Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

sc 300 header back exauhst

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-22, 08:26 AM
vrepxr
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sc 300 header back exauhst

for some reason there seems to be none of em every where i look i just want a prefirmance header back exhaust with minimal restriction can someone please help
Old 04-02-22, 05:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

The reason this might be difficult to find is that the factory 2JZ-GE cast iron exhaust manifolds (yes, two of them) each bolt onto the factory catalytic convertor #1, then after the cat you get the single opening and flange.

There really hasn't been much incentive on the aftermarket to design a cat #1 delete pipe directly after the cast headers but a couple of aftermarket full headers do exist because it's just an easier design with a much less restrictive exhaust path.

Now after the first cat you have many options for a bolt-on mid-pipe and for axle-back dual exhaust kits. or... for mid-pipe to single exit exhaust kits.

However there isn't a whole lot of horsepower gain to be had from just a performance header and mid-pipe alone on a naturally aspirated 2JZ-GE. Also your low end torque is reduced and the power-band will shift higher with the same rev range.
The following users liked this post:
vrepxr (05-26-22)
Old 07-07-22, 07:58 PM
vrepxr
10th Gear

thank I now picked out an exhaust and when I wrote that I was just looking at a sc300 but I have now bought it as my first car a 1992 that's been sitting for 6 years. now do you know any other ways to gain horse power on the 1992 other then turbo.
Old 07-07-22, 08:45 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vrepxr
thank I now picked out an exhaust and when I wrote that I was just looking at a sc300 but I have now bought it as my first car a 1992 that's been sitting for 6 years. now do you know any other ways to gain horse power on the 1992 other then turbo.
There have been a VERY small handful of all-motor race-spec and race fuel only 2JZ-GE builds with power ranging anywhere from 190whp to an absolute maximum of 300whp in the rarest cases (a bone stock 2JZ-GE makes 180whp on the dyno when in good health)... BUT these have often cost 3-4x the amount that it takes to do a 1JZ-GTE swap, 2JZ-GTE swap or NA-T build each fully capable of making 400whp-500whp on pump gas and on up to 700whp or higher. $25k+ is the cost invested last I checked for one Supra MKIV owner to do all custom work with an open checkbook for his 2JZ-GE engine in an all-motor build just because he wanted to try something different in his track-only racecar.

Perhaps less than ten people worldwide have gone that route... and for a good reason.

Swapping to a turbo JZ engine or setting up your 2JZ-GE for turbocharging are much more affordable and practical ways to make power with a JZ series engine. The JZ series was always designed with forced induction as the primary intention with naturally aspirated versions as offshoots. They don't respond well to NA tuning the way a Honda B-series, Honda K-series or GM LS series does. But throw boost at them with a good fuel system and good engine management and making more power comes easily.
Old 07-07-22, 09:51 PM
vrepxr
10th Gear

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
There have been a VERY small handful of all-motor race-spec and race fuel only 2JZ-GE builds with power ranging anywhere from 190whp to an absolute maximum of 300whp in the rarest cases (a bone stock 2JZ-GE makes 180whp on the dyno when in good health)... BUT these have often cost 3-4x the amount that it takes to do a 1JZ-GTE swap, 2JZ-GTE swap or NA-T build each fully capable of making 400whp-500whp on pump gas and on up to 700whp or higher. $25k+ is the cost invested last I checked for one Supra MKIV owner to do all custom work with an open checkbook for his 2JZ-GE engine in an all-motor build just because he wanted to try something different in his track-only racecar.

Perhaps less than ten people worldwide have gone that route... and for a good reason.

Swapping to a turbo JZ engine or setting up your 2JZ-GE for turbocharging are much more affordable and practical ways to make power with a JZ series engine. The JZ series was always designed with forced induction as the primary intention with naturally aspirated versions as offshoots. They don't respond well to NA tuning the way a Honda B-series, Honda K-series or GM LS series does. But throw boost at them with a good fuel system and good engine management and making more power comes easily.
so engine swap
Old 07-08-22, 06:10 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by vrepxr
so engine swap
As I said, is HAS been done...

https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-10751865
https://www.supraforums.com/threads/...#post-11841041

...but only very rarely, at great expense with all custom work and mostly to create something different rather than being nearly as powerful or cost-for-cost as economical as a turbo setup.

A 1JZ-GTE or 2JZ-GTE engine swap or an NA-T build will all be more cost effective and practical than an NA 2JZ all-out engine build. 2JZ-GE's in their factory stock NA state of tune are fine engines but it really makes more sense to boost them if more power is desired. And 1992-1997 2JZ-GE's are just as internally strong as a stock 2JZ-GTE is (same quality and strength rods, pistons and crankshaft and the cylinder head and cams handle turbocharging without issue).