Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So what happened with the EFI supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 11:05 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey gang,

Just throwing around ideas....if TRD can develop, market and sell a complete supercharger kit for the 4700 in the trucks for the price of ~$3500.....why should it cost 5k or more for this SC kit? The TRD kit also has a upgraded fuel system and piggyback ecu to control an additional injector...all supplied in the kit. BTW, TRD is not selling many of the V8 superchargers and dealers are starting to sell them off at low prices. I think the light at the end of the SC400 tunnel is starting to go out. RIP We will keep the car around and use it for daily duties....too bad, I was keeping this car pristine for this project and its just turning out to be a big pain in the ****.

Last edited by ToyLexmods; 10-13-03 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 09:51 AM
Lextreme
Lexus Champion

Toylex,

You can not compare an orange to an apple. 4.7 Liter is a different animal from 4.0 liter. Its like saying $2,500 civic turbo comparing to a $20,000 Viper turbo. Every car is different and FI is not for everyone. FI is for those who wants FI. The price of used 1st gen SC400 is about 8G and FI is about 5G. Its not for everyone.

Aging engines will be to be rebuild to FI ready. If you want to play, you have to pay. Rebuilding a 1UZ will cost money, increase boost will cost money. If you dont want to spend money. Just keep your car stock. If you think the price is high, you should try to make a kit for us. If the price it good, i might buy it from you.

One thing about Lexus V8 owners, they always complaint, but never do anthing. Once performance parts come out, everyone chicken out. Once again, if you think the price is too high, why don't you make one? Stop complainting!

Last edited by Lextreme; 10-14-03 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-14-03, 10:22 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Lextreme
Toylex,

You can not compare an orange to an apple. 4.7 Liter is a different animal from 4.0 liter. Its like saying $2,500 civic turbo comparing to a $20,000 Viper turbo. Every car is different and FI is not for everyone. FI is for those who wants FI. The price of used 1st gen SC400 is about 8G and FI is about 5G. Its not for everyone.

Aging engines will be to be rebuild to FI ready. If you want to play, you have to pay. Rebuilding a 1UZ will cost money, increase boost will cost money. If you dont want to spend money. Just keep your car stock. If you think the price is high, you should try to make a kit for us. If the price it good, i might buy it from you.

One thing about Lexus V8 owners, they always complaint, but never do anthing. Once performance parts come out, everyone chicken out. Once again, if you think the price is too high, why do you make one? Stop complainting!
this completely has nothing to do with what toylex said.
Old 10-14-03, 02:34 PM
Blown SC
Rookie

DaveGS4,
Did you get my Application to be a Vendor ???
Old 10-14-03, 03:49 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If TRD had decided to develop a Supercharger for the SC400, who knows what price they would have charged? Any number put forth would be pure conjecture and speculation!! I am not surprised that TRD is not selling many charger kits- look at the economy, secondly, who wants to beef up a Toyota truck? Most guys that want a fast truck seem to go with the Lightening, or the Dodge Ram, already made fast. And, even though many are tuning trucks, it is a fraction compared to the cars being tuned.

Toy, I do not think anybody thinks the SC400 crowd is just brimming over with people foaming at the mouth to drop any amount of money on a supercharger or turbo kit. If that was the case, there would be m ore of them right now. Even in the SC300 crowd, there are not loads of FI'd cars. When the SC was introduced, it was quick, but, technology has brought on a whole new gen of small displacement cars that are light weight, fast, agile, and tunable. But even the new Jackson Racing Turbo Kit is $3,500. And that is for a 4 cylinder engine.

The 1UZ is 8, and the cost is not twice. Remember, this car was $60,000 new, and many of the people driving it today could not afford it if it were being bought new. That's just a fact of life. But the beauty is that one can buy a $60,000 car for a fraction of the price, albeit 10 -12 years old. They just need to be prepared for the costs to bring it back to stock condition-not cheap.

And, I believe most on this forum and this particular thread, if not all, are wise enough to know that Forced Induction is not for everyone. It is for a select few. So, that being the case, why are you continually attempting to sour the grapes by asking for a show of hands of how many would but a FI kit, or attempting some lame excuse of what the other prices of other TRD V8 Truck chargers cost? Your attempt at trying to mask your negativity by trying to take control of the thread by saying things such as, "Hey gang who...this and who that?", or, "Let's all send an Email to...and let them know what we think" is actually quitre distasteful, and definitely disrespectful.

If you don't like or want FI, or, if you think it should be so much cheaper (less than $3,500), why don't you build one yourself? I would like to see what you could build it for- even out of used parts!!!

But mostly I would ask that you at least give the rest of us the peace and dignity of being able to discuss FI with some excitement, as some of us are true enthusiasts that will get what we want, in spite of what ever the costs are. If you don't like what is on the thread, then don't post, or for that matter, don't even read it.

I for one, love forced induction, and, I love the SC400. My car will have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan
Old 10-14-03, 10:38 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ryan,

No, this is a free forum and expect opinions that differ from yours. Oh, and do some homework....a 92 SC400 stickered for around 43~45k....not 60k. I can dig my window sticker out if you wish. I can discuss FI with the best of them...however, this discussion is not really about FI as it is about "testing the waters to see if there is interest in a 6000 dollar supercharger kit" Do those comments ring any bells?
Old 10-14-03, 10:42 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

BTW,

Whats with all the personal attacks about building a supercharger myself. Why didnt you build you own kit? or use used parts? Get real.
Old 10-14-03, 10:49 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ok,

I think the response to this thread seems to be clear.

There are no members willing to buy a supercharger kit for the SC4 for any cost....4500, 5000, 5500, or even 6000 with the mysterous engine management.

There are no moderators willing to answer my question clearly posted in the begining of this thread. What does it take to become a vendor? What safeguards do CL members have when they trust a vendor with 60000 dollars and a group buy?

Seem to be fair questions in my opinion.
Old 10-14-03, 11:00 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

BTW,

Sticker price for a 92 SC400 with the following options...

Power moonroof
12 disc CD with upgrade radio
Traction control, heated seats
Rear spoiler
Floor mats

Ding, ding.....$41,660 with destination charge.
Old 10-14-03, 11:29 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whoever said I was talking about a 92? I did not.

Everything else you stated is not worth the time it takes to respond. Besides, It appears that your belligerence is quite apparent! I'm done with this thread. Why don't you post another reply, so that you can have the last word? Seems that is all you're interested in.

Ryan