1 Free of Charge...Same for you Jamie?Jason? Then these blokes can let you all know what i am talking about,,Ok..
There may be enough movement in the Exhaust side of the pipe to possably remove the 2 x 12mm nuts and lever it up to place this shim in,Ok....As the Flex part of the EGR pipe is at the Exhaust side.

2nd.....I promise to get my finger out and complete the Headers WITH EGR pipe join for yous,,Ok...
I am just trying to work out the easiest way for you's to be able to fit them (But you will have to remove the EGR pipe for the Install of these Headers,Ok)As there is gunna be a Mod you will have to do to the EGR pipe...Is that Ok by everyone ??

Cheers Blokes.
Old 10-13-03, 04:59 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Lextreme
Keith, what is your plan for removing the EGR? Share the wealth! As far a I know, you dont need to remove the header in order to EGR plate. Its tight, but you will need to jack the car up.
The Aussie headers I bought require that I remove the EGR system. There's no secret gain, its just that they do not have the egr system over there, thus the US cars must remove it in order for the headers to work. I know the EGR doesn't have to be removed for installation, but unless you can hook the EGR up to the exhaust, it will only cause problems. SO I need to just block off the egr to install my headers. I've had these friggiin things well over a year, and I just want to install them!!!!!

We so quickly forget (or at least I did) that the US spec cars are actually quite different from the others! Damnit!
Old 10-13-03, 02:32 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

Keith, And everyone else,
Are you's happy to remove the EGR Pipe to Install the Headers ???
If so...I will cut a Blanking Plate for the Plenum Chamber...And install the second Oxygen Sensor Mounting hole for you's ???

So,,Whoever is happy to do this.....I will have everything ready for shipment within 2 weeks ??

I need "Input" Guy's....hard to make something without it ???
Old 10-13-03, 06:09 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i want to keep my EGR. the environment will thank us later.
Old 10-14-03, 05:46 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Blown SC
Keith, And everyone else, Are you's happy to remove the EGR Pipe to Install the Headers ???
Not really, as thats why its been a year and the headers are still collecting dust in my garage! But I'll do what I have to do to just get it installed. Right now, I don't care to be honest, and I'm pretty much going to block off the EGR anyway. Every car I've ever owned, I've yanked the EGR, its just the SC400 has several other sensors connected to the EGR system, and I've been a bit weary to remove it since I'm not sure if it would affect the other things. But since its got to go, its got to go. I'll find out the hard way. But I'm pretty sure nothing will really be affected.

I will cut a Blanking Plate for the Plenum Chamber...And install the second Oxygen Sensor Mounting hole for you's ??? So,,Whoever is happy to do this.....I will have everything ready for shipment within 2 weeks ?? I need "Input" Guy's....hard to make something without it ???
Heck yea, I'm interested, but I kinda don't want to send off the headers in the mail. If you can just offer a kit to do the conversion, that would be great. Please let me know, and send a PM if you decide to offer this, as I might miss a reply in this thread.

Thanks!
Old 10-14-03, 02:38 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

Keith,
Do you want to leave the EGR pipe on ???

If not,,I will send you plate for the Plenum Chamber...Even though the Headers did not come from me.Ok..

Or you want me to send you a Pipe setup for the EGR ???

Please let me know mate.
Old 10-15-03, 05:02 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Blown SC
Keith,
Do you want to leave the EGR pipe on ???

If not,,I will send you plate for the Plenum Chamber...Even though the Headers did not come from me.Ok..

Or you want me to send you a Pipe setup for the EGR ???

Please let me know mate.
I'll remove the EGR system, and block it off with a plate. This is a very nice gesture on your part, and is greatly appreciated on my end. Just let me know what you need from me.

Thanks again,
Keith
Old 10-15-03, 01:29 PM
Single7
Driver School Candidate

EGR block off plates can be bought from Complete Engineering for $35+shipping made from 1/4" Aluminum. I called them up today and they have 5 sets in stock.
Old 10-16-03, 05:26 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Originally posted by Single7
EGR block off plates can be bought from Complete Engineering for $35+shipping made from 1/4" Aluminum. I called them up today and they have 5 sets in stock.
Not a bad markup for a $1- $2 piece of metal! (assuming its just a flat plate like on other cars)

I used to make them for rotary engines (cost me about .70 cents each to produce), and I remember complaining when people charged $10 - $12 bucks for one a few years ago. Man times have changed. $35 bucks.....WOW! Get me some vasiline!!! I hope its gold plated, with all the gaskets. Does it have a Lexus logo on it or something? God I love owning a Lexus....when even a block off plate is overpriced just becaus of the name. If that price is in AUD, then I retract these comments, as that would put it at a fair price. A honest price is $15-$20 US for a finished and produced piece, powdercoated.

I think I'll take Blown SC up on his generous offer and send him some beer money as a return gesture. Now I just need to find the closest bank to convert some cash.....

Last edited by Keith13b; 10-16-03 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-16-03, 02:34 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

heheheheeh Keith,,I dont drink Alcohol mate,,,just coffee...
They are 2 differant sized plates....The Plenum one is a tad smaller than the Exh one...

****,,,I just noticed that I have 2 user names on here...BlownSC & AussieSoarer...Damn,,Sorry Guy's...I forgot my first user name and created another..dunno how both come back up ??? Will have to delete 1 me thinks..

Keith,,Let me know when ya ready mate...

How many other people are interested in this plate ???..
Old 10-19-03, 10:13 AM
Seismic
Rookie

Question More HP, or just more bologna?

So after reading this thread I still have not been able to figure out what the consensus says...

Does blocking off the EGR give more HP? Does anyone have proof, like a dyno run?
The info stated in this thread seems to make sense (colder intake air), but some argue... why?

Is this a reasonable mod for me, considering I have all stock internals (just for now), i.e. will it do ANYTHING for performance?

And finally... What is ths talk about power from a cold engine?! My Lex owner's manual asks that you at least give 'er 10 sec. from start up to putting it in gear (which I always try to do)!
I treat my car like my woman...
I give her regular attention, and occasionally splurge on 'er (even if I don't have the money!)
I always warm her up properly before going to town! :P I never race a cold engine...
and I PAY ATTENTION TO EVERY DETAIL!

...but then again, just like with women, the car doesn't always tell you what's wrong or what she want, you're just supposed to know!
Old 10-20-03, 05:20 AM
Keith13b
Racer

I've blocked off many EGR valves in my life, and never noticed any power gains. So don't expect any. If there is any gains its probably just 1-2 hp at the most, which won't be noticable anyway. If you don't have a reason to remove the EGR.....don't!

Quick Reply: egr block off = hp