Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Broken ACV hose, need to pass smog

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 08:55 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Broken ACV hose, need to pass smog

Hey everyone sorry it’s been so long since I’ve posted I haven’t been able to log into my account I am still here enjoying my SC‘s and have stumbled across a problem. Both of my cars are 95 SC 400s one needed to pass smog and passed emissions OK but on my ACV intake hose the hose pictured there was a Jerry rig fix done at a certain point involving a pipe the same diameter is Air intake assembly. Even though I passed emissions here in California they would not pass my car because that’s not a factory part yes California sucks ha ha. My friend and I tried to swap the intake assemblies from my car that did pass smog to the other one and in the process split that last hose we need to connect everything which is pictured. We try to cut past the split and put it on but it seems to keep splitting does anybody have a part number for this hose? I know it has been discontinued but maybe there is some stock somewhere on Lexus parts now or something? If anyone has one in good shape let me know also thinking about putting on bulk hose in place of the OEM hose. Thanks everyone this has been very frustrated and just wanna get my car registered

Old 02-14-22, 10:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,845 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Metal union and some generic hose will fix you right up. Long term you'll probably have to replace the entire hose with generic.
Old 02-16-22, 02:24 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

I remember seeing your post on one of the Facebook threads. I left you a reply there. Have you pulled out that hose and taken it into an Autozone or Pep Boys to see what the inner-diameter (ID) is so that you can get it matched? A hose from the Gates brand should be able to replace it and look just about the same as stock.

For general hoses like these sometimes they get discontinued but they already look so generic from the factory that as long as you get a perfect match in an aftermarket hose and even go as far as to order new OEM tension clamps to go onto the ends (assuming they fit well on the outer-diameter) and route it EXACTLY the same way it was stock I don't think most smog technicians would be able to tell the difference.

Now if it's any specifically formed OEM intake hose... like the main one with ribbing on it... unfortunately that cannot be replaced with a generic aftermarket part and still pass visual inspection. For that you'd need a good uncracked used OEM hose or a new one. If some super-specifically formed hose in the engine bay is still available from Lexus I'd buy it just to have it as a new spare for a rainy day.

For that little hose you're pointing to you should just replace the whole thing with new same inner-diameter and same outer-diameter generic hose. Give anything by Gates a try first and see if they have anything.

I've hunted for replacements for discontinued general purpose OEM hoses a lot over the years to be able to pass smog visual. One of the craziest I came across for a MUCH thicker vacuum connection which the OEM hose set had been discontinued for after trying many aftermarket hoses was to buy a new OEM Toyota EVAP hose for a certain year Tundra. This hose had one diameter 90% of the way and then flared out to a larger diameter for the last 10% on the other end. The majority of it was the right length but I didn't need the flared larger diameter part so I just cut that off VERY cleanly and routed it like the old ripped stock hose, attached the factory tension clamps and.... it looked as if it were 100% stock. And it was also exactly the same type and standard of hose that Toyota used in the first place.

My point being: Usually matching an old broken/cracked, ripped or worn out OEM hose with the right inner-diameter generic hose can do the trick. Sometimes you have to get even more creative and just get some hose from another Toyota or Lexus and cut it down to size. The only cases where you absolutely MUST get the exact same OEM hose part for your model in order to pass smog visual is if the part is a specially formed/ribbed/shaped thing like an intake hose.
Old 02-16-22, 09:29 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I remember seeing your post on one of the Facebook threads. I left you a reply there. Have you pulled out that hose and taken it into an Autozone or Pep Boys to see what the inner-diameter (ID) is so that you can get it matched? A hose from the Gates brand should be able to replace it and look just about the same as stock.

For general hoses like these sometimes they get discontinued but they already look so generic from the factory that as long as you get a perfect match in an aftermarket hose and even go as far as to order new OEM tension clamps to go onto the ends (assuming they fit well on the outer-diameter) and route it EXACTLY the same way it was stock I don't think most smog technicians would be able to tell the difference.

Now if it's any specifically formed OEM intake hose... like the main one with ribbing on it... unfortunately that cannot be replaced with a generic aftermarket part and still pass visual inspection. For that you'd need a good uncracked used OEM hose or a new one. If some super-specifically formed hose in the engine bay is still available from Lexus I'd buy it just to have it as a new spare for a rainy day.

For that little hose you're pointing to you should just replace the whole thing with new same inner-diameter and same outer-diameter generic hose. Give anything by Gates a try first and see if they have anything.

I've hunted for replacements for discontinued general purpose OEM hoses a lot over the years to be able to pass smog visual. One of the craziest I came across for a MUCH thicker vacuum connection which the OEM hose set had been discontinued for after trying many aftermarket hoses was to buy a new OEM Toyota EVAP hose for a certain year Tundra. This hose had one diameter 90% of the way and then flared out to a larger diameter for the last 10% on the other end. The majority of it was the right length but I didn't need the flared larger diameter part so I just cut that off VERY cleanly and routed it like the old ripped stock hose, attached the factory tension clamps and.... it looked as if it were 100% stock. And it was also exactly the same type and standard of hose that Toyota used in the first place.

My point being: Usually matching an old broken/cracked, ripped or worn out OEM hose with the right inner-diameter generic hose can do the trick. Sometimes you have to get even more creative and just get some hose from another Toyota or Lexus and cut it down to size. The only cases where you absolutely MUST get the exact same OEM hose part for your model in order to pass smog visual is if the part is a specially formed/ribbed/shaped thing like an intake hose.
thank you for the detailed answer Kahn, my friend and I actually replaced the hose with generic hose from and auto parts store, car was running fine until we saw smoke from passenger side of engine near where the bottom of that hose is,and now won’t start which I will post about in a separate thread. Very bummed but persistent to get my car going.
Old 02-18-22, 02:45 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by ObSCessed
thank you for the detailed answer Kahn, my friend and I actually replaced the hose with generic hose from and auto parts store, car was running fine until we saw smoke from passenger side of engine near where the bottom of that hose is,and now won’t start which I will post about in a separate thread. Very bummed but persistent to get my car going.
Whoa! Okay, hang on... can you tell or show the center composition of the OEM broken hose? It may be that the grade of hose that is needed to replace the original is a fuel grade hose. Sometimes a lower grade generic replacement hose that can only do simple vacuum connections without much heat being involved is not good enough.

What kind of connection is this hose making, again? From what kind of component in the engine bay to what?

Worst case scenario we need to find you a suitable same diameter and nearly similar length OEM Toyota/Lexus hose of the same grade/composition to cleanly cut to the right size for a proper and permanent replacement of the original.

That is assuming that the generic hose itself was the cause of the smoke and malfunction issue.

EDIT: Okay, I just saw your other thread. I did not initially understand that you were replacing a PCV hose. In that case you absolutely DO need a strong grade of hose that can handle the hot gasses being vented directly from inside the valve cover back into the intake stream.

Using an aftermarket generic hose that just fits properly but which is not rated for that kind of sustained heat is definitely going to disintegrate quickly.

I'll have to look this up a bit but from here I would *begin* with fuel line grade hoses but really we need to find you a rubber hose that is rated for the kind of heat application that PCV lines go through all the time.

Over time any car's PCV hoses tend to become less supple, become brittle and eventually crack due to years of heating and cooling cycles.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-18-22 at 02:50 AM.
Old 02-26-22, 12:05 PM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

Whoa! Okay, hang on... can you tell or show the center composition of the OEM broken hose? It may be that the grade of hose that is needed to replace the original is a fuel grade hose. Sometimes a lower grade generic replacement hose that can only do simple vacuum connections without much heat being involved is not good enough.

What kind of connection is this hose making, again? From what kind of component in the engine bay to what?

Worst case scenario we need to find you a suitable same diameter and nearly similar length OEM Toyota/Lexus hose of the same grade/composition to cleanly cut to the right size for a proper and permanent replacement of the original.

That is assuming that the generic hose itself was the cause of the smoke and malfunction issue.

EDIT: Okay, I just saw your other thread. I did not initially understand that you were replacing a PCV hose. In that case you absolutely DO need a strong grade of hose that can handle the hot gasses being vented directly from inside the valve cover back into the intake stream.

Using an aftermarket generic hose that just fits properly but which is not rated for that kind of sustained heat is definitely going to disintegrate quickly.

I'll have to look this up a bit but from here I would *begin* with fuel line grade hoses but really we need to find you a rubber hose that is rated for the kind of heat application that PCV lines go through all the time.

Over time any car's PCV hoses tend to become less supple, become brittle and eventually crack due to years of heating and cooling cycles.
thanks for the detailed reply Kahn, this whole smog thing has been a big ordeal but good news is I passed and my car is registered and now don’t have to deal with that bs for another 2 years hahaha, car starts fine again now, it turns out the stuff I sprayed to clean the engine was burning off and that made think that hose had popped off, it didn’t, I incorrectly labeled that hose initially, it was actually power steering idle up. Thanks for your help and I will be sure to post about my next few projects which is getting a brand new oem 97 bumper I just had painted installed!
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (02-27-22)
Old 02-27-22, 05:32 AM
KahnBB6

I'm very glad to hear that you got it fixed and passed smog!! It can be such a nightmare sometimes to diagnose the systems to get everything happy again. You found a brand new OEM 1997 SC front bumper in 2022? Awesome!! You'll love how it looks! If you don't want to locate 97-00 fog lights then you can alternatively get an aftermarket version with projector style lamps from AutoExtrude.

Trending Topics

Old 02-27-22, 09:38 AM
ObSCessed
Pit Crew

I'm very glad to hear that you got it fixed and passed smog!! It can be such a nightmare sometimes to diagnose the systems to get everything happy again. You found a brand new OEM 1997 SC front bumper in 2022? Awesome!! You'll love how it looks! If you don't want to locate 97-00 fog lights then you can alternatively get an aftermarket version with projector style lamps from AutoExtrude.
way ahead of ya, got a new set of fogs and a new grill in that deal too
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (02-28-22)