Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So who has done the BFI?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 09:07 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds good. Thanks a lot
Old 05-21-04, 06:40 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

There is a nice tutorial on
http://reepa.com

about a BFI with a much clearer template for the origninal BFI.

http://reepa.com/bfi.htm - well worth a read for the BFI newbie, lots of clear directions.

In BFI 3 I used a flate plate under the headlight - the pocket to the left of the indicator acts as an extra dirt and bug trap.

I have also just graduated to a TRD oiled cotton filter - I will do a lab analysis of the engine oil to compare to a stock Toyota filter for silicate filtration.

best regards
Peter Scott
(for newbies BFI = Big Intake)
Old 05-21-04, 01:07 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the sites, they are very useful. Would you recommend the BFI or should I go INJEN? Thanks. Or Just KnN directly mounted?
Old 05-23-04, 01:07 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the BFI v. 1; I just cut the front of the air box off. And I could honestly say that is was the best free mod I have ever done to my car, I love the noise it puts out, everyone asks me what kind of exhaust I'm running even though I'm completely stock as far as exhaust goes. Performance wise It has not made too much of a difference in the take off or low end its barely noticeable, but once you get on the freeway and there is ample amounts of air going to the box you feel the difference and the car takes off much stronger. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is capable of doing it them selves.

Tommy
Old 05-23-04, 08:55 PM
babehboi
Driver School Candidate

HEhe thanks for the update. Just letting you know, for your profile, its a small issue, but you could make people mistaken 18 Ft wheels for 18 inch wheels, cuz its " for inches while ' for foot. Small detail. Anyways, did you just take off the front cover and that's all? Or did you just did all of BFI1?

Will
Old 05-23-04, 09:52 PM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

Did the BFI today, cut the front of the airbox, nice clean pretty square hoel in the front ( hardest part was getting the headlight out, unbolted everything and just didn't want to come out, went back in fine and I will get it out in like 5 mins the next time )
Used Lexan and made the cover for around the airbox and heatshield between the PS pump.
Cleaned the heck out of the engine bay when everything was out of there, don't want all the dirt and dust getting jammed in the air filter.
Took the longest time cleaning and vacuming the airbox after cutting the hole so no plastic or anything get sucked into the engine.

Did not do the front scoop BUT
I am working on ducting air from the bumper next to the fog/cornering light up to the hole near the airbox under the headlight.
When you have the headlight out this is actually the shortest, most direct path for air to flow and may take a little work and some creative use of materials but I think this would work awesome.
I will let you know how this goes next week

Oh yeah, have not tested MPG yet, but at WOT and low rpm it does sound a lot louder overall it sounds stronger ( not suffocating anymore ) throttle response is a little better, best $6 mod I have done yet
Old 05-23-04, 11:40 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha Well what do you know it seems like Will is right about the profile thing, Thanks for letting me know Will at least I wont look stupid anymore Anyway I went to the planet soarer website and made my BFI with the Directions they gave me, I just cut out the front side of the box, the part that attaches to the snorkel and did the whole "ram air" thing and I was done.

Tommy
Old 05-28-04, 05:40 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK,

In short we are cutting a big hole, or 3 holes, in our airbox?? Is that it?? And then building a somewhat airtype box around it?? Sorry, been sick, head not working well!!

Jonny
Old 05-29-04, 12:14 AM
HotBoy
Lead Lap

I cut one hole, like the bottom 1/3 almost nice an dclean but sort of wish I would have cut higher instead of lower so stuff doesn't get blown right at the filter ( doesn't matter I guess ) then cut liek the template says and create a box and heatshield around the air intake box, then you can do the box thing that goes under the headlight and form the scoup if you want. I chose not to as this weekend I am trying to direct and route some piping from the spot under the headlight. As is now I got a few better MPG and the sound is oprettty good, throttle response is a LITTLE better. GREAT mod for the money ( which is almost nothing )