Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Knock sensors and coolant sensor wiring ripped out by mad tech

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-22, 04:56 PM
Pigsflying
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Knock sensors and coolant sensor wiring ripped out by mad tech

Hello, I have purchased a 93 sc300 that a bad/mad tech ripped all the wiring, breaking all the connectors into tiny winey pieces. See Pic... I need to know what color goes where.

5 wires damaged lead to 2 1 pin knock sensors and a large & small coolant temp sensor. One of the coolant sensors is a 2 pin.

Love the zip strip holding the plug... awesome Where should this line feed

different angle
Old 05-18-22, 11:47 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,237 Likes on 864 Posts

WOW.....

That tech is a colossal jerk! Unbelievable stupidity.

This will take a bit of investigating to fully sort out. Do you have an electrical multimeter that you can use? With the wiring schematic TSRM what I would suggest is taking your multimeter, set it into continuity mode (the one that beeps when a circuit is completed) and pull off the ECU connector.

From the TSRM you will be able to reference the entire ECU connector pinout where each and every one of those wires goes. And then you will be able to verify each connection that the stupid technician cut into and messed up.

It looks like he got into some other wires including the front intake manifold ground connection. With that kind of ham-fisted bad work you should also double check the both the front and rear intake manifold ground connections are set back to the way Toyota set them up and you should also check to make sure that the ground connection at the back of the cylinder head (at the rear engine hook bolt) is also intact and still connected at the firewall.

The 2-wire coolant temp sensor goes directly to the ECU. The 1-wire coolant sensor goes directly into the instrument cluster's coolant temp gauge connection.

Note: When looking through this TSRM remember to differentiate between the sections that deal specifically in SC300 wiring and the section that deal specifically in SC400 wiring. The ECU "A" and "B" connectors look exactly the same for both cars but the connections on each are different.
Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Bimmerbill (05-20-22)
Old 05-19-22, 04:55 AM
Pigsflying
5th Gear

He was mad the previous owner would not pay him more than originally quoted. After searching through the schematics for a hour, I could not see what color the wire is to the knock sensors, and I could not find the oil pressure sending unit... I wish I had a picture of said harness showing what wire color feeds what connector, so I can hook everything back up, a link to some good pictures would be a big help as well. One large brown wire, Guessing knock: yellow/green & yellow/black guessing coolant two pin, and black/white??? but i need to know not be guessing. I also need to know where the bypassed coolant bypass hose should feed. I will make/replace grounds. The OBDII port is not the modern port its a square block shape that wont fit my scan tool... I h8 having to check pins at the ECU. Thanks for your speedy response to my email. -Chris

Last edited by Pigsflying; 05-19-22 at 05:02 AM. Reason: messed up
Old 05-19-22, 06:46 PM
Pigsflying
5th Gear

I have searched for the OPS / oil pressure sensor on the TSRM and I can't fine the pin. Could you give me a clue...plz. All else is repaired and Ill post pics when done in the am. Thx Chris

right oil senor is eluding my TSRM searches
Old 05-22-22, 12:47 PM
Pigsflying
5th Gear

Default Almost time to test

A few hours tomorrow and i'll know what started this mess...

Rain has been getting me wet...