Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So what happened with the EFI supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 02:03 PM
CrazeeSC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what happened with the EFI supercharger

Anyone know what happened? I wanted to buy one but RYA doesn't even have a phone number to call that I can find??
Old 10-12-03, 04:29 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

this thread is still on the front page. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=97487
Old 10-12-03, 07:08 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems the other thread is closed.
Is it still considered advertisement if they come here to answer questions? And if they refuse to pay for advertisement, does this mean we are forbidden to discuss the kit?
Old 10-12-03, 08:00 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,285 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally posted by verylost
It seems the other thread is closed.
Is it still considered advertisement if they come here to answer questions? And if they refuse to pay for advertisement, does this mean we are forbidden to discuss the kit?
My understanding is they're currently in the process of becoming a vendor here. Please hold on a few.
Old 10-12-03, 10:22 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hmmm,

I wonder what it takes to become a vendor? Just some money paid up to say...."hey I am a vendor" any credit checks or business checks to verify this is a legit company? What if a new vendor goes belly up and holds the cash of 10 members? If your talking a group buy of 6k each...you do the math.
Old 10-13-03, 04:59 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

things are more complicated than what they appear on the surface.
Old 10-13-03, 05:15 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ryan called me last week (I'm on a business trip now), and I will call him back when I get home. I believe he has been out of town too, but is back now.

I'm confused too why the thread was closed. But basically, he, from my understanding, is still waiting on his kit to arrive. Once it arrives, he will make the needed mods and tweaks to it, add his parts and then get a fully workable kit for the US spec cars. Keep in mind that a straight EFI kit may not work on a US car. SO Ryan is adding parts and what not to make it work. Ryans kit was also going to have some upgrades to it.....like polishing/powder coating, just to name a few....but I can't speak on his behalf. I'll let him answer those questions. But after he gets a kit on, I'll take a look at it and give CL a write up of my thoughts. No, I don't know Ryan; I've just spoken to him a few times. But I will get a chance to see the kit and se what it does and how the car runs. I don't get anything back from doing that, I'm only doing it to help out other CL members, as if they don't live in FL, I'm sure they would like an independent evaluation of the kit, just for a little piece of mind. So feel free to PM him if you have any questions about the kit, as I'm sure he's just gun shy about waiting to post untill he becomes a CL Vendor.

I'm looking forward to the kit coming out, and can't wait to see it on his car. I'll keep everyone posted as I find out more info. Enjoy-

Last edited by Keith13b; 10-13-03 at 05:16 AM.
Old 10-13-03, 10:11 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Hey guys,

I have no doubt that Ryan is a good guy. I do have doubt as to what modifications need to be done to the EFI kit to make it US spec....I seem to think nothing, esp with the early model 92-94.

In reality, how many people are willing to step up and pay 4500 for a supercharger kit imported from Au?

Ok, now how many people are willing to pay 5500-6000 for this same kit from a US dist?

I only wish to have free market choice to buy from whom I wish. If this kit is locked to a single US dist and I cannot buy the base kit from EFI....then I may drop out completely. The 1uz is a 1uz no matter where it was shipped to....same engine, same compression, same electronics....little different ecu.

So, a count of hands....who would buy a 4500 kit and install themselves? who needs a single US dist and tech support in the US for the added 1 to 2k?
Old 10-13-03, 10:14 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Remember,

These are getting to be old cars...10-12 years old. How many people are willing to drop this money into a old car? How many miles are on these things?

I dont want polished compressors, powdercoated pipes, fancy fittings and so on that just add to the cost of this kit. I want the choice to do these things myself.
Old 10-13-03, 12:08 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 10 years old???

Hi all:

Just three things for now. Much more to come...

1)The comment was made, "These cars are now 10 years old". What does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?

2)Mum's the word until CL approval.

3)Crazee- you have a PM.

Ryan
Old 10-13-03, 05:40 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But what if Ryan doesn't go about being a licensed CL vendor? Are all further threads about the kit going to be closed?

For example, does this mean we can't discuss something like Apexi Safc until Apexi becomes a licensed vendor?
Old 10-13-03, 07:30 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe VIS should pay to advertise here...their threads are always a mile long

Edit: I really dont think Apex would pay the dough
Old 10-13-03, 07:57 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Default CL Vendor Status

I have applied...Appears to be a slow process.

Ryan
Old 10-13-03, 08:25 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Guys and Gals:

That was no ding on CL, just sometimes takes awhile due to the thoroughness of CL protecting all of us.

Ryan
Old 10-13-03, 09:39 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ryan,

Well, the comment was made because...the cars are old and getting cheap to buy. So, who tends to buy these cars? Folks with lots of cash set aside to start modding up a street machine? Na, dont think so...sure, there will be people looking to upgrade the air filter, mufflers, headlight bulbs...ect, ect. But, spend 5 to 6k on the base supercharger kit? Only a select few. Whats the average mileage you see on 92 to 94 SC400s? over a 100k?....easy. So do the math, is it a good idea to throw a 5k supercharger base kit on a 12 year old car with 130k miles on it? Taking a 8 thousand dollar car and spending 5 to 6k on a supercharger?

"These are getting to be old cars...10-12 years old. How many people are willing to drop this money into a old car? How many miles are on these things? "

"1)The comment was made, "These cars are now 10 years old". What does that have to do with the cost of tea in China?"

I asked for a count of heads....who is ready to spend 4500 on a base kit supercharger right now? Who is ready for the additionals to make this road worthy and tuned...say 7500?

Quick Reply: So what happened with the EFI supercharger